• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is the T Bird Caliper the Same Physical Size as OEM Ford Bronco Caliper on Dana 44?

Swerve

Hello All..

I can not install my T-bird calipers on my stock caliper brackets on my Dana 44 front with Reid Racing knuckles. The body of the caliper hits the knuckle. Does anyone know if the OEM early Ford (1976) Bronco calipers for the Dana 44 are smaller in overall physical size than the T-bird calipers?

Thanks, Swerve

Last edited:
OP
OP
Swerve

Swerve

I think they're the same body with a bigger piston. They bolted right on my ford brackets.

Thanks...

That's what I was told initially...are your Ford brackets mounted on Reid Racing knuckles?

OP
OP
Swerve

Swerve

I plan to call Reid Racing and Wild Horses tomorrow...but does anyone have some insight in the meantime?

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I think they're the same body with a bigger piston. They bolted right on my ford brackets.

^^^^^ Same here, I have stock knuckles too. Not sure on the Reids, those are larger and way stout. I have all stock ford calipers,knuckles, brackets, everything. :cool:

toddsrods

I did the t-bird caliper swap a while back. externally it looks identical.
the only installation difference is the inlet fitting. it is designed for the passenger car lines that screw directly into the caliper, not the banjo bolt the light trucks used. I was able to modify the caliper a bit and find a banho bolt the right thread from Earl's to make it work with the stainless lines I already had.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Yep ^^^^^ Exactly, great call bud, I'm sleepy and trying to get going today, lol, long ass weekend haha, I have the banjos from the truck conversion. Pretty headache free installation, not too bad at all. :cool:

76YETI

Loc.
KC METRO
I had just sent an email to BC Broncos reference the same question because they sell a kit to include new lines. They advised the calipers are the same size as stock, but the pistons are larger...I have a 76

OP
OP
Swerve

Swerve

You have to grind off a boss on the t-bird caliper to fit the Reid Racing D44 knuckles. See my thread here:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267442

I think I emailed Reid Racing about this so that they could update their documentation and website.

Thank you! That is exactly what I am encountering! I bought two new Bronco calipers today and they fit the Reid racing knuckles perfectly...I don't need the T-Bird ones badly enough to spend the time grinding them...

Photo shows Bronco caliper (left) and T-bird caliper with the extra boss cast into it.

Attachments

• IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 89
OP
OP
Swerve

Swerve

It only took a few minutes with a 4.5" grinder.

Thanks...I realize that the grinding part is not difficult, as long as I am at my shop...If I need a replacement while on the road going across the country I don't want to also be looking for a way to grind the replacement to make it fit...