• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

aluminum heads or cast

johnbeck

I can get aluminum 165 heads(almost new) for my 302 (at the machine shop now), for $800. New cast iron, same heads, 800 plus rocker arms, etc. Assuming good heads, do I go with cast or aluminum? The question for me is am I going to have any problems with the aluminum heads (stripping bolt holes out, etc.). Is there any significant advantage to the Al. heads with the same specs as the cast iron other than the weight advantage? Thanks

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
If they are good brand heads then I would always use aluminum. Lighter weight, better knock protection, cooler running engine, same or more HP. 165s are. astock replacement so when people start yamming on about aluminum is race only, upper rpm, just ignore them. 220s would be a different story.

If they are cheap Chinese heads I would not even touch them if you were giving them away. They are never flat, bolt holes are not blind and oil leaches up the threads of valve cover bolts and intake bolts. Junk junk junk springs, valves, retainers and valve jobs.

OP
OP
J

johnbeck

An old mechanic friend says if the aluminum heads get hot you can easily loose a head gasket. ANY one experience gasket problems, or other problems with Al heads they wouldn't have experienced with cast. I have to buy one or the other today, but I'll be stuck with the decision for years! Your wisdom is appreciated. Thanks

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
An old mechanic friend says if the aluminum heads get hot you can easily loose a head gasket. ANY one experience gasket problems, or other problems with Al heads they wouldn't have experienced with cast. I have to buy one or the other today, but I'll be stuck with the decision for years! Your wisdom is appreciated. Thanks

That is true sort of........back in the day.....

The Alum heads heat up faster than the iron block and back in the day there were some issues with head gaskets not lasting as long due to the uneven heating. Head gasket manufacturer have all that under control now. Tones of factory stuff with iron block alum head combo

What brand are they. If they're Procomp brand alum, please do some reading on the mustang sites before you buy. From what I've read, good castings, bad build parts. Buy them bare and have them build is the way to go but read and decide for yourself.

I have cast iron heads on my Bronco but have alum on my 390FE Stang.

Tim

OP
OP
J

johnbeck

Tim, the heads are Air Flow Research 165cc Street Cylinder Heads. You have both Al and cast. Any real difference other than weight? Thanks - (Got to pull the trigger in a couple hours!).

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Oh yeah......

This is on a Big Block 390FE

Edelbrock head 28lbs there bouts
Cast iron FE 47lbs closer to 50

No ideal on the small block heads

Tim

Jluck

Tim, the heads are Air Flow Research 165cc Street Cylinder Heads. You have both Al and cast. Any real difference other than weight? Thanks - (Got to pull the trigger in a couple hours!).

You would be nuts not to get those AFR heads for that price!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Ford early on had problems with long term sealing of head gaskets on aluminium heads to cast iron engine blocks. they spent a ton of money perfecting and getting it right. I would use Motorsport Ford head gaskets if you can find them in your combination.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Get the AFRs. Way more advantages then just weight. I would say weight is the least significant improvement. Modern flow designs. Better chamber design. Better heat charistics. No more likely to loose a head gasket than an iron head these days.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Ok. So I'm old. Older than some, and a l. ot older than others here.
I hate aluminum stuff. I'll go to great measures to avoid it.
I hear it a lot. Aluminum heads ping less, weigh less, and they're pretty. Bla, bla, bla...
The downside is the threads strip easier and their seal surfaces corrode more easily.
I'm running 9.7 compression with these Windsor Jr. cast iron heads. They don't ping a bit!
Do the research. Bill Mitchell products speak for themselves.
https://www.billmitchellproducts.co...l-bind-1-160-max-lift-500-assembled-each.html

Jluck

Ok. So I'm old. Older than some, and a l. ot older than others here.
I hate aluminum stuff. I'll go to great measures to avoid it.
I hear it a lot. Aluminum heads ping less, weigh less, and they're pretty. Bla, bla, bla...
The downside is the threads strip easier and their seal surfaces corrode more easily.
I'm running 9.7 compression with these Windsor Jr. cast iron heads. They don't ping a bit!
Do the research. Bill Mitchell products speak for themselves.
https://www.billmitchellproducts.co...l-bind-1-160-max-lift-500-assembled-each.html

Sounds like someone's doing it wrong and for maybe a long time.

matts460

Aluminum heads can be repaired easier than cast iron. I use edelbrock e street aluminum heads for the Bronco. No matter what heads you buy might have quality machine shop give them once over. At very least you can make sure valves are sealing and all hardware like rocker studs are torqued properly and have sealant on threads if required. And check make sure pushrod guide plates are centered properly. Newer aluminum heads should have pretty thick deck to help keep from warping. Oh ya there way lighter! I have 460 with aluminum heads my god cast heads are 80 lbs!!! 302 heads are heavy too. installing new aluminum heads is almost kinda fun just because you can easly manage them bock into place without getting hernia!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Get the AFR heads...Great quality...

Do NOT worry about the head gasket or cast to alum "issue".

Literally tens of thousands of cars running alum heads on cast blocks...no more issues when done right with alum heads on cast block than cast heads on cast blocks...

I would recommend you thoroughly check out Cometic head gaskets for your application...go to head gasket.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I would go AFR if your going aluminum. The last couple of engine builders locally told met that AFR produces the only out of the box head that is ready to bolt on as is.

I was looking at a set of edelbrocks and it was going cost me more money before they would have been ready to roll.

Nothing wrong with a good set of cast heads either.

OP
OP
J

johnbeck

I'm suppose to pick up the AFR 165 heads Monday. Any suggestion on a radiator to keep the heads cool? I had my C4 rebuilt while the engine is out so seems like the time to pick up a radiator. Do I need an electric fan? Thanks

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those AFR 165cc heads might be the best Aluminum heads for any 302-351 motor, period. They are torque monster build heads with excellent throttle response. I would add an XE256H or XE262H Comp Cam for low end torque for your 302. The XE262H Cam in a Stroked 347 would be great too.

If you don't buy the AFR heads, let me know where they are and I will buy them in a heart beat for $800.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Just make sure your axle gearing and tire sizes are proper especially with an automatic transmission or your going to fight excessive heat that your cooling system has to get rid of.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
My TF 205 cc CNC ported heads are (connected to shorties)...I did tons of research and if I was debating btw AFR and TF again, I'd stick with TF again, but go with their 11r series...

Like I said before...pick these up but have a very knowledgeable head builder check the keepers, spring pressure, etc...

Last edited: