• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

CA 76 Bronco DESTROYING starter solenoids!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sourjack89

I have gone through 4 starter solenoids in one weekend! 76 Bronco 302 Automatic... sometimes it starts fine, other times I crank it, the engine starts but the starter keeps spinning, at which point it kills the solenoid. HELP! What can I do?

OP
OP
S

Sourjack89

Oh no! Can someone please move this thread to “Bronco Tech” that is what I clicked on initially...my phone must have a glitch. Sorry!

RolledItAgain

Sounds like your ignition switch is sticking. Check voltage from the ignition at the solenoid as you turn the key to on then start. Once you release it from start it should spring back to run and the voltage going to the solenoid should drop to Zero. You may need to turn the key back to run if the spring is too weak.
First, remove the lead going to the starter to you don't kill another one.

SuperSession74

Loc.
Redondo Beach
Dealt with this very same issue when I purchased mine went through two solenoids before I even bought it ! Mine would fire up and starter would stay engaged when you hooked up the battery ( no key in the ignition ! ).Took me awhile to find but what had happened previously was the resistor wire (bigger red wire ) running under the dash had smoked and melted the ignition wire and fused it together with a constant 12v wire . Maybe not the same issue but sometimes it would be fine then it wouldn't. It was just enough contact to cause this issue. I ended up fishing under the dash and discovered it by moving the wire loom around while watching a volt meter at the solenoid wires. Definitely was a head scratcher.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Wrong senolide ... I've had several in the past that the motor kept running when cranked.& The key would not kill it off. Mine blew the battery in half .
But what I came up with is I need a senolide that either had a grounded base or does not have a grounded base . I'll say what ever yours is it backwards.
I also don't put the positive cable on the battery tight. So When I start the Motor if it hangs I can take the cable off the Battery before it blows.

Status
Not open for further replies.