• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ZF or M5OD

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
It's time to make a decision. I have the ZF and the M5 trans and wanted some opinions on which to use. I am putting it behind a 331 motor with 4.10 gears and 32-33 inch tires. Mainly street driven and some trail riding. Thanks, Ken

jmhend

Bronco Guru
It's time to make a decision. I have the ZF and the M5 trans and wanted some opinions on which to use. I am putting it behind a 331 motor with 4.10 gears and 32-33 inch tires. Mainly street driven and some trail riding. Thanks, Ken
My .02 is go with the ZF, from my limited knowledge if your looking for the strength the go with the ZF Ford put it behind F250's for a reason.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
M5odr2 is a strong transmission, just make sure it's the R2 version. It will feel a bit sportier shifting than the ZF. It also will not have the "gear rollover" noise that many complain about with the ZF5.

agboy91

Loc.
Bishop, GA
M5. I have mine behind a 5.0 with 3.56 gears. With your 4.10 5th will be very usable. You can also save some money by finding a 205 transfer case as it bolts up and you don't need the adapters. Your will need to make or have made your drive shafts. I really like the M5

OP
OP
bronkenn

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Thanks guys, I already have the adapters for the conversion so that's no problem, and it is the r2 trans. The ZF weight is about 100 pounds more than the M5 and I have to modify the trans tunnel for either one anyway so I was wanting input pro or con about both trannys. What is the roll over noise? I did have one in a 1988 truck and don't recall any problems with it, It did have the diesel in it so I probably wouldn't have heard any noise. Thanks, Ken

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I like it also. If you gomwith the adapter and d20 it will make the trans/adapter/transfer case 9" longer than stock 3 speed combo. So you need to lengtjen the front 9"
And shorten the rear 9". Approxomitly. I measured like on tom woods page and ordered from him. Took out all the guesswork. But i had a lift and moved the rear axel also. But now both my shafts are the same length which means i woukd only need to carry 1 spare and my transfer case is dead center of the wheelbase. Makes for good balance. To be fair the zf is the same length and will do the same. But it is a truck trans and will shift like one. The m5 was also in 302 powered f250's so it is strong also

Nevadasmith

Loc.
Fallon, Nv
I whent with the zf5, mainly because I found one at a pick and pull, the day I was out shopping for a m5odr2. The extra low is nice but you can't use it on the street, netral is loud, and it chatters a bit if you lug it..... shifting is slow and notchy...on the street I would take the m5odr2 every time. And even off road it would be great untill you start hard core trails.....if I were planning trips over the Rubicon/Moab it's the zf5 every time.....be honest with yourself what how are you going to use it?

hucklburry rev2

I had an 88 F250/351/zf and a 97 F150/4.6/M5

I don't recall either being a big deal to shift, I don't recall hating the zf or loving the M5, I don't think there is a big enough difference in their shifting to matter to me, neither is a short-shift t-5 or sporty. Actually I loved them both but mostly for having a 5 speed manual trans truck.

I have a zf to put in my EB, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the M5. I guess if this EB is mostly street, use the mazda and save the ZF for some heavier usage?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I have said it here before regarding this subject.

I have worked for the same engineering firm since August 1990.
We have had Chevy and Ford Trucks
The best shifting truck transmission hands down was the Chevy light duty 5 speed (3550?) with the Ford light duty M tranny being a very close second.

The HD ZF (Ford) and HD NV 5600? (Chevy) were wonderfully tough but horrible daily driving shifters.

I could easily out run my friends F-250 work truck with a 351W and a ZF tranny with my F-150 300 (six) and a M tranny. It may not be a sporty shifter but it is miles ahead of the ZF for a daily driver. As one of our buddies above said, "Be honest with yourself"
If its headed to the Rubicon or just hard core stuff then yes the ZF....with a NP-205 tc....but if a street cruiser then its hard to beat the performance and convenience of the M tranny.

Last edited:

Nothing Special

M5odr2 is a strong transmission, just make sure it's the R2 version....

Is there a light-duty 5 speed in Ford trucks that's not an R2 version? In Ford-speak "M5OD simply means "Manual 5 speed with OverDrive" and is used to describe all 5 speed overdrive manuals. Ford calls the heavy-duty version (made by ZF) an M5OD-HD, and the light duty one (made by Mazda) an M5OD-R2. No one other than Ford calls the ZF trans an M5OD, but are there more than the two 5 speeds? The heavy-duty ZF5 and the light duty Mazda M5OD-R2?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The wussy version was used behind V6 engines in Rangers and BroncoIIs. It was the upgrade from the Mitsubishi transmission.

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Can't remember the exact years but the M5od was the predecessor to the M5odR2. Here is a little more info on the R2 version:

M5ODR2
97-04 F150 4x4 V6
Adapter plate bolts (8)-M12 x 1.75 x 40

The M5OD-R2 is found in:
* 1988-1998 Ford F-150
* 1988-1998 Ford F-250 (GVWR < 8500)

* 1988-1996 Ford Bronco
Later model has taller mount, which requires a longer stub:
* 1999-2008 Ford F-150
* 1999 Ford F-250 "non-SuperDuty" (GVWR < 8500)
Gearing:

OP
OP
bronkenn

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Thanks again guys, I was leaning toward the M5 but I wanted opines from people that have used them. I wont be doing the MOAB for sure but it is fun to row thru the gears with the torque of the 331 especially if I meet up with a j--p next to me at a stop light :). Wont be doing any John Force smokey burnouts for sure. Appreciate the input, Ken

Nothing Special

Can't remember the exact years but the M5od was the predecessor to the M5odR2....

It seems like it had to be called something different that that, unless it was also before the M5OD-HD (ZF5). Although I suppose Ford could have called their only manual 5 speed overdrive "M5OD" and only differentiated after there were more than one.

stevenson44

Man, this thread has me re-thinking...I collected both the zf and m502 and recently sold the m. I had one in a 1993 short bed F150 behind a 5.0 when I was younger. That truck had a 4" lift and 33" tires. I absolutely love how it shifted and drove. I toasted the synchros one evening and had to replace them. I kept the zf for the early bronco project for 2 reasons:
1. It will be behind a 351 and I believe that the zf will last
2. The zf seemed more difficult to acquire-I thought that it was more desirable.

Hearing from so many m5r2 fans has me wishing I hadn't sold it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
M5 over the ZF ANY day for street...I ran the ZF for a dozen years..OK, but not if there was a real choice...in fact, there weren't any adapters made for a ZF for a Bronco back then. :)

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Will the M5ODR2 live behind a 351W 320hp 400fpt with 4.11's and 33's?

Driven hard on the street.....

Tim

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Will the M5ODR2 live behind a 351W 320hp 400fpt with 4.11's and 33's?

Driven hard on the street.....

Tim

M5OD-R2 is rated for 330 ft/lbs, maybe it would last longer if you baby it.

NV3550 is rated for 300 ft/lbs, as above.

ZF S5-42 420 ft/lbs, ZF S5-47 470 ft/lbs, but they don't shift like a car.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I remember reading that the NV3550 is rated at 300 ft. lbs. for 7200 gvwr.

Does that mean it will take more torque in our light eb's?