Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 04/19/18, 04:09 PM   #16
Rustytruck
Contributor
Bronco Guru

honest the bolder ran under me

El Monte CA
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
You know how shifting out of from 4WD to 2WD the transfer case sometimes gets stuck and backing up helps?
That used to happen to me when I had 3.50 rears and 3.54 fronts. The rear was crowding the front.
Now I have 4.11 rears and 4.09 fronts. That sticky transfer case issue hasn't happened since the gear swap. I think it's because the front is turning faster than the rear.
Mine was better with the same swap too.

I'd pull the cover on the front gear set and verify the gear count. I would expect if the gears were that far off you would have a hell of a time shifting it.

1974, stock 302, C4, BFG KM2 33x12.5x15, 8in rim, detroit rear, trutrac front 4.11 gearing, Warflairs,2.5" lift, chevy disc conversion, Hydraboost, owned since Christmas Eve 1977
Rustytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/18, 05:57 PM   #17
Broncobowsher
Total hack

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ
Did he ever confirm that they really are 3.73? That just isn't a gear ratio that you normally find in a Bronco. Someone had to go out of there way to do it, if that is really what it is. I'm guessing that with backlash it just wasn't counted correctly.

"She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro"-Zapp Brannigan
“How hard can it be?”-Clarksonius 4th century BC.
Full throttle, it either solves the problem or ends the suspense.
Broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/18, 07:07 PM   #18
sykanr0ng
Contributor
Bronco Guru

"You say overkill like it's a bad thing"

Greeley, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by garberz View Post
I think that was what the marketing dept. came up with. With Ford making the rear, and Dana making the front, that's the reason they're slightly different. Mine's 4.56 up front, 4.57 out back.

Mark
There are actually 4.56 and 4.57 ratio ring and pinion gear sets made for the Ford 9 inch.

4.56 are 9 teeth on the pinion and 41 on the ring gear,

4.57 are 7 teeth on the pinion and 32 on the ring gear.

... I've got skills, ingenuity and no regard for maintaining any kind of historical preservation or authenticity...My Dad called that sick and wrong
www.coloradoclassicbroncos.com
sykanr0ng is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/18, 07:48 PM   #19
garberz
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Clear me a path...

Conejo Valley, Ca.

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykanr0ng View Post
There are actually 4.56 and 4.57 ratio ring and pinion gear sets made for the Ford 9 inch.

4.56 are 9 teeth on the pinion and 41 on the ring gear,

4.57 are 7 teeth on the pinion and 32 on the ring gear.
That’s interesting, I wonder what other ratio’s are matching between Ford and Dana?

Mark

EFI, OBDII, 5.0, C4, AtlasII 3.8. 4.56's, Detroit's, 35's, Duff Long Arms, 5.5" coils w/adjustable mounts. 3" suspension lift.
garberz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/18, 04:22 PM   #20
Nothing Special

Roseville, MN
For a week or two I had 33" tires on the back and 28" tires on the front of my F-150. That's about the equivalent of 4.10 gears in the front and 3.54 in the rear. During that time I got stuck on a muddy hill and needed to use 4WD. The truck was almost unsteerable. The different ratios meant that always both tires on one axle were sliding. Which axle was sliding would switch back and forth, and the net effect was that the truck pretty much went where it wanted regardless of where I pointed the tires. I was able to get up the hill and shift back into 2WD. But I proved, at least to myself, that mismatched ratios don't work on slippery surfaces either.

edit: The purpose of the mis-matched tires was to test how the truck would do with taller tires. I was going to lift it and put 33s on, but wanted to know if I needed to change the 3.54 gears. The 33s didn't fit on the front without a lift, but they did fit on the rear. So I changed the rear tires and drove it for a couple weeks, including a trip to tow a small farm tractor. I decided that the 3.54 gears were fine with the 33s and I didn't need to regear. So I put the 28s back on until I did lift it and could put 33s on both ends. I knew I couldn't use 4WD with the mis-matched sizes. But when I couldn't get up the hill, and knew that with it as slippery as it was it would never cause any bind problems I did it. It got me up the hill, didn't cause any problems (other than handling!) and gave me first-hand experience how bad that could be!

Last edited by Nothing Special; 04/21/18 at 06:18 AM..

Bob
'71 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 spd, Atlas 4.3:1, 4.10:1, Detroit rear, 33" BFG AT Build Thread
Nothing Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/18, 05:02 PM   #21
Apogee
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Cuz that's how I roll.

Tangent, OR
That's funny...my brother and I took his Toyota out in the snow/ice when it had the 4.88/5.29 gear mismatch and it was the same thing. You couldn't go straight if you wanted to, with or without the ARB's locked. It was like driving a shopping cart, loaded with bowling balls down a flight of stairs...scary at best, downright dangerous at worst. I'm not sure how those mud/sand guys make it work, but my guess is that they're carrying/skimming their front tires as much as possible with 1600 HP and comp cut Boggers or paddle tires.

Did you know that 95% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
Apogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/18, 11:59 PM   #22
El Kabong
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Driving stuff Henry built

Pasadena, CA
I test drove a fullsize Bronco with mismatched gears. It was very clear within a few feet in 4wd that there was a serious problem. The term "Bucking Bronco" fit very well. Once stopped the drivetrain was so bound up I had a hard time getting it back in 2wd to drive it back. Then the seller tried to convince me that when you put the t-case in 4wd you are supposed to unlock the front hubs.

That Bronco didn't follow me home. Mismatched gears in 4wd is a no no.

-Rough 73, cut, 400, np435, d20, 35s. Workin' on it.
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, bw1356, 35s.
El Kabong is a cartoon horse from when I was a kid in the the 60s. No bong was used in the selection of this user name.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech