• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Parking brake mystery

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... OK I did not read many of the front post.
So If what I say is wrong & you know it then Just disregard .
.. But I had a Part Store back in 1967 until 1995 ... SO iT Sounds to me like Your cables have stretched.
... THEREFORE.. I had a PART I sold that you put over the line ...wire.. cable.. whatever you want to call it. But it was small & had a J HOOK & A gusset .. .. .. YOU Tighten the J-Hook & Took slack out of the Brake cable .. Mine were produced by RayBestos ..
& I'd think WAGNER or EIS would also had them ...
...... I hope that understandable .

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
Unless you are trying to keep it original, you can always make your own. I fabricated mine from some hardware store parts for a few bucks and with that turnbuckle I have tons of adjustment. The OEM one is pretty poorly designed.

I attached mine to a handbrake out of a late 80s Cavalier and it works fine and no roll bar clearance issues. But that was because I wanted an emergency brake in addition to it being just a parking brake in case of brake failure I can hand brake the rear in a controlled way instead of mashing the foot parking brake and locking up the rear.

Attachments

• ebrake.jpg
    ebrake.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 88

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
1zg4zer.png

28jzbkp.png

Couple more options. Modify/move your rear bracket backwards.
Or, in the picture, it looks like you could ADD some threads to the adjusting rod and still have free motion of movement. Or a little of both.

If your brackets are in the correct location, you have the wrong cables.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
ABN373 Are you running the stock Park Brake & your HOMEMADE E-BRAKE both.
I like that turn buckle idea.
... Mine doesn't work on my Bronco But most E-Brakes don't work on farm vehicles.
a bunch of Guys have added JEEP hand brake handles . I've always planed to do that . But it needs to be where my center Console is ... No ROOM.

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
ABN373 Are you running the stock Park Brake & your HOMEMADE E-BRAKE both.
I like that turn buckle idea.
... Mine doesn't work on my Bronco But most E-Brakes don't work on farm vehicles.
a bunch of Guys have added JEEP hand brake handles . I've always planed to do that . But it needs to be where my center Console is ... No ROOM.

Just my homemade e-brake. I have a C4 so it has a parking pin too of course. The handbrake was from a Chevy Cavalier. around 1988ish. I picked it off the shelf of a junk yard that had a pile of different handbrakes. I forget what I paid, but was only a few dollars and was already pulled. I have a center console also. I have the console bolted down on top of 1.25" square tubes and so it gives room for my cables to go under and out the floor bottom. It works for me and I like the very long handle and with the curve it clears the tunnel hump. Some may not like the look of no shrouds, but my Bronco is kind of "industrial" inside. It wouldn't be hard to integrate all that stuff into a custom console. It has a pretty small footprint for the bracket. I would say 3"W by 4"L at a guess.

Attachments

• 20181006_172131.jpg
    20181006_172131.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it just my imagination, running away with me... Or is that adjuster threaded out almost all the way to falling out?
I haven't put eyes on one in awhile myself, but I don't remember ever having one with that many threads showing.

This may, or may not have anything to do with the parking brake aspect, but I'd say those are either the wrong adjusters, the wrong shoes, or something else is mismatched.
Unless too, you bought this Bronco new, there's no telling what all has been changed during a brake service. Seen all sorts of mismatched components on drum brakes over the years, so it wouldn't be the first time.

Anyway, I might be off base. But it sure looks like that adjuster is about to it's limit.

Paul

tirewater

Contributor
Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
The adjuster looks like it's all the way out. Perhaps from the OP trying to 'adjust' for the parking brake. Although I don't think you'd get the drum back on with the adjuster full out like that unless something was wrong with the shoes or wheel cylinder.

To the OP, you have the wrong brake cables. The problem is that the outer sheath is too short for the size of the cable. You'll need to buy different cables, or find a way to shim the sheath out (split washers perhaps) where it rests against the body stops near the adjuster.

I had the same issue with my new driver side cable, and ultimately ended up with two passenger side cables. I believe I ended up with two Raybestos BC92912 cables (may not apply to you!! this is from my memory, which may be faulty)

Is it just my imagination, running away with me... Or is that adjuster threaded out almost all the way to falling out?
I haven't put eyes on one in awhile myself, but I don't remember ever having one with that many threads showing.

This may, or may not have anything to do with the parking brake aspect, but I'd say those are either the wrong adjusters, the wrong shoes, or something else is mismatched.
Unless too, you bought this Bronco new, there's no telling what all has been changed during a brake service. Seen all sorts of mismatched components on drum brakes over the years, so it wouldn't be the first time.

Anyway, I might be off base. But it sure looks like that adjuster is about to it's limit.

Paul

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
If those are the wrong shoes or worn bad or a wrong adjuster even the correct cables wont work. Looks like the wrong adjusters and or spreader bar because even though the adjuster is screwed all the way out, the end with the spring on it is not touching the pad. U need to find a buddy with a bronco or ford truck with the same diameter drums and compare pieces to see what is really going on

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

Man, nothing slips by you guys...I never thought to look at the adjuster being nearly all the way out, but now I'm beginning to think my e-brake issue was just a result of something else being off.

I put a thick-walled collar/spacer on my adjuster under the driver seat to give me some more room to adjust. I was able to adjust it to the point that I could hear and feel my shoes dragging on the drum. I then climbed in an pushed the brake to the point I thought I was going to bend my dash and was able to go around back (with the tire on) and still spin my wheels (with some obvious resistance).

So now I'm thinking I might not have any braking on the back end at all. I didn't have someone to hold the brake for me, but I want to crank it up on jackstands and see if I can spin the back wheels while pressing the brakes. What's odd is that SOMETHING is providing resistence to the e-brake, otherwise I'd be able to push it to the floor. What I can't understand is how the brakes are pushing against the drum yet not holding it at all.

Just to clarify, I have replaced virtually everything in the rear brakes except the backing plate, so its entirely possible I was given the wrong shoes (or something) down the line. Guess its back to the drawing board...

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

Whelp - upon further inspection, at least now I know why the parking brake is bottoming out and just barely touching the drum. Due to the amount of adjustment I have to make to get the parking brake engaged, by the time the pedal is pushed the parking brake lever is hitting the backing plate bolts so it can't go any further:
2ebe4y1.png

I measured my drum diameter and its currently 10-1/8, and the drums clearly state 10.09 as max diameter (it seems the drums are one thing I didn't replace). So it seems my worn drums are at the very least not helping the situation. I'll order new drums and parking brake spreaders (just to compare) and see if that gets me taken care of. If not, I suppose I'll just start reordering all my components to see if anything is different.

I'll report my findings, but thanks to you guys for your input. I always enjoy that I can bounce ideas off folks that have a lot more experience in this department than myself...

VanWelder

If you take the overall cable length and subtract the sheath length you get the working length. I did that math using the cables for 68 on JBG website. Came up with just under an inch difference. I have the same problem with my 68..... the adjuster underneath is crooked and can’t lock the wheels. Any suggestions?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad you brought this back up Van. So where's our update EBG!?;D

Re-reading this brought something else up. Aside from the oversized drum issue, which is a big deal, it also sounds like you're not adjusting the shoes up tight enough for their initial settings. As someone mentioned too I think.

In a perfect world (with perfectly round matched parts) you should hear a decent scuffing during the entire rotation of the wheel. And if you're adjusting the brakes with just the drums on and no wheel, it should be almost too hard to rotate by hand. Should turn somewhat easily by hand with the tire and wheel installed, but not do much more than a 1/2 rotation once you've let go of the spinning wheel.
If a little bit loose, you might get one full rotation, but for initial settings it's not unheard of to get just that half a rotation.

IN most cases you will not get a full contact patch with shoes and drums. So you will hear scuffing during part of the rotation, then none during some rotation. If the shoes are not too far out you can adjust it up to the point you hear scuffing through it's entire rotation, but very light at some points and somewhat heavy at others.
I'm not sure how many shops are left that will true up drums and shoes to match anymore, but they used to be fairly common around here at least and it was common practice to shave the shoes to match the drums before you did your brake job.

Other reasons that your adjusters can be so far extended would be:
1. If they are not contacting the proper spot on the shoe frames.
2. If they are not the correct adjusters (they look ok, but it would not hurt to verify).
3. The wrong shoes (right diameter, but wrong points of contact).
4. Excess wear of course, but not an issue with new shoes.

You get the point.
Definitely find a picture of your particular year drum setup if you can. The aftermarket shop manuals do show a good diagram, but they are not year specific and show only one. But luckily for us, I believe that most year Bronco's rear brakes are of the same basic layout/design, even if not the same size. An exception might be '66 brakes, but after that the pictures can at least let you know if you're on the right path.

Paul

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

Thanks for such a detailed write up, Paul. Unfortunately, I gave up on my issue and resolved myself that I won't have a parking brake unless I switch to rear disk brakes.

I ended up replacing both the drums and the shoes (even though they weren't really worn, just to ensure I got a matched set). The drums are adjusted well, and the e-brake bracket is adjusted just shy of the shoes making contact.

At this point, its not about the adjuster bottoming out, as I get good contact almost immediately with the pedal. But rather that my e-brakes only work somewhat and definitely not enough to lock up the rears (which is absolutely should). I have literally applied so much pressure to my e-brake pedal that I have bent my dash some on the drivers side. There is definite drag, but not enough to stop/lock the tires. I have gotten it going down the road and pressed the pedal as hard as it will go (see above bent dash comment) and it stops, but very slowly. Am I wrong in assuming the rears should grab more than that? And it definitely will not hold itself on a hill using the e-brake...

I really hate giving up, as I don't like to be defeated by something so simple, but at this point everything (and I mean everything) from the pedal back is brand new, and nothing seems to have made my e-brake any more effective.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We gave up on my friend's '77 parking brake too at one point. Biggest brakes ever offered on an EB and they would not stop it from rolling on his driveway, which was almost flat!
Mine on the other hand, will keep it from rolling not only on my much steeper driveway, but even on hills in San Francisco, which I have tested several times.
Even with that I would still put rocks behind the tires when parked on a steep trail!

But no, even the best of these are not likely to ever lock up a tire on a rolling vehicle. That's why I have taken to calling them "Parking" brakes rather than the old common use of the term "Emergency" brakes.
Sure, they may be a last resort in an emergency, but they aren't going to stop you very quickly so be ready for the big bang if you can't steer clear of an obstacle while slowly slowing down.
And just like the regular brakes, if you're having trouble with overheated friction material like I did once heading down into Death Valley, pushing on the traditional parking/emergency brake like we have is not going to do anything.
The type that is a drum-within-a-disc may work better, but they're so small they may not work for long before overheating themselves.

So no, they should not stop a rolling vehicle quickly. But yes, by all that's normal you should be able to hold a sitting vehicle still even on a decently steep grade.
Some exceptions to these general rules would be much lighter sports cars, perhaps an old USA big bomber boat of a car, with equally big bomber boat brakes. Basically cars with big brakes for their weight bias.
Such as the '65-'69 Corvair, which used mid-size Chevy FRONT brakes on the rear (because that's where most of the weight was) but kept them as the parking brake.
If the brakes were good on one of those, you could lock those up with the hand lever like you see people do with brake skids.
Just not likely to ever see it happen on an EB without some custom brake work I don't think.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and I forgot to add perhaps the most obvious reason for Bronco rear brakes not holding as well as they should. Larger tires!
Putting bigger leverage against an already possibly undersized brake for the weight of the vehicle just makes an already weak setup even weaker.

Paul

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

All good points, Paul. I didn't think of the larger tires taking away some of the drums leverage.

My point in pursuing this was to take some of the strain off my C4 transmission parking dog (and the subsequent CLUNK when taking it out). I occassionally launch a boat with my EB and I don't like the only thing being between my EB and a bath in the lake is a tiny piece of metal in the tranny.

So yes, the parking brake 'works' but I don't trust it and now keep a sizeable chock (with a tether) on it in my EB. Can't go wrong with some old school 'technology'...

Thanks again for all the insight Paul!

72Sport

Bronco Guru
I'd like to see if anyone has any input on a parking brake issue that I can't seem to resolve.

Backstory - I have all new brake hardware/parts including new parking brake cables (all three), yet I seem to be unable to adjust my parking brake enough to hold my wheels. I have bottomed out the adjustment on the pivot, which gives me some braking, but the pedal seems to bottom out before parking brake will hold. I've made sure to adjust the self-adjusters (to just touching drum) before adjusting the parking brake, but issue remains.

I disconnected the parking brake adjuster (under the drivers seat - see pic) to see if I could find issue, and it appears that my parking lever has too much play in it before the linkage even touches the shoe. When measuring the passenger/driver cables, I found that the cables were adjusted 2in out (where adjustment rod is bottomed out) just to get enough movement to barely hold wheels.

Here's my question - is there no other way to adjust the parking brake besides the adjustment rod? See the below pic of my parking lever. You can see the sizeable gap between it and the shoe, which seems to be taking up all my adjustment before it even touches.

V5ZPv1s

25Lbaj1

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives
Reload this Page Parking Brake Linkage

The above thread miight be of some help.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interesting thing 72Sport. No link or pathway visible here, but on my phone the "classicbroncos..." part shows up as an active hyperlink.

Can you try again perhaps?

Paul

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Interesting thing 72Sport. No link or pathway visible here, but on my phone the "classicbroncos..." part shows up as an active hyperlink.

Can you try again perhaps?

Paul
Didn't have much luck. Here is what I used as an advanced search for this old thread.

Advanced search.
Brake

User name
72Sport

Misc Forums
Archives
Bronco tech articles

Post was started by ilovemaui . Using the above search criteria it shows up as the first post.