• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Zf crossmember measurements

Btempy

Hate to post but it’s been 3 weeks and haven’t gotten response from bcbroncos in regards. Issue is centering my Zf5 with rear pinion utilizing their crossmember. Wondering if anyone has this mount and can give me measurements from inside of the crossmember frame plate to center of bushing mount so I can verify with what I have. And if anyone has had success with this and the use of a 4bt

Using trans crossmember to determining engine placement. Engine ends up shifted forward passenger, back on driver side. And accordingly tailhousing not aligned with rear pinion.. have trans shifted as far as possible in slots. If I remove mount I can get everything aligned. Of course I could simply cut and rewelded the nicely powder coated mount over toward driverside but if manufacturing error was made I wanted to hold off doing so.

Thanks!!

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
Hope this helps
bd0654c7a6728a29b51d60cc89f6cc8e.jpg
fd3444f05775f92513b54f97a38f35e4.jpg
5f73cdc1f8b2bc017ca063e063b2e029.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
3e70203d289aed8e1dad3d81e9b2f426.jpg

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
I have a 4bt with ZF and a BC cross member. I ran the ZF behind a 302 before also with the BC crossmember. I had to cut and re-weld the BC crossmember when I first got it because it was off both to the side and rear. There was ABSOLUTELY NO WAY it was ever going to fit as it was. Once fixed everything lines up nicely.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I used that crossmember when I put a M5OD in mine. It is the same x-member as the ZF. I also had to cut the mount and move it to fit. Ken

OP
OP
B

Btempy

So basically everyone had to modify the “ drop in” crossmember to work. Mine looks same as one posted passenger to middle 10-1/8. With trans shifted in slots as much as possible.

Here’s a pic

Joe473

So basically everyone had to modify the “ drop in” crossmember to work. Mine looks same as one posted passenger to middle 10-1/8. With trans shifted in slots as much as possible.

Here’s a pic

How much offset from the cent of the pinion is it?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Btempy

Hard to measure. I do know if engine was in place there’s no way mount would work. The fact that engine isn’t set in frame rails is only reason trans can bolt to crossmember. Passenger and driver is off 1/8 inch measured from front on each side. Crooked in frame. What I don’t get is why mount is off even for factory engine and it’s made to be bolt in replacement.

Kinda an answer to question; To get it to line up with pinion I’d have to move mount over like 2 inches.

Really hoping I got a crossmember that was welded up wrong, looks like I’m either cutting and rewelding or swapping over to an NV4500 and trying my luck with that crossmember

OP
OP
B

Btempy

I used that crossmember when I put a M5OD in mine. It is the same x-member as the ZF. I also had to cut the mount and move it to fit. Ken

The f250 I got my zf5 out of (100k) miles sat for 6 years cause of bad slave cylinder.. I ended up buying whole truck pulling zf trans for my 76 bronco and replacing the one in the f250 with an M5OD. Reused zf clutch line and installed in m5od slave even kept the zf clutch and pressure plate in place. Worked flawlessly.

For everyone that modified their crossmember how much did you move or could you give me measurement from inside plate. Literally just tore everything apart the other day. Have crossmember on bench

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I believe the original engine is offset to the passenger side so that is why the trans mount is offset. My cross member was a little off, not two inches.Ken

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
Mine is like yours in the pic..its not in line with the pinion on the rear end. But if it was my transfer case would not fit between tue frame rails

OP
OP
B

Btempy

Mine is like yours in the pic..its not in line with the pinion on the rear end. But if it was my transfer case would not fit between tue frame rails

That’s one thing I didn’t think about, I don’t have adapter for dana 20 so I can’t physically see how much room I have to move it over.

OP
OP
B

Btempy

I believe the original engine is offset to the passenger side so that is why the trans mount is offset. My cross member was a little off, not two inches.Ken

Probably exaggerated some on measurement. Probably somewhere around 1” mark. Engine mounts have factory offset. Actually had 3 sets two locofomoco mounts and my other frame had bcbroncos 4bt Kit. Maybe it’s just me being ocd and wanting everything perfect. If body was on I probably wouldn’t of even noticed.

OP
OP
B

Btempy

Using dana 20 trans I don’t think I’ll have frame clearance issues, assume you are using a 205?

Also I measured rear pinion, and trans... With trans shifted as much as possible am still 1/2 off from aligned;I don’t have dana 20 in yet but will only make differnces that much more. Does it really matter? Not really. I’ve seen some far off factory setups..but if I don’t fix it it’ll probably drive me crazy

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Honestly 1/2" shouldn't really be too much of an issue. The double cardan can eat that up all day as long as it can't fully bind during articulation.

I moved mine over 3/4-1" when I cut and welded it. There is still a good gap between the D20 and frame. Plenty of space.

OP
OP
B

Btempy

Honestly 1/2" shouldn't really be too much of an issue. The double cardan can eat that up all day as long as it can't fully bind during articulation.

I moved mine over 3/4-1" when I cut and welded it. There is still a good gap between the D20 and frame. Plenty of space.

I unbolted trans and slid it on top of mount until it was aligned with rear pinion then double checked that my engine distance was same measured back on each side then marked the crossmember. Unfortunately I ran out of welding gas after the first tack.

But thanks everyone, was hoping there was an issue but unfortunately seems to be the norm. Even thought of switching to an NV4500.