• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco weight reduction

Greg Bell

Hey guys,

Has anyone ever spent any effort cutting their Bronco's weight? I know that is generally not a major consideration in trucks but I was just wondering.

Any threads on this that I have missed?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Other than removing the hard top, swapping the steel body for a fiberglass one and getting every aluminum part availible to replace cast iron ones. Almost all the other popluar stuff is almost always heavier than what came stock.
Of course you remove the top and then you need a roll cage so weight goes back on.
Not to mention trying to reduce the weight could just get expensive.I think your wallet would be the only thing losing weight.
When it comes down to it I dont think its really worth all the effort.

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
Seems like just the frame and running gear is around 2,000lbs. Body is pretty simple, so not a lot of places to lose weight - losing the top and doors might shave a couple hundred pounds - a decent cage puts most of that back on. Good bumpers can be over 100lbs per end. Even going glass with no doors or top and you'll still be around 3000lbs. That's pretty light for an EB

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
Ditch the doors, tail gate, hard top, spare tire, aux tank, back seat, steel hood, and swap to a 6 cylinder engine. After that, I guess you could start drilling holes in stuff to lighten it up, but that's a lot of effort for little return.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
All alluminum engine, block, heads, intake.
Alluminum pullies
Alluminum radiator
Hight torque mini starter
Replace steel wheels with alluminum wheels

Keep it stock height, as bigger tires and wheels weigh more

If you will never take it off road, gut the front axle, remove front driveshaft, replace the trans with a mustang 5 speed, and ditch the transfer case

357Bronco

Loc.
New Hampsha
Just to give you an idea of what it takes to shed weight. My Bronco is a glass tub, no tailgate, doors are stripped of all glass and frames,windshield frame is fiberglass and the windshield is lexan. No top, and the seats are racing plastic type. I have no inner front clip, and my radiator support is literally just a radiator support, made out of maybe 8lbs of tubing and mounts. I have no lights, heater, wipers, or bumpers. Aluminum?...radiator, cylinder heads, intake, dash, door panels, trans pan, fuel cell, and all the fuel line fittings. My rear 15x15 rims are less then ten lbs a piece, and the cut paddles are under 30lbs each. Fronts are regular aluminum rims, but the tires are probably 25 or less. I added weight with the cage, harnesses, and some extra bracing on the rear axle, and driveshaft loops. .....3086lbs, without me in it, and maybe 8gallons of race fuel in the cell.

nrramse

I'm curious - what goal are you trying to accomplish by losing the weight? Better quarter mile times? Fuel economy?

The reason I ask is that, in many cases, traction is better if there's more weight on the tires and so if you're into offroading you may not want to lose weight.

Newell

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:D :D :D My 68 has had a lot of steel removed from it. cut about 4" from the bottom all around. Front inner fenders are gone coil springs are gone now has leaf (2) no windshield roll cage abour 4" shorter than a stock typ. Has a glass hood and the rear floor pan was removed and a pc. of about 22ga. tin was used. Gas tank gone now has about a 2.5 gal tank. Also no front brakes. Has a 2 speed trans (lenco) and D20. Was set up as a sand drager made to go 300' very fast.;D ;D ;D Bill %) :cool: ;D

357Bronco

Loc.
New Hampsha
I'm curious - what goal are you trying to accomplish by losing the weight? Better quarter mile times? Fuel economy?

The reason I ask is that, in many cases, traction is better if there's more weight on the tires and so if you're into offroading you may not want to lose weight.

Newell

If your wondering about mine, sand drags, may go to a shallow mud race, but was built for the drags.

357Bronco

Loc.
New Hampsha
:D :D :D My 68 has had a lot of steel removed from it. cut about 4" from the bottom all around. Front inner fenders are gone coil springs are gone now has leaf (2) no windshield roll cage abour 4" shorter than a stock typ. Has a glass hood and the rear floor pan was removed and a pc. of about 22ga. tin was used. Gas tank gone now has about a 2.5 gal tank. Also no front brakes. Has a 2 speed trans (lenco) and D20. Was set up as a sand drager made to go 300' very fast.;D ;D ;D Bill %) :cool: ;D

I need some pics, didn't realize there was another drag Bronco here.

nrramse

If your wondering about mine, sand drags, may go to a shallow mud race, but was built for the drags.

I was thinking of Greg, but it did get me curious to look at your gallery. That Bronco looks like a lot of fun! I like the tow vehicle too - sweet!

Newell

1WILD69

Loc.
south range
I cut Everything off that didn't need to be there. Took 26" out of the grill and made everything else match up, bare bones with skins. I did it to keep the body out of the trees and rocks but it hasnt worked for me yet