• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The what did I get myself into 1971 Restomod - BUILD THREAD

Audifan

Contributor
Hey gang, excited to be here and join this awesome community.

I’m a big car guy and an internet geek so getting to share my build process with all of you will be a hoot. Not sure how fast it will progress, but I can guarantee it won’t be fast enough :)

So, a little back story…

It all started with a trip to Home Depot with my Father in law as we were building my RV garage. An old army green bronco pulled up next to us at the light and I said…”I’ve always wanted one of those things”. That was it. End of conversation.

Fast forward a few months and I get a text message out of the blue of a picture of his truck with a trailer full of Bronco parts. And a message… “Congrats, we’re building father and son broncos!”

Now, I never said I wanted to build one...nor did I say I wanted one now, or that I had time in my life to do this. But apparently my father in law thought it was a great time for us to “bond” even further...and of course my wife was on board and said “he needs this, you have to do it”. So, I was stuck.

So, I started researching what it takes to build a bronco from scratch, found this forum...and practically had a heart attack :) I started reading build threads that span THOUSANDS of man hours and MULTIPLE years...It freaked me out.

I’ve got 2 young kids who I do everything with and a company that has hit momentum and is growing like crazy… Free time is something I don’t have.

However, according to the wife, I couldn’t back out...I was committed.

YIKES!

With all that said, I have always wanted to have a bad-ass Bronco, so I convinced my father in law to let me short cut the process by buying one that was part of the way done, and letting him keep all his parts make sure he has enough to get his up and running.

After that decision I quickly learned how far a dollar does NOT go when it comes to buying a Bronco...but I was on the hook, facing the wife’s displeasure (and the bronco bug had bitten me pretty hard by that point) so out came the checkbook.

And all of that is what led me to take a trip from Nevada down to Georgia to pick up a 1971 partially restored Bronco which will be the starting point for my high end restomod build.

Apologies in advance to the purists...because this thing will not be “original”. The goal is to combine lots of modern and luxury modifications with the existing rugged character of the bronco.

I’ll post more info on my starting point and the projected build process soon.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 905
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 786
  • image8.jpeg
    image8.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 767
Last edited:

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
Funny story, and great looking bronco. Look forward to what you do to it, when you have time. I hope you will share photos and build of your father in laws also. Good luck to both

OP
OP
A

Audifan

Contributor
Funny story, and great looking bronco. Look forward to what you do to it, when you have time. I hope you will share photos and build of your father in laws also. Good luck to both

Thank you. Pictures make the paint/body look much nicer than it is. It has a 10 foot or 'drivers' paint, but up close you can see it needs a fair amount of work.

Will definitely be posting pics of the inlaws bronco as well

Bferrari

Looks like you have a good place to start from. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

OP
OP
A

Audifan

Contributor
One of the first things I need to tackle on this thing is to get the Engine tuned so it will pass emissions here in Nevada.

It's been tuned for Georgia elevation and it's running way to rich for up here in Reno, so it failed the smog test.

So looking for a good shop here locally to take it to and in getting my ducks in a row, I had to go through everything thats under the hood and list it out so the shop will know what they are looking at.

Here's the List so far:

Ford Cobra Roller Motor bored .30 over with 347 stroked crank and pistons w/ oversized bearings
3,000 miles since rebuild
Fomoco double roller timing chain
Fomoco E303 roller camshaft
Fomoco roller lifters
351 Windsor heads and valves
Crane cam roller rockers
Milidon Windage tray
Milidon high volume high-pressure oil pump
Milidon oil pump rod
Milidon oil pan pick up
Milidon oil pan, dip stick and tube
Fomoco Mustang EFI distributer
Fomoco Mustang intake upper and lower
Cobra 1-inch plenum spacer
Edelbrock 70mm throttle body
Explorer fuel rail, alternator, harmonic balancer, pulley brackets, belt tensioner & water pump
Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator
24lb fuel injectors
Wild Horse motor mounts
Lokar accelerator cable
Be Cool aluminum radiator
Aluminum intake tube and air filter
Custom built full-length headers

Centech wiring harness
RJM EFI harness
Mustang Auto GT ECU
MSD 6AL
MSD Blaster
EFI Distributor

C6 automatic transmission
NP205 transfer case, single stick shifter
C6 to NP205 adapter
Lokar C6 shifter
Lokar kick down cable
Transmission cooler with thermostat and gauge
C6 50 oz custom balanced 302 flex-plate

Single rear 20 gallon fuel tank
43lb per hour 40+ PSI fuel pump
12 PSI pusher fuel pump
Wild Horses fuel filter/accumulator

There's more, but I'm still sorting through paperwork and figuring it all out.

For those of you who want to hear it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn92fp8mG5E

Attachments

• engine1.jpg
    engine1.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 509
  • engine3.jpg
    engine3.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 437
  • engine4.jpg
    engine4.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 427
  • engine2.jpg
    engine2.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, great looking setup you got there. A little more complete than the other one I presume?
Looks like at least some money was thrown at it, with some good parts visually. If they were properly done and installed, you're half the way there. Taking new cool stuff off, because it was done wrong is definitely not on anyone's priority list. But it happens a lot these days!

You and your pops-in-law definitely need to come over to our side of the mountains next April (the 6th) to our annual Bronco Roundup at Wild Horses in Lodi. You could even get a caravan I bet, as several people come from your neck of the woods. Several more from your direction, in the Sierraville and Nevada City neighborhood you could meet up with along the way. Fun times for sure!
And nothing like traveling in a pack of gear heads with Bronco experience if something goes wrong.

Good luck (and have fun) with the business and family especially. But good luck and have fun with the Bronco too.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oops, just saw your list. One thing stands out for your smogging dilemma, and that's the cam.
Those E303 cams are notorious for running like crap in a Ford EFI engine. Might need a full tune on your computer. I almost hate to suggest changing the cam, because that's all new stuff. But it's actually the best choice here.

However, there are guys running them and they do build power. They're just more appropriate for a Mustang, or lighter car or bigger motor than they are a 347 in a Bronco.
But hey, at least the 347 IS a bigger motor! Even if just slightly.

At least that's a little more info for your list. Whether you wanted it or not!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A couple more things about how it runs...

Good location for the air filter, but just in case it ever becomes an issue, know that fan-wash from the cooling fan can and will effect the performance of the MAF sensor that it's attached to. Especially when the filter is mounted directly to the MAF rather than with some tubing to isolate it. All turbulence that gets to the filter can potentially be "seen" by the meter.

Second, and even more important, your PCV system is not connected properly.
You need to ditch the filtered breather on the passenger side valve cover and somehow connect your crankcase to the capped hose fitting on top of your Throttle Body.
See that 3/8" curved tube up there? That's for the return air for the crankcase that's sucked out by the PCV valve. You've got a filter, so that's good. But it can't be open to atmosphere and must be plumbed so that the air going into the engine is metered and measured by the MAF sensor.
The stock valve coves fix that by having the oil filler neck with a fitting so that all you need to do is connect a hose between the valve cover and the TB unit (ahead of the throttle though, so it does not see full vacuum).

Your nice aftermarket valve covers don't have the EFI-specific fittings.

Pics are very helpful! Thanks for becoming a contributor and posting them up.
You'll love having the Explorer front accessory drive. The best Ford produced.

Paul

OP
OP
A

Audifan

Contributor
Yep, great looking setup you got there. A little more complete than the other one I presume?
Looks like at least some money was thrown at it, with some good parts visually. If they were properly done and installed, you're half the way there. Taking new cool stuff off, because it was done wrong is definitely not on anyone's priority list. But it happens a lot these days!

You and your pops-in-law definitely need to come over to our side of the mountains next April (the 6th) to our annual Bronco Roundup at Wild Horses in Lodi. You could even get a caravan I bet, as several people come from your neck of the woods. Several more from your direction, in the Sierraville and Nevada City neighborhood you could meet up with along the way. Fun times for sure!
And nothing like traveling in a pack of gear heads with Bronco experience if something goes wrong.

Good luck (and have fun) with the business and family especially. But good luck and have fun with the Bronco too.

Paul

Yep we hope the same thing. It looks good, but that doesn't tell the whole tale for sure.

I've got your meet up in Lodi on the Calendar already as it's the closest and soonest bronco event I could find. Really looking forward to it.

Oops, just saw your list. One thing stands out for your smogging dilemma, and that's the cam.
Those E303 cams are notorious for running like crap in a Ford EFI engine. Might need a full tune on your computer. I almost hate to suggest changing the cam, because that's all new stuff. But it's actually the best choice here.

However, there are guys running them and they do build power. They're just more appropriate for a Mustang, or lighter car or bigger motor than they are a 347 in a Bronco.
But hey, at least the 347 IS a bigger motor! Even if just slightly.

At least that's a little more info for your list. Whether you wanted it or not!

Paul

The smog guy mentioned the oversize cam as well as being a potential cause. I had made a note to ask about it when I found a shop I could work with.

Ideally one with a dyno so they can really dial it in.

A couple more things about how it runs...

Good location for the air filter, but just in case it ever becomes an issue, know that fan-wash from the cooling fan can and will effect the performance of the MAF sensor that it's attached to. Especially when the filter is mounted directly to the MAF rather than with some tubing to isolate it. All turbulence that gets to the filter can potentially be "seen" by the meter.

Second, and even more important, your PCV system is not connected properly.

You need to ditch the filtered breather on the passenger side valve cover and somehow connect your crankcase to the capped hose fitting on top of your Throttle Body.

See that 3/8" curved tube up there? That's for the return air for the crankcase that's sucked out by the PCV valve. You've got a filter, so that's good. But it can't be open to atmosphere and must be plumbed so that the air going into the engine is metered and measured by the MAF sensor.
The stock valve coves fix that by having the oil filler neck with a fitting so that all you need to do is connect a hose between the valve cover and the TB unit (ahead of the throttle though, so it does not see full vacuum).

Your nice aftermarket valve covers don't have the EFI-specific fittings.

Pics are very helpful! Thanks for becoming a contributor and posting them up.
You'll love having the Explorer front accessory drive. The best Ford produced.

Paul

This is great info Paul. Thank you. Amazing what you were able to spot from a few pics.

I've printed it out and will look into it tomorrow when my father and law is here as he knows way more about engines than me.

Also good info to take into the mechanic. So thank you again.

One day posting on this board and I'm blown away by the specific help I've already received. What a great group.

OP
OP
A

Audifan

Contributor
Here's what we've got going underneath...

Undercarriage and frame has been sand blasted and protective coated.
New body mounts and hardware
3.5 inch Wild Horses Suspension Lift
2" body lift
Rancho 9000 shocks (2 front, 1 rear)
Wild Horse Drop pitman arm
Adjustable track bar
High Output power steering pump
Wild Horses steering stabilizer kit
Flaming River steering shaft with 2 universal joints
front disc brakes with ceramic pads
new extreme brake booster
new master cylinder
new brake vacuum system and hoses
Dana 44 front axle, open 4:10 gears
Currie 9” Heavy Duty rear axle
Detroit locker 4:10 gears
31 Spline axles
15x10 Cager wheels
35x13.5x15 Toyo Open Country tires

Attachments

• susp1.jpg
    susp1.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 312
  • susp2.jpg
    susp2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 344
  • susp3.jpg
    susp3.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 329
  • susp4.jpg
    susp4.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 308
  • susp5.jpg
    susp5.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 350

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Nice project! That thing looks like it is ready to enjoy right now. Good luck with both trucks and looking forward to the build. Ken

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
The what did I get myself into 1969 Restomod - BUILD THREAD

Other then a few things not being my Taste, that looks pretty well ready to run. A complete bronco. Over all I would be a proud owner of it.
What’s on the list other then smog?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Audifan

Contributor
Yeah, she is ready to run and enjoy right now and we are. My Kids love the bronco and any clear and somewhat warm day we have I'm picking them up from school in it or taking them for a drive.

Aside from smog and getting the engine dialed in here's what on the short mod list:

1. Tracing wires for some of switches under dash that I have no idea what they do.
2. Fixing wiper sprayers
3. New tilt steering column and move auto shifter back onto column
4. Remove carpet and add insulation over the rhino liner so carpet can go over it.
5. Upgrade all lights to LED
6. Add Interior dome lights to roll bar
7. Rear 3point seat belts and better mounting for booster seats
8. Bferrari's door hold open mod
9. Bferrari's passenger seat flip up mod
10. New dash, gauges, switches, double din receiver
11. Vintage air conditioning (If i have room in engine bay)
12. Flush mount windshield
13. Possibly a new fiberglass hood.
14. Protofab front and rear bumpers
15. Amp side steps
16. body work and paint

There's more, but thats the bigger stuff, as well as anything that pops up along the way.

OP
OP
A

Audifan

Contributor
if that truck needs building then mine belongs in the junk yard!

:eek:

LOL. Well in this case, need = want. And it's more of a customization at this point I guess, but to do some of the things I want, it'll have to come apart a time or two.

tommyg

Contributor
Crazy to think that Nevada has stricter emission rules than California! I don't need to ever smog my '74. Looks like a great "starting point" lol. I've got a place in Tahoe and have cruised my truck up there a number times, though never quite made it as far as Reno. I've got the amp power steps, and it's probably the best mod I've made, highly recommended.

OP
OP
A

Audifan

Contributor
if that truck needs building then mine belongs in the junk yard!

:eek:

Crazy to think that Nevada has stricter emission rules than California! I don't need to ever smog my '74. Looks like a great "starting point" lol. I've got a place in Tahoe and have cruised my truck up there a number times, though never quite made it as far as Reno. I've got the amp power steps, and it's probably the best mod I've made, highly recommended.

Yep, blew my mind on the smog. 1 friggen year to new...LAME.

Do your amp steps tuck up under the rocker panel or stick out a bit when retracted?

I've seen it both ways on bronco's and have been trying to figure out if there are two different styles or if it was just different mounting placements.

I want my steps to disappear when retracted.

I've put amp steps on all my trucks and LOVE them, can't wait to get them on the Bronco.

Bferrari

Yep, blew my mind on the smog. 1 friggen year to new...LAME.

Do your amp steps tuck up under the rocker panel or stick out a bit when retracted?

I've seen it both ways on bronco's and have been trying to figure out if there are two different styles or if it was just different mounting placements.

I want my steps to disappear when retracted.

I've put amp steps on all my trucks and LOVE them, can't wait to get them on the Bronco.

I did the Amp steps and they totally disappear when retracted.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Do your amp steps tuck up under the rocker panel or stick out a bit when retracted?

Not surprising to see different results, since up until just recently every install was pretty much a custom. Done either by the owner, a local shop, or some kit put together by some third party.

Who's kit will you be using? I've seen BCB and Northeast Classic. Don't know if they're the same, or using different brackets? Looks pretty slick though.
Isn't ICON doing a set as well?

Can't wait to see them on your rig.

Paul