• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco mudder/crawler

SteveC

Loc.
Tuscaloosa AL
I'm kicking around an idea for a winter project. I really want to build a mudding/joy riding vehicle. Something we can take for a ride and hose off at the end of the day. All that's really important I guess is it has to wear a glass bronco body, Ford running gear, road legal (basics only). Built along the lines of a crawler type vehicle. My biggest question is where to begin, bronco frame or custom type tubing frame. Aftermarket Bronco frames are available but I haven't been able to locate a tube frame (which I think I would prefer) that I thought looked like what I want. Anyone have any guidance or suggestions?

Thanks!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What is the suspension plans? IF you are looking at 3-4 link at both ends, just make your own chassis. But if you are looking at a more stock suspension (radius arms, leaf springs) then find a good used frame.

The used frame has the benefit of having a title that comes with it, generally making it easier to get titled and registered. Local laws play into this. What can be done in another state will be different then where you are at. Custom frame (bought or built) + aftermarket glass body = kit car type registration and state assigned VIN.

Cooper

Loc.
Northeast
Find one already set up, hand over the $$, done :)

Yeah, but where's the fun in that ?
No broken tools, no buying parts 2x, no angry neighbors, no bloody knuckles ...
Hmm... never mind, I'm beginning to see your point %)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Yeah, but where's the fun in that ?
No broken tools, no buying parts 2x, no angry neighbors, no bloody knuckles ...
Hmm... never mind, I'm beginning to see your point %)

LOL, but then there is the building it factor.. I sold a 71 mostly street rig to fund getting a rig set up already for crawling.. really wish I could've hung on to it, but I enjoy being capable and doing mostly what I want off road..

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
You are indeed money and time ahead finding something that is already well-built. So if you want to get out there on the trails soon, follow Dave's advice and buy something.

But if you have time and money and are in no hurry to get on the trails, then it is fun to build. As broncobowsher points out, the chassis depends on what you want from it. If you are building something, after you come up with your budget and timeline, you might as well double both figures. I don't know any hobbyist who's gotten a huge project like that done within the initial budget and timeline.