• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Scoop's 72 Patina Build

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I couldn't find any specific info on their website or FB page except one reference to "Mike". I feel like maybe it's Mike Kirkus, who had Complete Off Road in Illinois (I think) but I'm not sure. To me, that cage might capture the look, but not the features of the originals: no mounting plates to bolt to multiple planes, no tabs to tie into the quarter panels and I'm not crazy about a sleeve on the main hoop.

Todd Z.

Todd, I agree. The tabs to the quarter panels could be fabbed and added easily. Not sure I can correctly envision the "mounting plates to bolt to multiple planes" - any pics of that? Again, maybe I could fab those. The true Stroppe bar had a center bend on the main hoop, correct? It would be hard to duplicate the bend with a sleeve but I think with a few plug welds the sleeve could be made as strong as the hoop.

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With what you guys are saying makes me think my bar is a Stroppe or a good knock off from back in the day. Someone added some kicker bars to it though from main hoop back to the top of rear bars.

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pictures of the mounting of the Stroppe bar..

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 150
OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Pictures of the mounting of the Stroppe bar..

Yup, count 'em . . . 26 bolts!

Thanks Dennis, that clears it up.

Funny thing is, the roll bar I could not use was a K Bar S bar.

Attachments

• IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0096.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 123

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine is just like that but different! Mine uses 32 Bolts Including the front bars and a few more bolts for the main hoop. I thought It was a knock off but ya'll got me to hoping.

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The front bar of the Stroppe (hoop) is all one piece of DOM, with all three bends in the tubing. Three... it has a maybe 85 degree bend on the outboard sides and a slight bend in the middle of the bar so it fits perfectly to the top. Like Todd mentioned, the more you look, you realize ole Bill was on the ball!..

A picture is the best description...

Attachments

• Stroppe rollbar.JPG
    Stroppe rollbar.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 116

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yup, count 'em . . . 26 bolts!

Thanks Dennis, that clears it up.

Funny thing is, the roll bar I could not use was a K Bar S bar.

That's a cool sticker for sure Gary!... even if the bar is bent! Was the bar in another Bronco and got damaged?

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
That's a cool sticker for sure Gary!... even if the bar is bent! Was the bar in another Bronco and got damaged?

Yes damaged in a slow roll over. It was tweaked plus the padding held in water and it was rusted/pitted very badly in several places. The rust alone would have made it unsafe. The sticker was a shipping label and I ruined it getting the padding off. So just a photo now . . .

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I found a "new" top in very good condition for a reasonable price and got it fitted up today. It's just a temporary install (no gaskets yet) so I can do a few repairs. No serious rust but a PO had 4 holes drilled in the top for a rack and also had cut some big holes in the bottom of the rear pillar. I have no idea what these 2 holes were for?? But the top otherwise is in great shape and fits well.

IMG_0194_166665816.JPG

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the positive feedback on the company. Can you confirm if this is Mike Kirkus?

The owners name is Mike but I'm not sure of his last name. There is a picture of him on his Ebay store page but it's small and hard to see.

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I started to install a Duff 3-spd floor conversion shifter a few week ago but discovered that the body mounts had deteriorated to the point that I needed new body mounts to have enough room. I decided to install a 1 inch body lift in the process and ordered the WH body mounts with integrated 1 inch lift. Great kit. So I've spent a few hours each day for the past 2-3 days installing the body lift.

I used the lift to raise the body. Made it pretty easy. Worst part was removing the mounts from the 2 locations just behind the front seats. All the others came out fairly easily.

IMG_0207_32221530.JPG

Here is one side done. The 1 inch BL actually lifted the body about 1 1/2 inches because the original mounts had collapsed so much.

IMG_0209_257029004.JPG

You can see how big the WH mount is.

IMG_0210_951296686.JPG

And Ben, yes I covered the holes with tape!

IMG_0208_173502187.JPG

I'll post some overall pics later - the column shifter is disconnected so I can't move it out of the garage for some good pics. Next is finish the Duff floor shifter conversion and install some JB Fab twin sticks!

Bronco Biff

Just caught up with this whole thread!! Looking good!! Got the "Scoop" from Judy and Roger at the MEB Kick Off M&G today in Richmond.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I decided to install a 1 inch body lift in the process and ordered the WH body mounts with integrated 1 inch lift. Great kit. So I've spent a few hours each day for the past 2-3 days installing the body lift.

I used the lift to raise the body. Made it pretty easy. Worst part was removing the mounts from the 2 locations just behind the front seats. All the others came out fairly easily.

And Ben, yes I covered the holes with tape!
!

I always use this kit when installing new body mounts, makes it a 1 man job most of the time and no dropping hardware in the frame.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Bron...d:g:0IkAAOxyuR5Tboqs:rk:4:pf:1&frcectupt=true

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I always use this kit when installing new body mounts, makes it a 1 man job most of the time and no dropping hardware in the frame.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Bron...d:g:0IkAAOxyuR5Tboqs:rk:4:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Didn't know this existed! Yes, would have made it a one-man job. I was able to do everything myself except tighten the 2 behind the front seats. I sent my wife up on the lift with an impact wrench while I stayed below with a wrench on the nut! She enjoyed the ride . . .

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Didn't know this existed! Yes, would have made it a one-man job. I was able to do everything myself except tighten the 2 behind the front seats. I sent my wife up on the lift with an impact wrench while I stayed below with a wrench on the nut! She enjoyed the ride . . .

Always a good day for a ride right...