• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

aluminum heads or cast

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I ran an 11:1 351 with trick flow heads. With an RV cam for a low compression engine. Ran on good pump gas. If the weather was a bit cool I could run midgrade. I even pulled the headers and put on a set of ported manifolds. Great running engine!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The aluminum head problems were mostly due to old factory heads on some vehicles and more to do with casting/design issues than anything else that's where aluminum got a bad rap. Times have changed designs and processes are much better to the point almost the whole engine can be made out of aluminum. Ive ran TFS heads since about 97 on my bronco did have one head gasket issue not long after installing them but haven't had any issues after than one.
As for radiator just get your stock one cleaned it will work fine. Mechanical fan is fine as well.

centex77

No problem with threads pulling out on my AFR's. Just use a torque wrench. The only reasons not to run aluminum heads is nostalgia and cost. If you can afford them, get them. Just better all the way around.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I'm partial to my Trick Flow heads but I wouldn't hesitate to go with them again or AFR. Don't be afraid of aluminum, oe has been using aluminum heads on iron blocks for ages.

latrucker

Contributor
AFR 165's all day, every day.......
Had these on a 331 in my bronco a few years ago. Tons of torque and the throttle was so snappy. Very fun to drive, I would get the aluminum heads no question.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For what it's worth, these pictures were taken on May 13, 2005, the engine was installed the next day, fired up, and still going strong right now. 351W (395 stroker). Heads are Edlebrock RPM using Felpro FEL1011-2 gaskets and Edelbrock Part# 8553 head bolts. I have never had overheating problems. I switched to Holley Terminator EFI in 2013 and it even dropped the operating temp a few degrees. My only complaint, which is no fault of the heads is those noisy ass Comp Cam roller rockers.

Attachments

• DSC00600.jpg
    DSC00600.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC00598.jpg
    DSC00598.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 42

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
X2 on the noisy flipping Comp Cam rockers.....rattling away for 25,000 miles now in the stroker..

Builtnotbought0

Loc.
Belen NM
I got a cheap set of them Pro Comp heads, My plan is to hammer the dog sheet out of em and see how they hold up...lmao..if they die, they die...Im building a 351 for when I blow the 302..It will be on standby ready to get stabbed...lol

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
X2 on the noisy flipping Comp Cam rockers.....rattling away for 25,000 miles now in the stroker..

Have you done any re-adjusting during that time? I'm wondering if I need to go back over them, I think they have gotten louder over the last couple years, cause I know my hearing hasn't improved...according to the wife.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Yes, no adj needed so no difference. I run a pretty high lift cam with the spyder hold down...I'm going with a more radical cam since torque isn't an issue and I'll go with a link bar setup then...see if that makes a difference.

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Yes, no adj needed so no difference. I run a pretty high lift cam with the spyder hold down...I'm going with a more radical cam since torque isn't an issue and I'll go with a link bar setup then...see if that makes a difference.
Are you implting the link bar is quieter than the spider? Anything more quiet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The only way I see the dog bone and spider being loud is if you have so much lift that the dog bones are lifting off the block when the lobe is on its nose.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Aftermarket rollers are louder in general. I think this is because they have less hydraulic adjustment range. OEM rollers should be OEM quiet unless your cam is throwing them around with rapid open / close/

If your rockers are loud that would indicate something is worn out or they are out of adjustment.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loudness can be solved with louder exhaust or louder radio, or higher speed.

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Would thicker or custom valve covers be more quiet? Not stamped? Are Lunati Rockets quieter?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk