• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Air Shocks

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Looking for an air shock to replace a Rancho 9000XL (RS9999010).
Specs on current shock are:

* Compressed Length: 16.330
* Extended Length: 26.010
* Travel Length: 9.680
* Lower Mounting Code: L1
* Upper Mounting Code: L1

This is a 3.5" lifted Bronco. I've been digging trying to find an air shock, but can't find something that's within this spec (16" compressed, 26" extended).

Anyone have an idea? Thanks --

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not off the top of my head. The companies have played with them a bit here or there back when they were a more popular solution might no longer build the long ones. Most these days are probably for passenger cars, so won't be long enough for you.
That what you're finding?
But maybe some older car application? If you're going by specs alone already, and not by application, what you're seeing may be all that's available.

What are you trying to achieve? Load leveling? Maybe a light duty set of air bags (but still heavier duty than a standard air shock) could be the ticket.
More expensive and a bigger hassle to install, but might be worth it, and the way to go if you're packing a couple weeks worth of stuff and want to travel for a long distance.

Not that anyone would do that of course...

There have been a few threads over the last two or three years looking for that, so maybe someone here has found some numbers that work for you.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Not off the top of my head. The companies have played with them a bit here or there back when they were a more popular solution might no longer build the long ones. Most these days are probably for passenger cars, so won't be long enough for you.
That what you're finding?
But maybe some older car application? If you're going by specs alone already, and not by application, what you're seeing may be all that's available.

What are you trying to achieve? Load leveling? Maybe a light duty set of air bags (but still heavier duty than a standard air shock) could be the ticket.
More expensive and a bigger hassle to install, but might be worth it, and the way to go if you're packing a couple weeks worth of stuff and want to travel for a long distance.

Not that anyone would do that of course...

There have been a few threads over the last two or three years looking for that, so maybe someone here has found some numbers that work for you.

Good luck.

Paul

Thanks Paul -- I've loaded the Bronco for our Baja trip, and it's got a decent squat to it. I'm pretty sure that's going to translate into poor handling on the road, based on past experience. I'll put a hundred miles on it tomorrow and see how it goes, but I'm sure it's going to want to wander, and I can't have that on the narrow sections of Baja pavement. I've got dual rear shocks and thought maybe an air shock on each side would level me up. I'm second guessing that and think I might just do an overload spring. I'm calling a local spring company tomorrow and see what they say. The good news is that while crawling underneath it, my buddy saw that I was missing bump stops! :eek: So.. check the WH order que! ;D;D

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
One of the drawbacks of the new softer springs is that sag.
My original five leaf pack rode terrible, but towed great.
My present eleven leaf pack rides great, but sags and motorboats from trailer tongue weight.
I bought a set of Gabriel Hijackers on Ebay. The vendor listed the extended/collapsed length.
They actually ride very good, with and without the trailer.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
An add-a-leaf isn't a bad idea actually. Unless you meant like an overload leaf that sat on top with clamps? If an additional leaf to go into the pack, that could work very well.
Some members here have done just that over the years.
I don't know if companies like Helwig or the one or two others that make/made top-mounted overload springs still have some for Bronco-sized springs, but that's an option too.
I'm pretty sure we don't have any "take outs" from a pack you could have, but maybe one of the other vendors have some? Throw a long thin leaf or two in there and you could get just the load capacity you need.

Luckily if you have a local spring shop they could probably make you one faster than you could get one shipped to you.

Good luck no matter what floats the boat though! Trip's looming, and you definitely want that front end back down.

Have a great trip!
In a pinch, spread that load among your cohorts! After all you've done they should be happy to carry your spare beer.;):(

Paul

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
I found this link in another thread and it seems to address the issue of limiting travel with bags. http://www.daystarweb.com/productdetail.php?productID=1232 I called and spoke to their tech support (very helpful folks) and I made a command decision to go with bags using these cups. Now all I need to do is figure out how long the bags need to be and get them ordered. I think this is going to be a good solution that allows me to go back to my nice ride when I'm not loaded.

So if anyone knows how to determine the correct size bag, throw me a bone!

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Looking for an air shock to replace a Rancho 9000XL (RS9999010).
Specs on current shock are:

* Compressed Length: 16.330
* Extended Length: 26.010
* Travel Length: 9.680
* Lower Mounting Code: L1
* Upper Mounting Code: L1

This is a 3.5" lifted Bronco. I've been digging trying to find an air shock, but can't find something that's within this spec (16" compressed, 26" extended).

Anyone have an idea? Thanks --

Here's one that might work - eyelets on both ends
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mon-ma837/overview/

DJs74

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow, two good finds! I'm guessing that the shocks would be the quickest/easiest to use though. Depends on what kind of time you have to mess around.

I remember that some air-shocks were not rated for very much, so were more appropriate for passenger cars (think station wagons and big trunks) than they were for trucks.
But those listed are for Dodge Ram pickups, so they should be more than stout enough for what you're planning.

Crossing fingers it all works out. Whichever way you go.

Paul

DJs74

Bronco Guru
FWIW, back in the day (1980s / 1990s) when I could not afford $500 suspension lifts for my F150s, I went the air shock route front and back a couple of times. With the 429s & 460s up front, the air shocks had their work cut out for them but they never failed me. If memory serves me right, about 100 PSI in the front shocks lifted my F150 with the 429 about 2.5", I would assume they should be manufactured the same today and hopefully with even better materials and higher reliability... but we know that's not always the case!

See attached pic of my 1978 F150 w/429CJ & with air shocks. This picture was taken in 1989.

DJs74

Attachments

• BLUE 78.jpg
    BLUE 78.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Wow, two good finds! I'm guessing that the shocks would be the quickest/easiest to use though. Depends on what kind of time you have to mess around.

I remember that some air-shocks were not rated for very much, so were more appropriate for passenger cars (think station wagons and big trunks) than they were for trucks.
But those listed are for Dodge Ram pickups, so they should be more than stout enough for what you're planning.

Crossing fingers it all works out. Whichever way you go.

Paul

Paul -- I'm running the WH 3.5" leafs -- wonder why these wouldn't do the trick? Talk about cheap and easy! I drove about 80 mi today, highway and city. I definitely need to do something because it's wanting to roam the lane way more than it should. I'm headed to Denver Spring and Suspension on Friday to let them take a look, but these look like exactly what I need. Thoughts?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hel-991?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-hellwig&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqKLo37Kz2gIVx8DICh1EWguyEAQYAiABEgIpBPD_BwE

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, nothing wrong with that design at all. As long as the length is appropriate for a Bronco-length spring. Which I think it would be, as we used to do that type on many different vehicles over the years.
Check to see if Helwig still offers multiple versions, in case there are different length versions available. Don't want to put it into interference distance of the eyes/shackles, OR the spring clamps I would not think.

But capacity-wise, they should be great as long as we're not talking about a huge load. Any idea what kind of additional weight in the Bronco we're talking about here? Maybe no more than 400-500 lbs (I hope!) perhaps? Then they can work great.
You can also tighten the end bolts down slightly too, to pre-load the helper springs for additional assistance.
You don't want some overload/helper springs too tight, or they can create stress points in theory. But this single-leaf design doesn't look like that will be much of an issue.
And you have the double-wrap to get you home, just in case something does happen to the main leaf anyway.

Good luck. Hope it works out.

paul

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Yeah, nothing wrong with that design at all. As long as the length is appropriate for a Bronco-length spring. Which I think it would be, as we used to do that type on many different vehicles over the years.
Check to see if Helwig still offers multiple versions, in case there are different length versions available. Don't want to put it into interference distance of the eyes/shackles, OR the spring clamps I would not think.

But capacity-wise, they should be great as long as we're not talking about a huge load. Any idea what kind of additional weight in the Bronco we're talking about here? Maybe no more than 400-500 lbs (I hope!) perhaps? Then they can work great.
You can also tighten the end bolts down slightly too, to pre-load the helper springs for additional assistance.
You don't want some overload/helper springs too tight, or they can create stress points in theory. But this single-leaf design doesn't look like that will be much of an issue.
And you have the double-wrap to get you home, just in case something does happen to the main leaf anyway.

Good luck. Hope it works out.

paul

Thanks - I actually used their website to get this particular model that is supposed to be for my Bronco. When I did a YouTube search for install, it showed a Toyota truck using the same model so who knows! Lol. I’ll see what the local spring guys say Friday and make a decision on which way to go (for this trip, anyway). I’m probably about 350 lbs of added weight, but that’s on top of my beast Protofab bumper with dual carriers and a 33x12 spare....thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Maybe you need an old style front grill mounted spare and another Daktari type spare on the hood too. then you can get the weight off.

You guys need logistics management. Think there's 13 Broncos each with a spare tire that's 13 spares maybe times 2, with 26 crescent wrenches, 13 sets of wrenches, 26 hammers, socket sets, pliers and screwdrivers and so on. Then there's drive shafts, axles and u-joints galore. Maybe you guys are working this all out and I hope so.

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Maybe you need an old style front grill mounted spare and another Daktari type spare on the hood too. then you can get the weight off.

You guys need logistics management. Think there's 13 Broncos each with a spare tire that's 13 spares maybe times 2, with 26 crescent wrenches, 13 sets of wrenches, 26 hammers, socket sets, pliers and screwdrivers and so on. Then there's drive shafts, axles and u-joints galore. Maybe you guys are working this all out and I hope so.

Yeah, believe it or not this isn’t my first rodeo. We’ve got an extremely comprehensive logistics plan that includes shared parts/tools list. There might be 12 Broncos, but that just means 12 versions of a Bronco. Spare tires seem simple but guess how many of us are running the same tires (size)? Not 12, that’s for sure.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now that you mention it... You all just HAVE to have those old desert-cool burlap bags hanging off the front of the front-mounted spare tires too!
Man, wouldn't that look cool. Every Bronco's bag could have a different logo on it too. Camel cigarette ad on one, some chewing tobacco brand on another one, Florida orange growers brand on still another. Some California nuts and Federal Ammo on others.
Man, I bet you could get some advertising dollars to supplement the trip!

Something to consider...;)

Paul

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Now that you mention it... You all just HAVE to have those old desert-cool burlap bags hanging off the front of the front-mounted spare tires too!
Man, wouldn't that look cool. Every Bronco's bag could have a different logo on it too. Camel cigarette ad on one, some chewing tobacco brand on another one, Florida orange growers brand on still another. Some California nuts and Federal Ammo on others.
Man, I bet you could get some advertising dollars to supplement the trip!

Something to consider...;)

Paul

Would you believe that I always have one of these in my Bronco? ;D;D

I grew up in AZ and we always drove old cars, so my old man used these all the time. Best I remember, they would drop the radiator temp about 10 degrees pretty quickly. For some reason, I keep a few around. I'll be sporting one on our trip. Talk to Jim, and I'll run the WH logo on there! LOL

Attachments

• Water Bags.jpg
    Water Bags.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 25

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh man! Seeing those sure brings back memories. Amazing how commonplace they were at one time. Not to mention pull-outs at every surface spring so you could refill, lots of turnouts on those uphill twisty roads at high altitudes, and nobody honking their horn as the line was piling up, because they were, or had at one time been in the same boat.

I remember a Buick that could hit 140mph with ease, pull from 55 to 75 in just a couple of seconds, but sputtered along at about 10mph tops heading over the Continental Divide. Holding the choke plates open with rubber bands so they wouldn't flood above 5000' elevations, running radiator blocks in the winter, desert bags in the summer, and getting in line at the local natural spring on the way to Santa Cruz along with all the other overheating cars and trucks.
We used to have a pretty good time hanging out with strangers having issues in common on the sides of old roads.
Hope your trip has the same "feel" to it, if hopefully without the same issues we used to deal with daily.

Wasn't so bad...;)

Paul