• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

JaxLax builds a Family LUBR

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Figured I'd kick this back up.

Like Lonesouth; I'm kind of done.
I've got a new windshield seal and replacement chrome to put on, but after that, I'm just going to drive.
If something breaks; I'll fix it. But it seems like every little thing that I want to fix will snowball off the rails of the trajectory. She has some quirks and things I'd like to change, but I can't trust myself to ONLY CHANGE THOSE THINGS right now.

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Not too much happening, but I was tired of a lingering smell of exhaust when sitting at lights/slow traffic. So, I spent yesterday afternoon finding leaks.

If you’ve never done it; I’d advise it if you have a smell.
In short: get the exhaust cool, hook up a shop vac on blow and seal it on the tail pipe, then start spraying every inch of pipe with soapy water. Where you see blow out or bubbles, well, you’ve got a leak.

I had a bunch of pin holes and I guess it’d bent and rebent and bounced around so long I had a few seams that were no longer sealed.

So after the boy won his soccer game 7-1 (he had 2 goals and 2 assists), we went to the parts store. Grabbed some jb weld max heat and exhaust wrap.

Sand down the pipe to clean and remove rust, then some parts cleaner and a towel to make sure it’s ready. Reinstall the shop vac on suck (listen for the whistle) and started patching the holes with the jb weld (hoping the pressure also pulls it in a little). Nice to hear the air pulling and then eventually quiet once the hole is sealed. By the time I finished both sides it’s been around 90 minutes so I then double back and the first stuff was mostly dry; so I went ahead and installed the exhaust tape over the jb and holes because it was $10 for 6’ and why not make sure?

A quick 10 minute idle to heat up the tape and then shut her down for the night.
But it was SO MUCH QUIETER. I mean, I had 5 leaks on each side. Hopefully I’ll be able to go rear hatch open now as the fall weather starts to roll in.

I’ll snag some photos if y’all cared but they’re gonna be super boring.

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Got 2 projects on the horizon:

New windshield seal and replacement trim pieces.
Power window kit to install.

Going to get some felts/anti-rattle etc for the windows once I sell some other parts.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Get it done brother... list seems to be never ending right

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Get it done brother... list seems to be never ending right

Well, the windshield seal leaks when it rains sideways and the boy bent the trim so far it won't go back in. %) So this is just getting it back to normal.

The window kit is the drivers can barely crank and the boy has (again) popped a few cranks on his side; so I'd like to go to switches and new felts.

These are the last things I can do that are 'major'. I keep saying that and things keep breaking. Oh well, it's what happens when you daily a classic.

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Did stuff today with the boy.
Ended up putting on the new windshield seal and replaced the damaged/missing bright work (thanks broncobilly72!).
Took about 4 hours with a 5 year old doing the majority of the work.

Looks so much better now and no more leaks.
Also replaced the wiper blades because the others were starting to tear.

Attachments

• FE264E31-B8AC-4544-A809-A670CC1F38CE.jpg
    FE264E31-B8AC-4544-A809-A670CC1F38CE.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 111
  • 0642885F-D75A-49B8-AEB2-B24F6BEA56B5.jpg
    0642885F-D75A-49B8-AEB2-B24F6BEA56B5.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 101
  • D1862B34-9DB0-434A-8FE1-7E82D0462EB4.jpg
    D1862B34-9DB0-434A-8FE1-7E82D0462EB4.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 0BE374AD-2C49-4FDB-BE33-1C4ADCF4E9BC.jpg
    0BE374AD-2C49-4FDB-BE33-1C4ADCF4E9BC.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 833CFDC8-17AB-4F8A-9F52-43AF93350170.jpg
    833CFDC8-17AB-4F8A-9F52-43AF93350170.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 113

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Good luck with that dude, speaking of, I really want to do hydroboost this winter...you know, right after the trans swap - which will coincide with SECURELY installing carpet - weatherstripping, overflow bottle, insulating the top, heat riser tubes (don't even know if I have defrost ducts %))

.....so maybe next winter ;)

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Good luck with that dude, speaking of, I really want to do hydroboost this winter...you know, right after the trans swap - which will coincide with SECURELY installing carpet - weatherstripping, overflow bottle, insulating the top, heat riser tubes (don't even know if I have defrost ducts %))

.....so maybe next winter ;)

I've had a power window kit since October. Got the power block I needed for Christmas (3 circuits for A/C, radio, and windows/tach), but I did NOT get any new felts.

I don't want to bother pulling everything out and installing new stuff with the current three quarter missing felts and such.

It'll have to be my next gift of some kind, but I don't need my windows in winter...except I live in Florida and it's already back to upper 60 days...

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Resurrection!

Got a new job starting the new year, so she needs some more DD upgrades. Adding 15-20 minutes to the commute and touching the highway now; so some lingering issues just need to be solved.

Have had a slow leak in the power steering box since purchase and the pump squeals like a preteen at a One Direction concert; so I'm replacing the entire power steering system (pump, box, hoses, etc) with a new kit from Toms.

Exhaust has holes everywhere and I've attempted to fill/cover/plug them all, but there's still one in the drivers manifold and then others that just can't seem to be plugged. Due to this I generally had to drive with the windows down to keep blowing the exhaust out, but if I'm going to sit in a some traffic I can't smell like fumes everyday at the office (especially since I'm stepping into the Lead Mechanical Designer and Office Manager/Lead role). I've had a set of Drake Shorties already so I jumped on the Duff 2-1 exhaust system and will be going with a Flowmaster Super 50 series (almost silent) muffler. Most of the their offerings weren't where I want to be and if you call for part number 333X3060 they'll send over all the parts minus the muffler. I will have to modify the kit slightly as the muffler I chose is 3" longer, but the pipes should allow me to position it under the original heat deflector still.

I'll update here with some pics later or maybe a link to the new threads as I install them and probably run into other problems.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Nice. Congrats on the new job. I know that's a relief

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Have had a slow leak in the power steering box since purchase and the pump squeals like a preteen at a One Direction concert; so I'm replacing the entire power steering system (pump, box, hoses, etc) with a new kit from Toms.

Exhaust has holes everywhere and I've attempted to fill/cover/plug them all, but there's still one in the drivers manifold and then others that just can't seem to be plugged. .

Congrats on the job Boss-man. My pump squeals also, but more like a Lloyd Christmas "most annoying sound in the world" kinda whine, meaning it has matured well past the preteen squeal. But it was to be expected after I slapped 35x12.50's on it with the stock pump a couple years ago.

I've been passively looking for a 'canned-ham' pump for an upgrade, interested to hear how yours works out.

Oh and I have a couple Coors Light can patches on my exhaust, always wanted to try the cheap HF ring compressor, seems like it would work well? I had been holding out on new exhaust, hoping Duff's would have the free shipping Black Friday this year, oh well they're still way cheaper than going with a local shop. ;)

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
I need to re-up on the contributor status, but to quick catch up:

I replaced the entire power steering system and installed the Toms 2-n-1 system.
Photos at some point.

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
I've been passively looking for a 'canned-ham' pump for an upgrade, interested to hear how yours works out.

Oh and I have a couple Coors Light can patches on my exhaust, always wanted to try the cheap HF ring compressor, seems like it would work well? I had been holding out on new exhaust, hoping Duff's would have the free shipping Black Friday this year, oh well they're still way cheaper than going with a local shop. ;)

So far the pump is silent and the box is smooth and soft. Happy with the parts and the outcome; the install didn't go as I wanted, but it's done and in and it's in the past.

The exhaust was a little smoother, but still had some hiccups that Duffs took care of quickly. I'd have no issues recommending the kit if that means anything.

Jaxgtc

…. the install didn't go as I wanted, but it's done and in and it's in the past.

My favorite saying, "its always something!". Working on sprinklers I made 3 trips to HD for fittings. Last trip I pretty much just bought 1 of everything. Drives me crazy to waste an hour for a .50 piece.