• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My NORRA Pioneer build

68ford

Bronco Guru
Not sure if you figured out your crankcase plumbing, but knowing how oil saturated the small filters get after long hours at high load, I would suggest running -10 hose or -12 from each valve cover to the air filter base. I have been running mine like that for about 10 yrs and it's awesome. Under heavy load any vapor just goes right down the carb. No oil soaked filters collecting dust which will happen fairly quick. I actually only run 1 -10 hose and I go from my fuel pump block off plate to the air filter base. My valve covers had no holes. I welded 1 oil filter that's it.

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What diameter is your fuel supply line? Very nice workmanship. Howard

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
Not sure if you figured out your crankcase plumbing, but knowing how oil saturated the small filters get after long hours at high load, I would suggest running -10 hose or -12 from each valve cover to the air filter base. I have been running mine like that for about 10 yrs and it's awesome. Under heavy load any vapor just goes right down the carb. No oil soaked filters collecting dust which will happen fairly quick. I actually only run 1 -10 hose and I go from my fuel pump block off plate to the air filter base. My valve covers had no holes. I welded 1 oil filter that's it.

I was going to run both valve covers to a catch can and filter setup on the firewall. The engine builder tig welded two -10an fittings into each valve cover. I did have a concern about soggy filters and dust build up but was just going to take a bunch of filters to swap out during fuel stops. Thx for the info.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
In looking at your engine the oil pressure extension is it made of steel? If not you should change it out for a steel piece. breaking it off in the middle of nowhere wouldn't make your day.

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
In looking at your engine the oil pressure extension is it made of steel? If not you should change it out for a steel piece. breaking it off in the middle of nowhere wouldn't make your day.

be990af2a623159d996d3e2ec148bd23.jpg

That it is

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Looks like a steel one to me, but good advice.

68ford

Bronco Guru
Also probably wat to run an oil cooler. I run an adaptor with about 10 foot of hose to 2 oil filters on the side of the frame where they get a fair amount of air flow. Holds 8 qts instead of 6. Running any length of time over 3000 rpm it will get to 240 degree oil temp. That's just going down the freeway. Coolant t temp will be at 185 when oil gets high. It seems to be totally related to rpm not load. If I jump.on the fwy and drive at 3500 it will get to 240 within 10miles.

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
Also probably wat to run an oil cooler. I run an adaptor with about 10 foot of hose to 2 oil filters on the side of the frame where they get a fair amount of air flow. Holds 8 qts instead of 6. Running any length of time over 3000 rpm it will get to 240 degree oil temp. That's just going down the freeway. Coolant t temp will be at 185 when oil gets high. It seems to be totally related to rpm not load. If I jump.on the fwy and drive at 3500 it will get to 240 within 10miles.

Yup running an adapter to a cooler but putting it up front below the radiator, I might run two in-line we will see once I get it moving. That stuff should be here tomorrow or Saturday.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like a great build going on and I'm excited to have more broncos in the class. Interesting hearing some of the questions come up and ideas. And also looking back over the years at problems we and our competitors have had, and how different the problems can be from one truck to the next. I built the Kaysinger Racing/Baja Broncos 69 we race in 2012 and stuck mostly to the technology of 1974 and before. Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
Finally seeing the end of the tunnel on the drivetrain and suspension. Thanks to a few of the Colorado Classic Broncos members swinging by we had a productive weekend knocking out a bunch of little stuff that added up to getting the drivetrain dropped in for one of the last times and starting on the body panels to prep them for primer.

Swapped the stock motor mounts for HD mounts. Installed the custom torque converter, flex plate and engine/trans plate. Leveled things out and installed both driveshafts. Also threw the headers on as I will be trying my hand at building an exhaust system to save some $$$ - those pieces should be here soon. Hopefully will get a little further along but besides the exhaust and some wheels/tires its ready to go off to the cage builder at the end of the month. Long ways to go, lots of mountains to climb but getting there...

IMG_6156.jpg

I have a game plan and the parts I need to build my tie rod and drag link. Still working on a design for the track bar itself but have a plan in place for both ends. I do plan on double shearing both ends of the drag link... then on to wiring....

I need to shoot some more photos here soon, i know frame photos are getting old :)

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...but it's a purdy frame. Nice progress. The devil is definitely in the details if it's anything like my projects. That said, I can't wait to see what you do with your track bar mounts for double shear at the axle end.

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
...but it's a purdy frame. Nice progress. The devil is definitely in the details if it's anything like my projects. That said, I can't wait to see what you do with your track bar mounts for double shear at the axle end.

Me either, I am not sure I will get away with a double shear on the axle end of the track bar, I have a plan to make it much much stronger but not much room left in front of the track bar for misalignment spacer plus more metal plus a fasenter. I don’t want to get too fancy.

baja-chris

Great looking build and stoked to see you building to the Pioneer Era. Can't wait to see it in Ensenada. This type of build is what NORRA is all about!

Chris Wilson
NORRA

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Found out recently that too big was too much. A fi tech injected 351 did not like long tube headers into 2.5 head pipes into a single 3 inch tail pipe. Wound up going 2 inch into 2.5. Much better

baja-chris

For NORRA, highly recommend an external oil cooler. Lots of fast graded roads, lakebeds, beaches with sustained high speeds. When we drove Todd and Andrew's original Stroppe racer in 2010 we hit 105mph several times which was over 5k rpm for fairly long periods of time. Hot rod engine ran great but I'm sure we had hot oil. One of my greatest memories ever in off road racing was hearing the Stroppe 289 at full song reflecting off the door panels of the Swift Edsel as we pulled beside them at 90+, not more than 5 ft away, then motored away with more power. Was more satisfying than winning the Baja 1000.