• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Soft Top Advice

Tony Mele

Any suggestions on choosing a soft top? Really want to avoid the loose/flapping/leaking thing. Any suggestions appreciated. Currently running a hard top, but want to try a soft top for summer - especially since I have no A/C.

OP
OP
Tony Mele

Tony Mele

Well, I managed to get the thread search option working and have discovered literally hundreds of posts on this very topic. So...I think I can find the suggestions I'm looking for.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, answers should be there.
But while I like my old Kayline and it's tight as I think you can get one, you're never going to get completely away from some flapping. Mainly in the warmer times, as the material makes it's HUGE transition from cold-shrunk, to hot-stretched and everywhere in-between.

Normally though, it's pretty quiet, tight, air-tight, and easy on the senses.
They probably do let more ambient noise into the cabin, but compared to a bare (non lined, non insulated) hard top, it's less noticeable and less "tinny" sounding inside.

And when it comes right down to it, either the Bestop, or the Rampage, or maybe even the BC Broncos tops, are all about the care taken during the installation.

Good luck in the hunt and eventual decision.

Paul

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Paul, how old is that Kayline? I had one also on one of my Broncos. Did the job! Thanks. Howard in beautiful west Michigan

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I installed it in '92 or so. Got it a couple of years before they converted to zip-out side windows, so I've got the old-school rollup safari action going on.:cool:
Still going strong with pretty clear windows and only a few blemishes so far.

Paul

CA Monkey

Loc.
Tracy
i recently bought a rampage top from wild horses. I'm really happy with it. There's a hole they want you to drill above the door striker that some have made brackets so you don't have to. Being able to take it apart and remove the windows easily makes it really nice for when the weather is good vs bad. I'm not worried about taking windows out as they go back in easily.

forgive the paint prep.... needed to go snow wheeling more than finish painting
68-bronco-in-the-snow.jpg

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
My Rampage top is coming in today. I went through the same decision process as you and I think Rampage is the best price / performance option.

If you look around, there seems to be a revolving $50 discount and free shipping based on color and material. I ordered mine from WH because they had the deal at the time.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I have a very old Kayline, a STC, and have had 3 Rampage tops. They are all very similar in the way they mount and go up and down. The old Kayline and STC are tighter fit than the Rampage but the Rampage has the zip out windows and black hardware that looks nicer, also think the rampage seals around the door better. For the money and function the Rampage is hard to beat. Not perfect but a good choice.

Bronco4x4

Rampage just has tinted windows only. Anyone want to take the lead and petition Rampage for a clear window option. I'm currently rebuilding my house and won't be able to take this on.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I've had my Rampage ~7-8 years now and love it. The windows do flap at high speeds but that does not bother me, its just the nature of the beast IMO. I just folded it down the other day and took ~15 minutes, back up tonight bc of rain in the forecast, another ~10 minutes at a relaxed pace I might add (without the windows... don't need them this time of year). In light rain conditions it does not get wet inside except minimal in the bed which is sealed so no big deal.

Attachments

• Spring No Windows.jpg
    Spring No Windows.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Spring Top Down.jpg
    Spring Top Down.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
Tony Mele

Tony Mele

Please someone tell me more about this hole that has to be drilled in the door. Or if there is a realistic way around doing that. I would rather not.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm sure someone will post up pics from an old thread. I haven't seen it discussed in awhile, so any threads are back a bit most likely.
You're not drilling in the door. You're drilling a hole 3/8" maybe?) in the door latch pillar (B-pillar) for the Rampage's rear door window frame to slide into and out of.
It's actually pretty subtle and not an annoyance at all visually, but one key reason for doing things differently would be to keep water from draining down in there and mucking things up over time.
Never had that issue with mine, and you could use silicone each time if you needed to, but it's still something to think about.

What others do instead of drilling is to create a small flat-ish bracket that attaches to the main lower rail of the soft top and extends forward over that area that you are supposed to drill the hole in. The bracket has the hole instead and you just cut your soft top's rod shorter so it no longer needs to extend into the body.

You're extending the lower rail basically, and it sits about 1/2 to 3/4 inch proud of where you would have drilled the hole. Capturing the vertical door rod above the body.

Not sure I 'splained that well enough, so wait for pics.

Paul