• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Frame off 76' Restomod

JacksonEOD

Hello everyone. It's been about 5 years since I did anything of significance to my EB. You can check out my signature for my OG build thread. I've decided to get back to work on the frame off restomod. Got tired of all these parts filling up the garage. So, I got the 3.5" Duff 4-link Monster suspension last week to get started on a rolling chassis.
The mess of parts that came in haha.
IMG_2295.jpg

Here's the frame as I got it way back when:
2011-08-05_16-27-57_445.jpg

Ground off all the stuff no longer necessary on the frame...That was not fun work! Then sanded it all down smooth and threw on some primer for now...
IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

The leftovers
IMG_2345.jpg

Put these bad boys on and test fit a shock. It looked like the middle shock mount was too close to the coil bucket. Turns out it is. The rearmost shock is in and angles toward the bucket. There's no way to fit the other shock in the middle mount without it hitting the bucket. I contacted Duff today and am waiting to hear back on why this isn't looking like it should...
IMG_2310.jpg

Frame with the long travel shock hoops
IMG_2331.jpg

Here's where the problem is. Shocks won't fit in the middle mount on either side...
IMG_2349.jpg
IMG_2347.jpg

That's it for the first week. I'm waiting on answers for the shock hoops, so I guess I'll move to measuring and installing the new radius arms and mounts. Hopefully I can continue progressing at an acceptable rate until this bad boy is driveable, but I'm realistically looking at getting done by the end of next summer if all goes well. That's the goal anyway... FYI, I have no automotive, mechanical, electrical, or any other experience of any kind related to this field, so let me know if I'm doing something stupid! :D I'm basically working from this forum and youtube...Here we go again!

Casey835

bfc52c3ae5e86da93fc7cac67f31bf3b.jpg

Those shocks aren't gonna to hang straight down. When you get the long arms on there you will see if it will all line up better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JacksonEOD

JacksonEOD

bfc52c3ae5e86da93fc7cac67f31bf3b.jpg

Those shocks aren't gonna to hang straight down. When you get the long arms on there you will see if it will all line up better.

I emailed Duff and asked them. They said exactly the same thing. Guess that's what I get for skipping ahead! So I guess I'll get the arms on. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Nice.. Look forward to your progress. build it just like ya want it

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hope you are going to weld those hoops? Looks like a nice project. Good luck

OP
OP
JacksonEOD

JacksonEOD

Hope you are going to weld those hoops? Looks like a nice project. Good luck

That's the plan. Bolting it on now to make sure it all fits. I've never welded anything though so I'll have to find someone to do that stuff when the time comes. I've done some practice welding and have a couple books but I don't really want to put the wife and future kid in a vehicle that I welded together without adult supervision