• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

6R80 (or new 10 speed) behind small block ford

OX1

Bronco Guru
Anyone done it? (not 10 speed obviously)

Someday, I'm probably not going to want to row this T-18 anymore.
Really don't need anything over the mild TB injected 302 I have
(or get a cheap stock W at some point and drop TB inj on it).

Looks like about 700$ (with shipping) for used F150 6R80

http://buyusedengine.com/productpag...012&partname=Automatic Transmission&size=5.0L

$500 for block adapter

https://site.matthillmotorsports.co...ansmission-to-small-block-ford-engine-adapter

$1250 for trans controller

https://www.usshift.com/usq6.shtml

What about D20, anyone make the 4WD 6R80 adapter to D20 or
even a 205?

Figure with a 4.17 first, this saves on gear changes you would
probably want over the stock 3.5, vs other 3/4 speeds that
have a 2.X first gear. Might have to lock out the .69, 6th gear
on all but flat highway (assuming stock 3.5 gear and 33/35 tire),
but not really an issue for me with 5 other gears.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Was talking with Karl (US shift) at SEMA last year. he just got the 10-speed driving end of last year. Still has work to do. It is coming soon.

Can't help with the transfer case. Check with AA

cali_zuk

There is a adapter for the 6r80 & 10r80 for that matter to the dana 20. The transmissions are very similar in size. Us shift has a few videos on youtube showing the process to get the 10r80 installed behind a sbf. Advanced adapters has a tech article on the adapters for them.

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was about to pull the trigger and go with a 6r80. You can get all the adapters you need to do the conversion. Trans to SBF (need a torque converter externder also), trans to D20, BC broncos has a crossmember, shift controller (several models available). Need driveshaft lengths modified a little. Also need larger cooling lines than C4.

What I've determined I don't like is the adapter to mate trans to SBF. You have to cut the bellhousing around the starter area to be able to utilize the stock Bronco starter. Since its a one piece transmission housing, new or used trans will not have a warrantee.

i'm going to go with a 4r70w until I can afford a coyote and not need to trans to block adapter. Sure would have liked the 4.17 low first gear in the 6R80 though.

wsager

I was about to pull the trigger and go with a 6r80. You can get all the adapters you need to do the conversion. Trans to SBF (need a torque converter externder also), trans to D20, BC broncos has a crossmember, shift controller (several models available). Need driveshaft lengths modified a little. Also need larger cooling lines than C4.

What I've determined I don't like is the adapter to mate trans to SBF. You have to cut the bellhousing around the starter area to be able to utilize the stock Bronco starter. Since its a one piece transmission housing, new or used trans will not have a warrantee.

i'm going to go with a 4r70w until I can afford a coyote and not need to trans to block adapter. Sure would have liked the 4.17 low first gear in the 6R80 though.

Just heard about the recall today. You may have made the right choice, only affects 2011-'12. I just read: "The defect has been traced to an output speed sensor on the vehicle's transmission lead frame."

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
All your gaining is that 4-1 first which is not much of a gain in a automatic, Sticking with 3.5 axle gearing and 33/35 in tires would make both OD gears pretty much unuseable. As you are pretty much already in OD in 4th at 1-1

Probably better off with a 4r70w. cheaper contoller, no block adapter needed.
As it is now your looking at $2400 without t case adapter and tranny rebuild for that 6r parts alone another $1K. Then labor costs? If you have the money to throw at it and its what you want I guess its fine but still seems a waste not to actually use the gears it has.

OP
OP
O

OX1

Bronco Guru
All your gaining is that 4-1 first which is not much of a gain in a automatic, Sticking with 3.5 axle gearing and 33/35 in tires would make both OD gears pretty much unuseable. As you are pretty much already in OD in 4th at 1-1

Probably better off with a 4r70w. cheaper contoller, no block adapter needed.
As it is now your looking at $2400 without t case adapter and tranny rebuild for that 6r parts alone another $1K. Then labor costs? If you have the money to throw at it and its what you want I guess its fine but still seems a waste not to actually use the gears it has.

I hear ya, definitely be some bucks, but I'm still in real cheap
overall, even compared to the guy that recently spent $30K
to buy a "lower end" build ;D Being into 78/79's and early fox
bodies for 30 years, has it's advantages....

A 46% deeper first gear (over a 4r) is not gaining much? You are a
tough guy to please, what would be "gaining much"? Unless it just
won't work, I'd probably go with the 10 speed and just lock out 9/10.

Not interested in a 4 speed auto with that big a spread between 3rd
and 4th (and if I did, I have a built AOD sitting around ready to go).
At least the 4/5 on a 6R would have more of a fighting chance
over the 3/4 on the 4 speeds, being 14% and 24% deeper, respectively.
If/when, I'd rather spend the money for something I could grow into,
if need be. And wasn't planning on a 6R rebuild, just buying used.

Also have to keep in mind I'm on perfectly flat terrain, sea level, don't
take it out when it's really hot, and most back roads near me are 50-60.
If there was ever a situation that might be able to use "too much
overdrive", that would probably be it.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
These 5,6,8, 10 speed trans have relatively small drums in order to achieve that many gears, as opposed to the older 3 and 4 speed trans. They rely on the PCM to control line pressure and engine torque during shifts. I wonder what the long term trans life will be without the trans controller governing the engine too?

Mark

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I hear ya, definitely be some bucks, but I'm still in real cheap
overall, even compared to the guy that recently spent $30K
to buy a "lower end" build ;D Being into 78/79's and early fox
bodies for 30 years, has it's advantages....

A 46% deeper first gear (over a 4r) is not gaining much? You are a
tough guy to please, what would be "gaining much"? Unless it just
won't work, I'd probably go with the 10 speed and just lock out 9/10.

Not interested in a 4 speed auto with that big a spread between 3rd
and 4th (and if I did, I have a built AOD sitting around ready to go).
At least the 4/5 on a 6R would have more of a fighting chance
over the 3/4 on the 4 speeds, being 14% and 24% deeper, respectively.
If/when, I'd rather spend the money for something I could grow into,
if need be. And wasn't planning on a 6R rebuild, just buying used.

Also have to keep in mind I'm on perfectly flat terrain, sea level, don't
take it out when it's really hot, and most back roads near me are 50-60.
If there was ever a situation that might be able to use "too much
overdrive", that would probably be it.

Well if you consider how automatics work (torque converter factor) 4-1 is not that much. Theres a reason there 6 speeds they tend to shift fast now yes you can probably leave it in 1st while wheeling which is helpful and it may take off and have less strain on it with your gearing and tire size but its still a lot of money over a 4r. Yes I know how much is much I run a 435 which is lower overall compared to a t18 My other bronco has the stock 3speed and Ive ran a toploader in my bronco before. So I know how much a differance there is. I also know a auto is a whole different animal than a standard. gear spread with a auto is not quite as big of a deal. it will shift when needed. Other than smoother shifts I dont see much gain especailly since you live on level ground.

Lower speed doesnt equate being able to use OD. It takes more power to move a vehicle in OD than in a 1-1 gearing. in 5th or 6th with 33in tires at 50-60mph your under 1600 rpm you might do it with a 351 built for very low RPM but your about 1000 rpm under what a normal 302 is built to run at. With 35's your lower still. Lower RPM doesnt mean better fuel economy especailly if the engine is not optimized for it.

While Im not all up on the new electronically controlled trans Im sure there a lot that can be done with them. It may be what you want which is fine I just dont see it being completely useable in your setup as is. Id venture a guess that most stock vehicles equipped with the 6r may not go into both OD's at 50 and 60 mph. might hit one but this is a guess on my part.

Honestly why not spend the extra money to put in correct axle gearing to make full use of all the 6r has to offer.

OP
OP
O

OX1

Bronco Guru
Well if you consider how automatics work (torque converter factor) 4-1 is not that much. Theres a reason there 6 speeds they tend to shift fast now yes you can probably leave it in 1st while wheeling which is helpful and it may take off and have less strain on it with your gearing and tire size but its still a lot of money over a 4r. Yes I know how much is much I run a 435 which is lower overall compared to a t18 My other bronco has the stock 3speed and Ive ran a toploader in my bronco before. So I know how much a differance there is. I also know a auto is a whole different animal than a standard. gear spread with a auto is not quite as big of a deal. it will shift when needed. Other than smoother shifts I dont see much gain especailly since you live on level ground.

Lower speed doesnt equate being able to use OD. It takes more power to move a vehicle in OD than in a 1-1 gearing. in 5th or 6th with 33in tires at 50-60mph your under 1600 rpm you might do it with a 351 built for very low RPM but your about 1000 rpm under what a normal 302 is built to run at. With 35's your lower still. Lower RPM doesnt mean better fuel economy especailly if the engine is not optimized for it.

While Im not all up on the new electronically controlled trans Im sure there a lot that can be done with them. It may be what you want which is fine I just dont see it being completely useable in your setup as is. Id venture a guess that most stock vehicles equipped with the 6r may not go into both OD's at 50 and 60 mph. might hit one but this is a guess on my part.

Honestly why not spend the extra money to put in correct axle gearing to make full use of all the 6r has to offer.

Why is gear spread in a modern auto "not that big of a deal". You do realize you can lock the converter in any gear, even first.

Here is a GT500 going from manual to 6R80. Lost 7 HP and gained torque.
and thats @ 700 HP to the wheels. Very efficient compared to older autos.

https://pbhperformance.com/2018/11/meet-genes-6r80-swapped-gt500/

10R80 has a drag strip mode with no torque reduction between shifts and those things are underated, running 11.8's @ 119. Again, stout and efficient.

Lower speed is lower HP needed to get vehicle down the road. So yeah, less power made in OD, but much less power needed, especially in an EB.

I don't see 5.0 HO needing 2600 RPM to get a bronco on 33's down a flat road @ sea level? @ 60 I'm at 2140 now, and I'm down on torque compared to an EFI HO.

Anyway, lets try out this 4R. With 4.56's and .7 overdrive and 33's. Oops, @ 60 MPH, I'm @ 1950 RPM. No good, right?? What do I need 5.13's to use this 4R around my area?? (BTW, 60 MPH , 3.5 gear, .89 5th in 6R80, and 33's is the same RPM, 1910)

6R80 in my 14 Stang GT can get 5th @ 30 MPH and 6th @ 40 MPH if you use man shift buttons. By 50, it's almost always in 6th gear if you are not getting on it.

Never said I would not change gears, but no reason to not try it first, can always do gears later if really needed. The gear spread on a 4 speed auto is just way too much, putting me under 2000 RPM even with 4.56 gears. So I
might have to change gears using 5th on a 6R80, but I definitely HAVE to change gears with a 4R. Now that I had to really sit down and figure all that out, there is no way I'd go with any 4 speed auto.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Here's what I believe...spend the money and report back to us ;)

Oh ya, don't forget the write up and make sure to do a 0-60 gps test before you make any changes.

Seriously... IF you 0-60 in say 13 seconds, and after you spend roughly 2500, it drops the 0-60 down to 8 seconds, then it may be worth it.

Could do a wide ratio in a C4 as well.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
What are people using for shifters for the 6r80?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro