• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

extended radius arm question

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I've got these huge suckers, not sure how much longer than stock but they are beasts. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 149

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Thank you,it's all brand new, open diff 4.56 gears,disc brake conversion,power steering,the works. Jim. ;)

Upgrading to 4:56 and keeping the open diff? That's kinda like buying your grandma a boob job... j/k. I'm still selling bodily fluids to get the arb's and 4:56 in my 72.

NAK

Bhahaha. Love it.
Sorry to hijack this thread but anybody running BCB’s stock length adjustable radius arms? How are they working?

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I would set the radius arm length such that the plunge in the front drive-shaft is eliminated or reduced to the barest minimum. that means putting the frame pivot point the same distance behind the t/c U-J as is the pinion U-J behind the front axle center-line.
Folks badly underestimate how much drive-shaft plunge detracts from a free moving suspension. It's not too evident at slow speed, but hit a hard bump at speed and the difference is substantial. Even seen the splines pumped so full of grease that the drive-shaft can't collapse at all? Shades of that.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Several members of the Colorado club had a group build of extended arms based on the Lars bars design:

http://www.coloradoclassicbroncos.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7043

You can't see the pics without being a member though, only a few are on Photobucket.

Lars said he decided on 6 inches longer as a compromise between flex and roll, the guys in the Colorado club made theirs 10 inches longer.

One question I have is the effect of a sway bar on the additional roll, so far no one has said whether they have one or not.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
To answer the original question - one way to determine the extra length would be to extend it enough to make up the difference in height provided by a lift. So, keep the original angle the same but extend it up to the frame rail.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Upgrading to 4:56 and keeping the open diff? That's kinda like buying your grandma a boob job... j/k. I'm still selling bodily fluids to get the arb's and 4:56 in my 72.

That's funny lol. And the open diff is only temporary, have too much other stuff to get done first, then when I can afford one I will go with the ARB, same with the rear, for now the factory LS will do. ;D

Dano 407

Loc.
The Orange Groves
I built a set of Lars Bars, which wind up about 6" longer than stock. Reference the NorCal Broncos link above. I wanted better articulation, but nothing too extreme. But that being said, I also built a pair of coil spring towers 2 1/2" taller than stock, and installed some 5 1/2" springs. Net suspension lift is 3" but the front does move pretty well. The pic below is on the ramp, measuring for shocks.

I'm happy with the performance. I do get more roll than with the old 2 1/2" supension lift, but it's not bad at all, and very predictable.

Pic courtesy of motoman!
IMG_TIM_0091.jpg

So I am not the only one to take the 5 1/2" coil and lower it 2". I did mine with the 12" radius arm extensions and added a Hellwig front sway bar with disconnects. It drives great on the street and is very flexy.

patford

I have wh 3.5 coils with home made long arms . When i add long arms only mildly improve the flex was not happy after all the work . So jack the front end up to full droop jack stands and remove one coil . Jack up one side and long arms flex way better , the coils bind up to soon . Basing my problem is why dano407 and others go too 5.5 coils with taller buckets. Hope this adds to this post and can dano 407 or others tell me more about taller coil set up .

Dano 407

Loc.
The Orange Groves
So I have stared at the front end of this thing for a long time. I have never wanted a tall rig, just one that traveled. The first thing I did was wrist one of the radius arms, and I am fine using it if I am not loaded, as it affects the braking power of the rig (it forces the driver side radius arm to absorb all of the upward braking force of the vehicle). The longer radius arms decrease bushing bind on the rear end of the arm so I set about increasing the travel on the front end of the arm.

I had it down to the bare frame in the winter of 2013 and decided to run longer coils to see if it would gain anything. It took me an hour to lower the buckets 2" because of how far down it was torn.

I bought the WH 5.5" coils and have been happy with the travel, especially on light duty stuff when I pull the wristed side pin.

It is an ongoing experiment that I am 34 years into.....

Dano 407

Loc.
The Orange Groves
I made my own taller shock hoops and run 9000's on the front. I have a (early) Hellwig sway bar on the front as well.

It drives down the freeway with no issues at all. No shake, no shimmy, no wobble, no bump steer on 35's.

I have the BC bronco tie rod over inserts with big rod ends, a WH adjustable track bar and 2wd F350 power steering.

It is not rocket surgery, but a lot of little parts put together over time.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
So I am not the only one to take the 5 1/2" coil and lower it 2". I did mine with the 12" radius arm extensions and added a Hellwig front sway bar with disconnects. It drives great on the street and is very flexy.

I followed Steve’s lead and did the taller coil mounts too. I run just under 3” of lift, using 5 1/2” coils. The axle would hit the frame before the coils will bind. 😁

Mark

Attachments

• F98E62D9-4DE9-4653-B123-5DC7BC220660.jpg
    F98E62D9-4DE9-4653-B123-5DC7BC220660.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 64