• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spindle question converting 8 lug d44 ton5 on 5.5

68ford

Bronco Guru
Friend of mine want to go full width and found 8 lug d44 axles are more plentiful than 5 lug. Does anyone know if the spindles snout is the same on both an 8 lug and 5 lug? He knows he will need to buy new 5 lug hubs but needs correct spinle so the caliper brackets(aftermarket wilwood) will center the caliper correctly.
Other question is if he replaced both hubs and spindles so they go together, will the 8 lug axle shaft be correct length for the locking hub to work?
Thanks in advance.
Also he will have a 76 complete disc front and 9 in with the biggest 76-77 drums he will need to get rid of. If someone found him a good full width 44 high pinion NON CAST tube he would probably trade.

Last edited:

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Spindle is different. I believe the stub axle is the same 78/79 f250 and the 1/2 ton Dana 44. Jeff’s Bronco graveyard has pretty good identification of the different axle shafts. I’m putting together a 78/79 3/4 ton HP housing with 76/77 F250 big hub outters because I wanted that big hub look on my crew but also wanted the HP. I used their website to research the parts I needed.

OP
OP
68ford

68ford

Bronco Guru
Spindle is different. I believe the stub axle is the same 78/79 f250 and the 1/2 ton Dana 44. Jeff’s Bronco graveyard has pretty good identification of the different axle shafts. I’m putting together a 78/79 3/4 ton HP housing with 76/77 F250 big hub outters because I wanted that big hub look on my crew but also wanted the HP. I used their website to research the parts I needed.

I will definitely check them out. Any idea if the f250 housing have the cast wedge piece? My buddy needs one that is no cast so he can weld radius arm mounts on to the tube.

OP
OP
68ford

68ford

Bronco Guru
I seem to remember a picture with all the spindles next each other so you could compare the lengths but I can't find it on their site.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
78/79 3/4 ton would have spring perches that could be cut off. 78/79 1/2 ton would have cast wedges. 77 and earlier 1/2 ton would be welded wedges. 76-77 3/4 ton would be LP.