• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Liftgate Weatherstrip

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Hello all, could really use some help with installing the weatherstrip around the lift gate opening in the hardtop. Anyone have pics? Tips on how you installed it?

lift gate is out, no glass, was planning to do weatherstrip install and lift gate frame install together, then do the glass. The weatherstrip has a lip all the way around that looks like it would slide onto hardtop seam with adhesive, but there are angled plates at the top corners of the hardtop...are these stock? thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4757.jpg
    IMG_4757.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4753.jpg
    IMG_4753.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 54

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Those are stock 69-77. If you have the seal with the 90s at the corners it's the early style.

Jim

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
well shit, ordered the wrong one...the good news is I'll need it for my 66...one day

thanks for quick reply Jim

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Here’s a few pics from the ‘77 manual with instructions. Once you have the right seal, just slap some glue on both sides of the flange and stick it on. Masking tape helps hold it on the inside until it drys. It’s much easier to do before you install the lift gate.
babbeba6a79e867af34921e1deff3632.jpg

f884a5a4d7a47e16ab77954f3c9b8796.jpg

Last edited:

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought weatherstripping from an auto parts store. They had it on the shelf, universal stuff. Paid about $35 for the roll and it was almost double the length I needed. ran some glue in the seam lip, sqeezed it in a few places with pliers so it'd grip, slid it on the seam, and used to tape to hold it in place overnight while the glue set up. Had to leave the hatch open because it tried to roll the strip off the seam while closing. worked well up until I cut my roof apart.

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Thanks guys, and thanks for the diagram that's perfect. So looks like I not only need the correct liftgate weatherstrip, I also need tailgate weatherstrip and weatherstrip retainers? I'm guessing those are sold by the vendors?

tpatton75

Contributor
Stop by if you need to the blue Bronco is behind barn and unlocked just don’t open tailgate it will fall off lol, gaskets all stock

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
haha thanks Tom, think I got everything ordered that I need, and I make it a point to never show up on someones property and go behind their barn unannounced ;);D:eek: but if I do I'll wear my steel toes lol