• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Timing Pointer question

Builtnotbought0

Loc.
Belen NM
So Im really wanting to figure out something different for where the timing pointer needs to go. Right now it will be under the lower radiator hose fill and Ill never be able to see it... Can I put something on the other side? Is it going to throw my timing off if its not next to the arrow? Thanks

Attachments

• 20180421_214401.jpg
    20180421_214401.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 20180421_170215.jpg
    20180421_170215.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 63

DJs74

Bronco Guru
So Im really wanting to figure out something different for where the timing pointer needs to go. Right now it will be under the lower radiator hose fill and Ill never be able to see it... Can I put something on the other side? Is it going to throw my timing off if its not next to the arrow? Thanks

First of all, that is a very great looking motor! ;D

The harmonic balancer marks will dictate the pointer location but there are balancers with multiple sets of numbers - so the short answer is yes, you can move the pointer to the other side but unless the timing numbers are there, it won't help too much.
The "0" should be consistent with TDC, the rest of the numbers are relevant to TDC.
On my 351W and 302, the pointer was on the passenger side lower corner of the timing cover.

DJs74

OP
OP
Builtnotbought0

Builtnotbought0

Loc.
Belen NM
First of all, that is a very great looking motor! ;D

The harmonic balancer marks will dictate the pointer location but there are balancers with multiple sets of numbers - so the short answer is yes, you can move the pointer to the other side but unless the timing numbers are there, it won't help too much.
The "0" should be consistent with TDC, the rest of the numbers are relevant to TDC.
On my 351W and 302, the pointer was on the passenger side lower corner of the timing cover.

DJs74

Thanks...So is there any way I can put it on TDC, then mark where TDC is on the Harmonic balancer instead of buying another harmonic balancer? or do I just need to spring for another balancer? Thanks

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Thanks...So is there any way I can put it on TDC, then mark where TDC is on the Harmonic balancer instead of buying another harmonic balancer? or do I just need to spring for another balancer? Thanks

Yes, you can definitely make your own mark - scribe it, white ink, paint or I think you can buy some actual stick on / tape type degree numbers. It is totally up to you as to where you would like your "0" and pointer within 360°

I would first find TDC and/or line up the "0" with the pointer where it is supposed to be (just so you know you are truly at TDC and "0")

Then, you can mark the balancer at any location that works for you and where your pointer placement will be visible. Probably best to install your pointer in its fixed location first, then line things up and mark your balancer last.

TDC will be TDC no matter where the "0" and pointer end up being... driver side, passenger side, bottom, top, its totally up to you and where you want it if you are going to make your own set of numbers and determine your pointer location.

DJs74

OP
OP
Builtnotbought0

Builtnotbought0

Loc.
Belen NM
Yes, you can definitely make your own mark - scribe it, white ink, paint or I think you can buy some actual stick on / tape type degree numbers. It is totally up to you as to where you would like your "0" and pointer within 360°

I would first find TDC and/or line up the "0" with the pointer where it is supposed to be (just so you know you are truly at TDC and "0")

Then, you can mark the balancer at any location that works for you and where your pointer placement will be visible. Probably best to install your pointer in its fixed location first, then line things up and mark your balancer last.

TDC will be TDC no matter where the "0" and pointer end up being... driver side, passenger side, bottom, top, its totally up to you and where you want it if you are going to make your own set of numbers and determine your pointer location.

DJs74

Timing tape........

Set it at #1 TDC and then move the timing pointer to the other side and use timing tape.

I'm not sure what tape is correct for a SBF.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...XJjSC0lC4rlfW1adfaRoC1X8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Tim

Awesome..Thats exactly what I was wanting to do. Thanks for your help.

DJs74

Bronco Guru
FWIW, I use liquid white out sometimes... its stays on and works great. I use 2 pieces of masking tape each side of the mark, then paint the white out on over the tape, let dry, remove the tape and it leaves a nice white stripe over the balancer mark.

Carburetor cleaner barely brings it off... it's pretty permanent.

DJs74

OP
OP
Builtnotbought0

Builtnotbought0

Loc.
Belen NM
FWIW, I use liquid white out sometimes... its stays on and works great. I use 2 pieces of masking tape each side of the mark, then paint the white out on over the tape, let dry, remove the tape and it leaves a nice white stripe over the balancer mark.

Carburetor cleaner barely brings it off... it's pretty permanent.

DJs74

Awesome. You have any pictures?

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Awesome. You have any pictures?

Not currently, I only do that to old rusty used ones that I can't see the marks on. The last build I made I purchased a new balancer from Summit Racing - Professional Products brand.

DJs74

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even if the Mustang damper is a different size than the one on your Bronco, the zero point is still zero. You can make adjustments to your thinking from there.
The error range is pretty small anyway, if your tape is for a 7" diameter damper and yours is at 7.25" instead. Well within a reasonable range if all you're doing is tuning by ear anyway. If it pings at 14° BTDC, lower it to an indicated 12° or wherever it's happiest.
Whether the actual degrees is 1 or 2 degrees off from that indicated, won't be a deal breaker.

Timing tape is a great thing.

Paul