• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EGR Qestion

bobtail

Loc.
high in the desert
when intake manifolds are talked about having or not having EGR is it the EGR valve that connects to distributor vac advance that is being talked about?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Which manifolds are you referencing?
Explorer EFI intakes can be had with internal or external EGR.
Carbed intakes with EGR have the EGR ports and need an EGR installed (or some sort of block off) or else you will end up with an exhaust leak at the intake manifold. If you have to pass emissions with an EGR equipped engine, you will want the EGR intake manifold. If not, you don't want it.

In general EGR on an EFI engine will run fine. The computer will control when it opens and how much, adjusting for it. But getting a carburetor to work correctly is nearly impossible. Even from the factory they were not that good, and they had a mountain of resources to try and get them right.

What are you trying to accomplish? Looking at aftermarket intakes and see with/without option? Do you have to pass local emissions?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
when intake manifolds are talked about having or not having EGR is it the EGR valve that connects to distributor vac advance that is being talked about?

No its not connected to the distributer. The distributer uses ported vacuum and the egr uses manifold vacuum throught various vacuum control methods.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And FYI, EGR stands for "exhaust gas recirculation" and only Broncos starting in '73 had them.
It's a good thing, but one more thing that people like to remove because it's part of the "dreaded and reviled smog control stuff" and many get tossed into the trash.

So if your Bronco did not have one, then you would use the manifold for use "without EGR" for best results.
If your engine is equipped with one (I don't have a picture, but it's a disc-shaped thingy just behind the carburetor on later model engines) and you want it to be able to pass local smog inspections, or open it up to a wider audience for sale, then you would use the EGR-specific intake manifold.

Paul

Steve66

Loc.
Monument
Hi - I'm in the process of deciding whether or not to remove the smog control stuff from a 302 I picked from a Crown Vic, any idea how much HP is lost to it?
thanks -

PS - sorry, don't intend to change the thread here and yes I'm a blog-rookie

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No loss in HP (EGR is closed at full throttle), but you can loose about ½MPG. Nothing wrong with a good computer controlled EGR, its the crappy tuning of the carbed applications that gave them a bad reputation.