• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Recovering seat

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
So I went and got a couple of prices on having the seats recovered in a plain black vinyl. The prices I am getting are 800.00 or so, to rich for my blood. I have won off ebay and am sourcing the fronts. How are is it to DIY the seats, never done it before, Thanks

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Some of the DIY seat recover sets are nice. I never did a bronco seat but I did a bench seat from an old F250 and it came out nice. Before you recover it put the new covers out in the sun and it will go on alot easier. I think I got the one I used from LMC.

vesparex

I am doing mine right now with kits of the foam and the vinyl from Tom's. It’s my first time and its going well. Be SURE to use the wire in the new covers for the hog rings to pull on.

I will be posting pics soon.

Duane

77BRONKOTN

I paid $130 for fronts, from the guy on eBay, $99 for seat heaters, $60 for install.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You will want to buy new foam too from one of our vendors. You will need a good pair of hog ring pliers. Get a good pair and dont cheap out with those little red handle cheapies. I used a set with bent handles it made life easier. When skinning your old seats pay attention to how and where the hog rings are placed. It would be better to cut the first skin apart leaving the old ulpolstery in place showing you where the hog rings go. use this as a guide while you reskin the other side. You will need a pair of needle nose pliers, a pair of diagonal cutters. Extra coat hanger wires and maybe a bunch of tie wraps. Use the coat hanger wire or tie wraps to pull the material down in the tough locations so you can place the hog rings. You will also need some 3/M super 77 spray contact adheasive if you planning to recover the seat backs. you will need a phillips screwdriver. When removing the top of the seat from the seat bottom after you remove the side covers and cotter pins on the side of the seat pivot with the long leg, loop a belt around the leg and pull on the strap to spring it off its peg. I use a dog leash as I can wrap it around my hands to get a good grip. Do the passengers side first if you make mistakes that seat is used less. By the time you get through the first one you will be an expert and the second seat will take less that 1/3rd the time and be better than the first.

Jfromtn

Loc.
Leoma, TN
I recovered my front seats with jbg seat covers and new seat foam from laurel mountain mustang.I used a heat lamp to get the vinyl warm and stretch it. Not to hard once you get the hang if it. At first your gonna think there no way this will stretch but it will.goo luck.yeah a local guy quoted me 500 for the front seats.

larryejoh

I used a set of front seat upholstery for a 69 Mustang with low back seats and seat buns for an early Mustang. It was easier and cheaper to find on EBay.

N747JB

I've got some ordered from Melissa at Bronco Hut, hopefully in the next 2 or 3 weeks I can give you a report. ;)

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
I got my seats covers from TBP, the cheapest quote to do my seats was 1200.00 here in NYC. Read a article from the tech section and did it over the 2008 winter. I put them in the drier just before the install

john monroe

there is a real good tech article posted under interiors,bottom of second page,by Bill Criss(mnkybiz),I read it several times before atempting my seats and they still came out great.

notorious

Loc.
Nashvegas
Simple trick to ease the cover over the foam is to put a plastic trash bag over the foam then the cover will slide right on. Leave the plastic as it will not have any ill effect nor will it make any noise.

vesparex

I'm installing seat heaters too, bought directly from Dorman. $57 a side. Looks like nice stuff, have not finished yet though to give a complete opinion.

Duane