• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3.03 manual transmission help

Kauaiman

taking apart my ford 3.03 RAT transmission and am having trouble getting output shaft and gears out thru top of case. doesn't seem to be enough room! The service manual says that the input shaft comes out "after" the output shaft is taken out. I have read other internet articles that the input shaft comes right out from the front? anybody done one recently, i could use some advice. supposedly taking off the output bearing is the hard part, but it came off relatively easy.
thanks

OP
OP
K

Kauaiman

Ok , got it out. The directions said to move the input shaft forward so the input gear hits the case. I found out I needed to basically move the input bearing forward completely out of the case,then I had enough room. I don’t know how to make a post with pics, otherwise I could give a good rundown on rebuilding the bronco 3speed manual trans.

OP
OP
K

Kauaiman

Will be doing the t-case next, then rear main seal. I’m on a mission to stop the leaks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Only some of the transmissions are set up so that you can remove the input shaft from the front bearing hole.
I think it has to do with the first-gear ratios, but that's only a guess. Could be a RAT vs RAN vs whatever thing.
The one from my '71 with the lower first gear (3.2 or something like that is it?) had to come out the top like yours.

Glad you got it out. Very satisfying. The D20 should be a piece of cake after that.

Paul

OP
OP
K

Kauaiman

Called Toms bronco and tech said to pull the front input bearing before trying to remove from top of case. Worked great and after some cleaning ,start the rebuild. Thanks to all that chimed in. This is a great site for the do -it -yourself ear!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hah! Glad that worked. Sorry I didn't think of it (or look at my PM's) earlier.
Then again, earlier I might not even have thought of it anyway.%)

Glad it's apart.
By the way, what happened that you needed to take it apart in the first place? Break something, or just long-term maintenance?

Paul