• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Plug gas tank

Hemmer

You guys have any ideas of how to plug my tank since I put in an in tank pump?
Thanks!
ff0e22e6fe18fe00b3cc9d0e7128f1da.jpg

08f6a9bdc370611f89bbf0f56a47ebcc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronco4x4

I had some rubber vacuum caps crack at the same spot. I put spares inside the EB just in case. I may go the fuel line route if they crack again.

OP
OP
H

Hemmer

I have had vacuum caps fail when used for liquid. I would not trust them

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Vacuum caps don't age well.

Proper fuel hose and plug that. or if you can flare or some other way of put a metal compression fitting on it.

If the tank is brand new, just weld it up. Pinch and braze.

But before you do any of that, what are you doing for a return line? The low pickup point makes a great return point. Much better then dribbling it back the filler neck. Minimized aeration of the fuel from waterfalling back into the tank.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just how did you install the in-tank pump? One of the new style of modular setups? Be great to see that as well.

Obviously you don't need to plug the two larger ports on the side, but the two smaller ones are good vents and you should still have those working if you can.
Is this in a '70 or older EB with no charcoal canister system? If so that's the perfect chance to add your own modern venting setup.
Or, if you don't want to go down that road anyway, like someone said you can just loop some hose.

For the original rear feed, if this is a custom in-tank pump maybe you could just connect the new output from the pump to the old feed line?
If that's not an option, then epoxy, one of the fancy caps linked to, or the old stand-by setup of a rubber fuel line with a plug in one end (aka a bolt) would do the trick, just like was mentioned.

Good luck. Let us know what pump setup you're using. We'd all be very interested I think.

Thanks

Paul