• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering box

doogie928

I need a new power steering box for my '73. I've heard that instead of installing the really expensive factory model, you can install a better and newer model from a Ford pick-up. Any truth to this? If so, does anyone have a link for installation? My guess is that it won't bolt right up. Thanks!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Definitely not a bolt in. Hole pattern is different requiring either new holes in the frame or an adapter plate. If using the adapter plate, it then requires slight modification to the steering linkage or pitman arm. U-joint at the steering box is different than the OEM box and due to the larger size of the 4x4x2, the steering shaft will likely need to be shortened as well.

It's probably the most popular PS swap these days. I've sold between 40 and 50 of the boxes in the last eight years. If you're interested in one, shoot me a message.

OP
OP
D

doogie928

Thanks for the info! The links on the bronco website wouldn’t work so I left a message and waiting to hear back. Mines not a wheeler but the stock style is pretty pricey.