• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

gas line material

bobtail

Loc.
high in the desert
hello in there. I have a question about the fuel line being hard plastic along the frame. is there a reason it's not rubber gas line? how many years until it's too brittle? would all rubber be ok to use?

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
The OEM fuel line is hard plastic as you describe. No kidding.

As long as it stays cool it can last 50 years unlike steel lines. If you have any brittle or sketchy areas replace it.

I used modern nylon fuel line it looked exactly like the stuff I took off! It is flexible and easy to install with the body on. I like it because you can put the EFI ends on it with a tool.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The OEM line is nylon. It's not rubber because nylon is several times more durable and lasts forever. Try breaking a piece or kinking it. It's much more durable than it looks.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Rubber ages poorly. Especially with modern fuel. The normal parts store rubber might be good for 5 years in good conditions. If you get a really nice piece of rubber fuel hose (Shields marine barrier hose or Earl's Vapor Guard) you should be able to get over 10 years out of those. There is an internal barrier to keep the fuel off the rubber, that is the key. That fancy braided race type AN hose is typically subject to rubber rot (inside the braided shiny stuff) like the cheap parts store low cost hose. The old nylon line is really good stuff as long as you don't melt it. About the only way to get better is to run stainless hard line (not the braided stainless race hose). The factory stainless braided hoses are done over nylon, not rubber.

Skytrooper15

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Al
Fuel line

My stock fuel line is original and it came on a 1970.I just replaced the fuel tank and it was still not brittle but I did replace the rubber fuel lines because they were breaking down.You can still buy the original type fuel line for about 15 dollars from our vendors.

ransil

Bronco Guru
My stock fuel line is original and it came on a 1970.I just replaced the fuel tank and it was still not brittle but I did replace the rubber fuel lines because they were breaking down.You can still buy the original type fuel line for about 15 dollars from our vendors.

get it at any local auto parts store, Dorman makes it.

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Great info on the stock type lines. Next one I do will use this.