• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

JaxLax builds a Family LUBR

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Congrats, looks like your hunt was worth the wait. Looking forward to seeing your progress, enjoy!

BajaFresh75

Bronco Guru
Congrats! What's the color code? The dash looks a lot lighter. Maybe it's the lighting because it looks original.

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Congrats! What's the color code? The dash looks a lot lighter. Maybe it's the lighting because it looks original.

Color code Z (Copper Metallic)

Interior options (from Marti report):
AU (tan cloth vinyl ranger bucket seats)
Rear Seat
Convience Group
Ranger Package

As far as myself and the former owner could tell it's original exterior except the front fenders we're a color correct respray at some point as they haven't faded the same as all other body pieces. I'd say it's the light that's making the dash look off, but it's always hard to be certain after 40+ years and a few hands. It may have been replaced with a stock dash along the way. I really want to go back to an original radio (whether it's a dummy or a retro sound model).

Let me know if you want some specific pics and I'll get it into the sun and snap a few.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Capped at 2 kids.
Can only squish so many carseats in there.

look into the expedition middle row center seat for the your rear seats. integrated shoulder harness and Latch system.

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
look into the expedition middle row center seat for the your rear seats. integrated shoulder harness and Latch system.

Right now I might be leaning to rebuild the stock one and planning on a KE cage with integrated 3pt belts.
But that might change as we flow forwards, but keeping the stock look might be the deciding factor.
Wherever I go, I'll keep the rear seat and reinstall when I can move on from the car seats.

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Pictures this weekend - but today was a good day

It's rained everyday this week that I had daylight (#FLORIDA) so hopefully I can get some pictures for y'all this weekend.

So far I've added the hood shocks, an ign interrupt (for now, I'll redo the entire ign circuit soon) so I can drive it without popping the hood to turn off the engine, vacuumed half of it, changed out the side markers, got the radio and speakers working, and one bolt away from the rear hatch shocks (one screw is stripped and I had to make a trip to my dads this morning to reclaim my extractors).

So far I've removed at least 4 sets of abandoned brackets and about 100' of abandoned/cut wiring. Once I get the pressure wash done, I'll probably start cutting off the stuff underneath that's not supposed to be there. AKA the anti-roll bar? Brackets for flat towing? Light mounts?

Hopefully this weekend: finish the rear hatch shocks, add some 90 deg bends to the exhaust to send it out the sides behind the wheels, replace the hatch lever and lock, swap out ign/door locks for new matching set, finish vacuuming, and then give her a good pressure washing and post up pics of her as gussied up as possible.

But TODAY IS A GOOD DAY as I drove her to work without issue or hiccup. First starter hit turn over, smooth ride, and a smell free cabin (with rear window closed). Once I get the lockset in I might feel comfortable driving her a few more places.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
But TODAY IS A GOOD DAY as I drove her to work without issue or hiccup. First starter hit turn over, smooth ride, and a smell free cabin (with rear window closed). Once I get the lockset in I might feel comfortable driving her a few more places.

Nice... :)

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Figured I'd bounce this back up

I KNOW. PICTURES ARE COMING.
Get ready for my hilarious floor mat/hot metal solution.
But it rained again and I had a tournament to play in last weekend.

Got a bunch of small things off the list, but now the radio jumps in and out under acceleration %) Gotta trace the power and grounds out again. Got all the fluids changed out/bled/flushed except for the rear diff [need to drop member and add a drain and fill plugs]. Gonna clean and fill some small rust holes after hitting them with rust prevention paint. Trying to seal up the cabin a little better.

I got most of the water leaks fixed. But after finishing these, I keep finding pin holes so it's still a chase. I stop the river, but a stream evolves, and now a slow drip is left [one leak appears to be the OUTSIDE of the fresh air box and another on the passenger side way up on top of the fresh air vent.

So I've moved to the next issue with the steering box. Which is hopefully going to be a quick and easy fix.

Then it's to cutting and turning the exhaust from rear exits to behind the wheel so I can keep the rear hatch open without trapping/cycling fumes.

Hopefully after that the work will be done and I can just drive for a while [as these are the things that matter to me]. I do still have the heater box and ARA A/C unit to rebuild and other things like that, but those don't really matter to me or my driving since I only go 5 minutes in and out to work most days so when winter gets here; the heater won't even have time to get going and I won't need A/C to blow until April or so. ;D

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
You said something about cutting off an anti roll bar underneath. That may be a factory sway bar. Is it on the front axel? Dont destroy it. Someone may want it. Like me. Lol.

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
You said something about cutting off an anti roll bar underneath. That may be a factory sway bar. Is it on the front axel? Dont destroy it. Someone may want it. Like me. Lol.

Oh I left the factory bar.
It’s still sitting in my garage and I’ll grab a few pics and add them tonight, but this was a 50” piece of coil rod with two L brackets snugged under the axle/pumpkin as if it were a skid/rock protector.

The previous owner and I stared at it for a while and couldn’t make heads or tails of it.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Sounds like an old school axel truss. Places like go rhino and conferr use to make them. Did it go from wheel to wheel or front to back? Post a pic of it installed if you have one. We like to see po creations. Lol

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Sounds like an old school axel truss. Places like go rhino and conferr use to make them. Did it go from wheel to wheel or front to back? Post a pic of it installed if you have one. We like to see po creations. Lol

I mean, I think that's what they were going for.
Enjoy the fun below.

But the 'brackets' are essentially hangers that the cut one side of the loop out of, slid them over the axle tube, then did another in the other direction (essentially creating a clamp), then ran the coil rod through a shared hole, bent it at the edge of the pumpkin and drunk monkey welded the L's under the middle.

I blasted the bolts and such, but eventually just got tired of trying to remove the bolts/mud/rust/etc from the threads and sawzall'd both ends near the brackets and let it all fall to the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 165
OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL

Look sweet!
But the cheapest on eBay seems to be around $300 per seat! How much/how often do you seem them in the boneyards/strippers?

If I'm already adding a KE cage with 3pt belts, I don't need the integrated parts...

I feel I might be better off just beefing up the stock seat bracketry and base and using the 3pts; rather than going through the swap and then removal/sale when the kids are out of the seats.

Plus I wouldn't be putting my youngest in until she's at least facing forwards; so I've got at least a year til then.

How hard would it be to take something like the WH fold & tumble rear and add some "integrated" latches for the seats? I'd need a piece going across the rear of the fold point and some appropriate sized metal loops/bends? Doesn't seem overly complicated or am I fooling myself? Maybe a hinge to have them lay flattish when the seat is folder forwards?

Part of this is that I will eventually have a stock rear seat back there (95% sure) and I'm trying to not add too many floor penetrations or things to sell or time consumers for something that won't be permanent. :p

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Subscribed to your thread, great looking project. Looks like a twin to my 74.

Yup!
Yours is pretty much where I want to get to aesthetically in the end.

There will be some subtle differences and changes, but I'm shooting to keep it as stock looking to the uninitiated as possible.

Mcl

Please keep us updated if you find a solution for the built in car seat latches. This is something I am looking for as well. It seems like a no-brainer for vendors to add this.

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Please keep us updated if you find a solution for the built in car seat latches. This is something I am looking for as well. It seems like a no-brainer for vendors to add this.

Essentially something like this patent.

round stock with the bent wires through the seats and one parallel to the floor out the rear (for the secondary strap/latch that would need to be unhooked to fold and tumble). either flat stock across the bottom of the existing seat frame. And some more plate or wide stock with the correct notch for the round stock piece.

In a lot of ways, this seems pretty simple. I'll draw it up over lunch. The trick is getting it made and made correctly. And, well, hell, if I get this made I'd probably just stay with the original seat and just have the latch frame added. I'd go ahead and some more beef/support to the original seat though since I'm already doing all this effort. ;D