• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Finally Confirmed VIN

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Yes I didn't know any better when I bought my Bronco back in Sep, had a VIN tag and title so I thought it was good. I had looked for the VIN on frame before but I was looking about 6 inches forward of where it was, now I know it's a match.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 300
OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Would there be holes in the glove box door if it ever had a tag?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 170
OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Ok gotcha, I knew of the 3 places (well 4 counting rear frame stamp, or 5 counting driver door jamb sticker) but I didn't know it was either/or glove box-kick panel. Kick panel on mine is trashed so I'm guessing a PO rescued the tag at some point.

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
Yea, it takes a bit of time to check them all. It was a lot easier on my '75. Match t he frame and glove box.. Some early (and even later) ones can be a nightmare if someone has done a lot of sheet-metal replacement. Some states are tough if the frame and body are not matched. Here, if you buy it from out of state, everything has to match to register it. Most license bureaus are not real strict, but if you get a stickler, it can be a nightmare if it is wrong the first time.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Like said, the '66 did not have the glovebox warranty tag. Didn't have the door decal either, as that didn't start appearing until sometime around '69 I think.

Good detectiving. Glad you're still solving the little mysteries of these old things.

Paul

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Edmedlin the BMV here is pretty laid back I think they're so focused on a less-than-17 digit VIN that they only need to see one example.
Paul here's some more detective work for you and all, I got this tag with what looks to be the original or damn near original keys, quite sure it's not a buck tag (don't think I've ever seen one) but thought it may be significant what do y'all think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 145

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Not a buck tag, not really sure what tag it is though. Agree probably the original keys. Looks like about the same wear and tear as mine. Cool stuff!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Might be the actual key tag? I've never seen one, but many of the cars back then came with them. I know all the GM cars had not only little key tags for later re-ordering, but additional ones that literally were punch-outs that were actually part of the original keys.
You still had a little round hole with the tabs intact, but got a larger hole for the key ring when you punched them out.

Just found some interesting old stuff in Dad's desk drawer from old cars. I still remembered seeing them when I was a kid, and that was the original Black and Yellow license plate tags. They were a duplicate of the license plates for his cars, but were only about an inch long and went on the key ring. Talk about memories!

Paul

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I did a little research and that's exactly what it is Paul, an ID tag for the tumblers in the ignition & doors in case you lost your key. Pretty sure the keys don't correspond to the locks anymore, but pretty cool they kept them AND the tag!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, very cool indeed! So much of that stuff is long lost to us.
Too bad you can't get a Marti Report for a '66 either, or you could frame them right next to the build sheet and other stuff.

Paul

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I have never seen a Ford key tag. I did get one of the small key ring things with a 63 Riviera I bought in San Diego. Not sure I would want my tag number attached to my keys these days......
80e7cca2989f413e6a99db1a1ea35735.jpg

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Rear frame stamp? I had mine to bare metal and only stamp was at common location top of frame right side header area.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've heard that they weren't always there. Don't remember anyone saying it was a year-by-year thing. I think it was more haphazard which frames got the rear stamp.

That's a great little keepsake there Slowleak. And a Riviera to boot! Great car back in the day.

Paul

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Amazingly the square key still works on the liftgate!! The round key fits perfectly in the glove box but it won't turn

13fishman13

Loc.
Richland, Wa.
Read these posts well after I should have and kept coming up with reasons (a.k.a. excuses, worry, fear) not to go search and verify the frame VIN. When I bought the 71 a few years ago DMV required nothing but a signed title. I had verified against the glovebox tag and it had no door tag........fast forward a few years through a complete restoration taken way further than I originally planned and you can understand my fear.

Decided today that I couldn't take it and had to know! Telling myself it didn't matter "cause I am never selling it" just wasn't working anymore. After a little searching was able to locate the #'s and............#?*%.......they actually match! I will sleep well tonight.

Thanks to all for the tech info. and pics on location and for providing the motivation to finally verify.

hucklburry rev2

I have that key tag for my 66, I always figured they shipped that way so the dealer had a tag to know what car they went too when they hang them up in the dealership somewhere

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I would assume the rear vin stamp would be the first to rust away. The front usually is covered in oil and grime, essentially preserving it. The rear is open to air and water and mud and salt and God knows what. You may also look in the middle of your frame. I thought I read somewhere where there might be a rare VIN directly under the passenger seat, not to be confused with the one closer to the shock tower.

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
While cleaning the frame today I found the elusive rear VIN frame stamp, and found ANOTHER stamp next to it!! Not sure what it is...but really savoring the time with my youngest boy, so glad he's taken an interest.

Attachments

• IMG_2989.jpg
    IMG_2989.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2992.jpg
    IMG_2992.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2987.jpg
    IMG_2987.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 55