• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Early Bronco Center Console

sandman23

Just purchased a '73 Bronco and looking to install a center console with radio. The seats are fairly low, so the Tuffy may be too tall versus a Smittybilt. Does anyone have any thoughts on both and which is a better solution? Thanks

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
The Smittybilt is also a bit too tall. You have to add a riser bracket that you make to get it to fit over the seatbelts. I am fine with my Smittybuilt for the cost and you can toss the cheep cup holders and install aftermarket Tuffy ones in the front and rear of the Smittybilt with no modifications.

jbchurchill

I have the Tuffy console. It is very tight with my seats (corbeau baja bucket seats, circa 2010). I like the height as it makes a good arm rest and the cup holders fit even with the transmission.

Stereo failed about two years ago and now I am putting in a bluetooth bazooka party bar. No stereo for me now. I use my phone anyways as the source :)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Tuffy with stock seats here. Perfect height for my arm anyway.

Paul

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Might as well throw the Lock & Load in the mix
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Lock-And-Load-Security-Console-8in/Bronco_Storage
All of these consoles are relatively close to the same height. The quality of the Lock & Load and Tuffy (both USA made) are far superior to the import, in this case the Smitty. We stock them all and have rigs at the shop running them. My personal choice is the Lock & Load. I like the compartments and lock set up. Good luck with the project.

Jim

Attachments

• 16676_11897_popup.jpg
    16676_11897_popup.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 76

laserfish

Have a 73 and a Tuffy. Have had it installed since 03 and never had a problem (except when I lost the key). They make it intentionally difficult to get a new one, which I did not mind. Perfect height for me and would present a formidable obstacle to anyone trying to break in to it. A buddy has one as well. Left his radio in the dash and put a plate over the radio hole in the console and filled it with his switches. Looks cool and is really functional.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have a 73 and a Tuffy. Have had it installed since 03 and never had a problem (except when I lost the key). They make it intentionally difficult to get a new one, which I did not mind.

I have a old Tuffy Deluxe 8in Stereo Console in my 74. Big black void as Jim calls it, lol. I once "lost" my keys and
of course the console was locked. After I found my misplaced keys, I went ahead and ordered a spin dial
combo lock. I had to shim it with a couple of big washers to make it work. So much more convenient than using a key.

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
Might as well throw the Lock & Load in the mix
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Lock-And-Load-Security-Console-8in/Bronco_Storage
All of these consoles are relatively close to the same height. The quality of the Lock & Load and Tuffy (both USA made) are far superior to the import, in this case the Smitty. We stock them all and have rigs at the shop running them. My personal choice is the Lock & Load. I like the compartments and lock set up. Good luck with the project.

Jim

That's the one. I couldn't use the front cup holders because of my "custom" parking brake, no big deal, I use the rear ones. Combo lock is a must.

Attachments

• 20180818_140613.jpg
    20180818_140613.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 121