• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cheaper EFI?

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
I assume when going to an explorer setup that you would tune, it has to be EEC-V, yes? Is there a way to use original motor, with EEC-IV distr lets say, (or add crank trigger to an original motor) and still use EEC-V?

Yes, you tune it. The EEC-V Explorer computers cannot run a distributor, so you need the Explorer balancer and timing cover for the crank signal. You can also run coil packs on an EEC-IV Mustang computer by replacing the TFI with an EDIS module and enabling it in the tune.

The issue with that is that there is a lot of wires and complexity.

Agreed. That's why I strip the harness down so that it is standalone for the most part. It is isn't much more wiring than Mustang EFI at that point.

EB70

Yes. You are on my short list when I get to that here shortly EFI guy. I kept almost everything and I am mechanically inclined. It was awesome though how much wire there actually was when you strip the vehicle from one end to the other and don't cut anything.

I had other purposes for dismantling the whole Explorer besides just the swap. I used it as a learning tool with my kids. They really enjoyed taking it apart. I saw kids eyes light up as we dismantled it learning how things work etc.

But wires for days...

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Wires.......Mustang EFI has a 60 pin connector and the Explorer has 120 so yeah it's allot of wires.

I did a 60 pin (van converted from SD to MA Stang) and it wasn't that bad. Once you get it all laid out you see the method to the madness. Laid mine out on a sheet of plywood and used screws to section off the runs.

As for replacement parts, all parts stores will carry Ford EFI sensors and because Ford used the same sensors for many years across many different cars/trucks, they'll be an on the shelf item for years and years to come.

Parts for Fitech are old GM parts (so I'm told) and are also a parts store item.....so i'm told....My guess is they're a bit harder to track down because parts stores want a year make and model to find parts so you would need the GM parts numbers......

Tim

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Wires.......Mustang EFI has a 60 pin connector and the Explorer has 120 so yeah it's allot of wires.

Explorer PCM is 104 pin and after I removed all the unneeded pins for my swap I ended up with 48 pins. I understand what you're saying though.

It felt like it was going to be really difficult until I had the harness sitting in front of me with a few spreadsheets that I created after watching Garry's videos and asking some questions.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Explorer PCM is 104 pin and after I removed all the unneeded pins for my swap I ended up with 48 pins. I understand what you're saying though.

It felt like it was going to be really difficult until I had the harness sitting in front of me with a few spreadsheets that I created after watching Garry's videos and asking some questions.

Though it doubled to 120 with OBDII guess not? I know 94-95 Stang has 60 for sure...LOL 12 are not used and then some can be removed depending on how you set things up I don't recall what my final number was.

At one point I thought to myself, what have I gotten myself into but then after a few beers and a larger than normal "dip" I was back in the game....LOL

Tim