• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Snorkel setups, pics needed

welndmn

Bronco Guru
In an event I'm running the water will be deep, I have been able to get by without an snorkel for years, but for one event I think I will need to install something temporary.

I've thinking of flanging the fender to push the intake out the side, that way I can make a plate to cover the hole when I take elephants nose off my truck.
Another option is punching through the passenger side firewall and running in the cab and to the cage.
Anyone have any pics?
I'm trying to spend very little money, but I'm also not trying to make it look like RV sewer hose is zip tied to my truck.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I'm not sure I've ever seen an early bronco with a snorkel, interesting to see what you come up with.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
If it’s temporary I would find an old hood, cut hole, bring the snorkel back to the cab area. I will look for a pic on how we used to setup for the swamp buggy races and the old “sippi” hole.

Attachments

• F1661CE7-4C7F-4986-A144-20FAE20A6BDA.jpg
    F1661CE7-4C7F-4986-A144-20FAE20A6BDA.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 211

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No pictures but I would think a Defender 90 might be a close fit but I think the picture might be more your style :)

Attachments

• swan-bronco.jpg
    swan-bronco.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 191

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Tom, what the heck kind of tires ^ are those?

They are a narrow grove tire. The team I was apart of was called Hotter than Pink. I don’t think they even have that class but the coarse was mostly about 3’ of water, hard shell bottom and there were several holes that would dip to 4’ and the sippi hole I think was 10yards at 5’ deep. The tires were as narrow as they would allow to cut through the water. It was a lot of fun till it became a NASCAR sanctioned event. Then the safety rules got harder and more out of hand that it became too expensive for a bunch of crackers to afford to have fun.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I remember an old military truck that had the air intake split 2 ways. One was underhood and the other in the cab. There was a capped cover that you could move from one location to the other. Cap in the cab for normal driving. Move the cap to under the hood and the engine breathed through the hole in the dash. As long as that hole in the dash stayed above the water you were good. I am sure it was noisy.

I once had a thought about using the cage as a snorkel. A single leg wouldn't flow enough, but 2 might. Make an adaptor to put the air filter on the cage, split the flow through at least 2 (if not 4) legs, merge it all back together and into the engine. That would be a lot of work, and I don't play in deep water. Never went beyond the thought stage.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
welndmn,

A snorkel is an interesting idea but I don't know if it would get much use other than a cold air breather. Once maybe 8 or 10 years ago I was in Vegas during a major down pour and water did get up to my feet inside my 66. (but I was already soaked with just the bikini top on.) I knew I shouldn't drive in a flooded out underpass but it didn't look that deep and was soo tempting. I made it out but my Bronco didn't seem too happy with me.

There is however one Bronco that I know of that has successfully in my opinion pulled off a snorkel and roof top tent too and it's a very cool... Bronco II. Yes, I said it. He's on Instagram, "broncoverland." I've never met him or talked to him but I think his Bronco II is one cool little truck.

Personally, if I did a snorkel, I'd run the pipe back by the air box for the heater and straight up next to the windshield frame.

Good luck and keep us posted.
:cool:

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They are a narrow grove tire. The team I was apart of was called Hotter than Pink. I don’t think they even have that class but the coarse was mostly about 3’ of water, hard shell bottom and there were several holes that would dip to 4’ and the sippi hole I think was 10yards at 5’ deep. The tires were as narrow as they would allow to cut through the water. It was a lot of fun till it became a NASCAR sanctioned event. Then the safety rules got harder and more out of hand that it became too expensive for a bunch of crackers to afford to have fun.

Thanks for the get-back, Tom. Yeah, rules and regs often strangle and smother such activities. Often the biggest part of the fun is the creativity and free-wheelin', won't-fit-in-a-box genius.

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We always used rubber pipe couplings, 90's with hose clamps and pvc pipe on the 4 wheeler's. It would probably take a 4"or 6" pipe to flow enough air and I'm not sure the lip on the carb would be tall enough to attach it to.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
welndmn,

A snorkel is an interesting idea but I don't know if it would get much use other than a cold air breather.

Personally, if I did a snorkel, I'd run the pipe back by the air box for the heater and straight up next to the windshield frame.

Good luck and keep us posted.
:cool:

How I plan on doing one.

Most vehicles with snorkels have them for dust not water, since the air higher up has less dust in it.
After reading how much 'fun' the guys that went to Baja last year had with the dust there I am thinking it would be a good idea.

PaveBronco

not the greatest pic but its and old Military air intake that runs through the vent and I made a filter box inside. Now they sell the same sort of box, mounts to the inner fender and goes to the heater air intake. Not a temp setup though, but gets better air to the engine.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 156
  • DOOR 1.JPG
    DOOR 1.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 155

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I remember seeing these in a FB group awhile ago so I did a quick search for you.

Attachments

• 16473682_1329365553800613_8917710144042227900_n.jpg
    16473682_1329365553800613_8917710144042227900_n.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 184
  • 1393537_10201371090453446_941869061_n.jpg
    1393537_10201371090453446_941869061_n.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 163
  • 294180_10150258699698231_1084521_n.jpg
    294180_10150258699698231_1084521_n.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 179

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
Seems like the old OEM air cleaner setup is a good starting point for the under the hood part of a snorkel if it was sealed up. Maybe if you could find an old junked one laying around.

Attachments

• AirCleaner.gif
    AirCleaner.gif
    41.2 KB · Views: 74

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That and a tube of silly cone would be a great starting point for a temp set up!

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
I don't need a snorkel, but after looking at that OEM filter set up I posted, I am really considering making a true cold air intake out of something like that. It has to benefit my set up. I have the standard big round aftermarket air filter on top of carb, sitting up in the hood hump, where you have to assume the most heat collects. I only drive in coastal South Carolina and usually only when temps are between 70-100 degrees.

The only way heat gets out (and its hot in there) is out the 2 rear vents that I don't have connected bc I don't have the heater part hooked up (it just draws direct from under dash and blows defrost).