• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New radiator advice

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Keep in mind that the best shroud out there for both looks and performance would be that Ron Davis aluminum shroud from WH. It wraps around the fan better and is gorgeous, but I just couldn't justify the cost. No offense meant to WH. I love Paul and Jim.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
where did you get the ABS shroud? will standard 302 shroud fit the Spectra?

I got it from Jeff's. I ended up cutting a small bit out of it, the part on the passenger side that over hangs the radiator a bit. My rig has a three groove pulley on the crank from a prior AC unit, so dropping from a 1_3/4" fan spacer to a 1" would have caused interference the other direction. When time and money allows, I will move to a much lighter two groove aluminum pulley. The cast iron is a parasitic beast.

I still left the protection part of the shroud and only trimmed from the back side, so fingers can't easily get caught in the fan.

There's all sorts of research that says a fan should not go over the tanks of a radiator, causing an imbalance yada yada, but that's how mine is set up so I figured trimming the back side of the shroud hopefully will help with some of the imbalance and will allow the fan to not take a bit of the shroud right there.

If you are running a stock 3/4" spacer, you'll have no problems.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Keep in mind that the best shroud out there for both looks and performance would be that Ron Davis aluminum shroud from WH. It wraps around the fan better and is gorgeous, but I just couldn't justify the cost. No offense meant to WH. I love Paul and Jim.

You know damn well one way or another your Bronco gonna get that money regardless ;D

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I got it from Jeff's. I ended up cutting a small bit out of it, the part on the passenger side that over hangs the radiator a bit. My rig has a three groove pulley on the crank from a prior AC unit, so dropping from a 1_3/4" fan spacer to a 1" would have caused interference the other direction. When time and money allows, I will move to a much lighter two groove aluminum pulley. The cast iron is a parasitic beast.

I still left the protection part of the shroud and only trimmed from the back side, so fingers can't easily get caught in the fan.

There's all sorts of research that says a fan should not go over the tanks of a radiator, causing an imbalance yada yada, but that's how mine is set up so I figured trimming the back side of the shroud hopefully will help with some of the imbalance and will allow the fan to not take a bit of the shroud right there.

If you are running a stock 3/4" spacer, you'll have no problems.

I hadnt paid attention to this point but yes I have a 3/4” spacer. I know when I went Champion aluminum on my 66 Mustang I had to buy a shorter spacer...still got the old one if anyone needs it (2nd pic)

One thing that bothers me though is that I’m still not getting cooling system pressure like I should, meaning I can still squeeze the upper radiator hose after a decent drive. Up til now I thought maybe the cool weather was the main factor but it’s pretty dang warm out now. I know the radiator cap is good, thermostat is good and of course radiator is new...is the water pump the only remaining question mark?

Attachments

• BB32A0E2-48A8-49F1-8D26-7D7494BB2752.jpg
    BB32A0E2-48A8-49F1-8D26-7D7494BB2752.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 43
  • BC8969A6-E510-4507-AE11-EA7243D7E161.jpg
    BC8969A6-E510-4507-AE11-EA7243D7E161.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 31

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
I know the radiator cap is good, thermostat is good and of course radiator is new...is the water pump the only remaining question mark?

Hold old is the water pump and who makes it?

I installed a Gates replacement. My upper hose is firm when she's hot. %)

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Hold old is the water pump and who makes it?

I installed a Gates replacement. My upper hose is firm when she's hot. %)

turns out the radiator cap I 'knew' was good was not %) or at least not the right application as it may have come off my 6 cyl radiator...i got a new one for V8 from the parts house and it had a rubber seal under the cap where the other did not...I now have good pressure!

not sure on the brand or age of water pump...69 block, 85 carb...Frankie lives ;)