• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaf Springs

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
That will ride stiff, and even stiffer when you use an add-a-leaf to lift it.

You would be better off using a lift spring set made as such which many of the Bronco vendors sell.

To save money decide on how much lift you want before you buy.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
For spring and suspension parts, especially any lift components, I would highly recommend going with one of the big Bronco vendors. That’s what they do.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
For spring and suspension parts, especially any lift components, I would highly recommend going with one of the big Bronco vendors. That’s what they do.

X2. Give them a shout and use their knowledge too

NYC Bronco

Is there such a thing as "stock" leaf spring size for a '76? I was looking at Duff today and got the impression that 3.5 is either the smallest or stock. I'm presuming mine are stock as the previous owner's records don't mention an upgrade and I have not upgraded...yet.

Thinking about new leafs springs and shocks over the winter

OP
OP
69broncofun

69broncofun

Bronco Guru

Ok that's what I will do.

Thanks everyone

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Is there such a thing as "stock" leaf spring size for a '76? I was looking at Duff today and got the impression that 3.5 is either the smallest or stock. I'm presuming mine are stock as the previous owner's records don't mention an upgrade and I have not upgraded...yet.

Thinking about new leafs springs and shocks over the winter

yes, WH, Toms and JBG has stock leafs

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Duffs carries leaf springs from 2.5" lift height to 5.5"

If you want to buy stock height from duffs they can place the order and they will be built and dropped shipped from the supplier. Takes about 4 weeks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is "stock height" and then there is "stock" and they are not always the same.
Stock height can be had with multiple design criteria to still fall at the stock original ride height. These could have any number of individual leaves to make up the pack.
A stock spring pack would look and (hopefully!) perform the same as original, with either the 5-leaf or 6-leaf designs. Those would include the lower "overload spring" in those leaf counts. The overload being the bottom leaf, which is usually much thicker and flatter and not in contact with the rest of the pack until a heavier load is added to the truck.

There are some advantages to both, but I think most here would recommend the more modern design which is the 8, 9, or 10-leaf pack with the thinner leaves and a flatter arch for a better street ride. Perhaps losing a little load capacity, but whether that's a bad thing or not would depend on how often you drive it on the street empty vs how often you load it up or tow a trailer with your Bronco.

If you're in a hurry you'd need to go with what's available on the shelf. If you can wait that four weeks though, the Duff springs that Mike mentioned might be the way to go. They might be able to give you exactly what you want within reason. Worth a phone call or discussion here at the very least.

All depends on what you want to end up with. From your first post I would make sure to ask Mike if they have a way to create a 2.5" lift out of their stock height special order springs without too much drama.
If not, or if it's more trouble than it seems to be worth, I'd agree with the others to get a 2.5" pack right off the bat.

Hmm, to that way of thinking... You could purchase a 2.5" spring and remove two or three leaves to get the height lower. Then add them back in when you're ready to lift.
As long as you're not running a heavy rig or towing with it, this could work out well.
An added cost would come from the front springs of course, where you'd be buying stock height springs first, then another set for the 2.5" lift later. Unless you're thinking of keeping with the original springs in there now in the front? If so I would verify they have not sagged.

When you next have a chance. take a tape measure under the truck with your and measure between the top of the axle tubes and the bottom of the frame rails. If you are close to 7" in the front and 6" in the rear, then you're still very close to it's original height.

Good luck!

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Duffs carries leaf springs from 2.5" lift height to 5.5"

If you want to buy stock height from duffs they can place the order and they will be built and dropped shipped from the supplier. Takes about 4 weeks.

And Top Notch as well :)

tirewater

Contributor
Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
If you want stock springs, then order the ones from CJ Pony Parts. They're likely the same 5 leaf springs sold everywhere else. You'll be hard pressed to find them cheaper, especially considering free shipping from CJ.

That said, if you want a 2.5" in the future, you may as well save money and time and buy any of the 2.5" lift kits sold by the Bronco specific vendors.

chuckyb

Contributor
I purchased a stock pair from CJ Pony last Friday thinking that they may be the same manufacturer used by the other vendors. The price was unbeatable. I hope they work well.

OP
OP
69broncofun

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
There is "stock height" and then there is "stock" and they are not always the same.
Stock height can be had with multiple design criteria to still fall at the stock original ride height. These could have any number of individual leaves to make up the pack.
A stock spring pack would look and (hopefully!) perform the same as original, with either the 5-leaf or 6-leaf designs. Those would include the lower "overload spring" in those leaf counts. The overload being the bottom leaf, which is usually much thicker and flatter and not in contact with the rest of the pack until a heavier load is added to the truck.

There are some advantages to both, but I think most here would recommend the more modern design which is the 8, 9, or 10-leaf pack with the thinner leaves and a flatter arch for a better street ride. Perhaps losing a little load capacity, but whether that's a bad thing or not would depend on how often you drive it on the street empty vs how often you load it up or tow a trailer with your Bronco.

If you're in a hurry you'd need to go with what's available on the shelf. If you can wait that four weeks though, the Duff springs that Mike mentioned might be the way to go. They might be able to give you exactly what you want within reason. Worth a phone call or discussion here at the very least.

All depends on what you want to end up with. From your first post I would make sure to ask Mike if they have a way to create a 2.5" lift out of their stock height special order springs without too much drama.
If not, or if it's more trouble than it seems to be worth, I'd agree with the others to get a 2.5" pack right off the bat.

Hmm, to that way of thinking... You could purchase a 2.5" spring and remove two or three leaves to get the height lower. Then add them back in when you're ready to lift.
As long as you're not running a heavy rig or towing with it, this could work out well.
An added cost would come from the front springs of course, where you'd be buying stock height springs first, then another set for the 2.5" lift later. Unless you're thinking of keeping with the original springs in there now in the front? If so I would verify they have not sagged.

When you next have a chance. take a tape measure under the truck with your and measure between the top of the axle tubes and the bottom of the frame rails. If you are close to 7" in the front and 6" in the rear, then you're still very close to it's original height.

Good luck!

Paul

WOW Thanks for the info Paul. I think I am going to just save my money and get the wild horses kit? Still trying to decide if I want to go stock or 2.5 then what tires and wheels. I really need to get to car show or something and see it in person. Thanks everyone for the info. Time to save save save!!

OP
OP
69broncofun

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
I purchased a stock pair from CJ Pony last Friday thinking that they may be the same manufacturer used by the other vendors. The price was unbeatable. I hope they work well.

Yeah I almost pulled the trigger on that one.

chuckyb

Contributor
[69broncofun]Yeah I almost pulled the trigger on that one.

These were backordered and I received them from CJPonythis weekend. They have a JRS stamp on them which seems to be the John R Spring Company Detroit Michigan

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
[69broncofun]Yeah I almost pulled the trigger on that one.

These were backordered and I received them from CJPonythis weekend. They have a JRS stamp on them which seems to be the John R Spring Company Detroit Michigan

Comparable to Deaver...?

disregard, see they are more like stock