• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Jimmy's Build Thread

OP
OP
jimmyk

jimmyk

Contributor
Got a little more done over the weekend. I finally got all of the liquid nails out of the bed using a wire wheel on a grinder. The PO used this to cover up a little rust and hold down some indoor-outdoor carpet. All major body panels installed, engine bay has been sanded and almost ready for primer. A few more spots to address and it will be ready to apply urethane primer and fit body parts. I want to put in a fuel door instead of the traditional gas cap, but we'll see if I can locate a donor vehicle to butcher up.

Thanks to Deano and Crush for stopping in and giving some pointers!

Attachments

• Engine Bay.jpeg
    Engine Bay.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Engine Bay 2.jpeg
    Engine Bay 2.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Driver Side 2.jpeg
    Driver Side 2.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Pass Side 2.jpeg
    Pass Side 2.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
jimmyk

jimmyk

Contributor
Well, still plugging away on it. Lots of sanding and a few cancer spots patched. I have most of the frame sanded and plan on using POR-15 on the frame. Most of the underside has been stripped via wire wheel/cup and I will primer and use rubberized undercoating.

The hardtop was a PITA to get the paint of.....I believe it was latex house paint. I will do the underside of it this weekend and finish any remaining repairs, weld on the new radiator brackets that I made and hopefully finish the frame and underside of the body.

I'm still uncertain on the tire size and lift. It has 4" block lift on the back, not sure if the springs on the front are original or "lifted". Originally I planned on a new 3.5" WH or TB lift with 33x10.50x15's but am concerned with rubbing. I will likely set the drivetrain in and see how much the front squats and remove one of the 2" blocks and see how it sits with the 31's that are on it now before making a decision.

Still have the doors, tailgate, small dent in hood and grille to deal with before mocking it up. Right now the plan is to put it in paint over memorial day weekend, but we'll see.

Attachments

• Wheels .jpeg
    Wheels .jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Wheel 1.jpeg
    Wheel 1.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Hard Top 2.jpeg
    Hard Top 2.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Hard Top 1.jpeg
    Hard Top 1.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 44

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Good to see you fixed that rocker gap. Deadlines are tough on a project and good to see the locals helping out and poking you with a stick. It takes 3 times as long to do it by yourself and have of that is time wasted get up from in front of the TV. Looking good.

OP
OP
jimmyk

jimmyk

Contributor
I haven't gotten to the rocker gap, but it's on the list for this weekend. Deano and Crush have been great to run ideas by and keep me on the right track. I hope to get a lot accomplished over the weekend, but kids sports are slowing me down a little right now. Im taking a couple days of work to make it a 4 day weekend though, so I'm optimistic.

OP
OP
jimmyk

jimmyk

Contributor
Well, as it usually goes, I didn't get quite as much done over the weekend as I had hoped, but a little progress is still progress. The undercoating is complete.... I used an assortment of wire wheels and cups to clean the underside, then clean, primer and duplicolor rubberized and paintable undercoating. I have been using a sander with 60 grit and a 40 grit flap disc on the grinder on the frame and have it 80% ready for POR-15, which is my goal for Friday.

The tub, inner fenders, radiator support are complete and my buddy has started on the doors. Once they are done, we will put them on along with the fenders and grill, then knock a couple small dents out of the hood and go through the process of lining everything up.

The firewall and engine bay has been primed and new E-brake brackets welded in place. Hopefully 3 full days and it will be ready to paint, except for the hardtop, that will probably be one more day.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 5.png
    5.png
    232.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 24

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Lookin good! Keep at it and you will get there. Looks like a really solid truck that you are working with. That helps ALOT! ;D

OP
OP
jimmyk

jimmyk

Contributor
It had some issues, but nothing too serious. It came from Alabama which contributed to the condition. Im certainly looking forward to finishing the body work and getting it in paint.

OP
OP
jimmyk

jimmyk

Contributor
Frame is finally done, did 2 coats of POR-15. Tub is 90% complete, after some discusses with Deano and Crush, I ordered a 77 gas lid and a gas neck/hose for a 2012 F-150 that will be installed.

The grill is done, front fenders are ready (new), doors are about 85% and tailgate, hood and top are all that's left. Im anxious to get it in paint, but it will be a few weeks due to work conflicts.

Attachments

• IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_0919.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0922.jpg
    IMG_0922.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0926.jpg
    IMG_0926.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0927.jpg
    IMG_0927.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 26

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Frame is finally done, did 2 coats of POR-15. Tub is 90% complete, after some discusses with Deano and Crush, I ordered a 77 gas lid and a gas neck/hose for a 2012 F-150 that will be installed.

The grill is done, front fenders are ready (new), doors are about 85% and tailgate, hood and top are all that's left. Im anxious to get it in paint, but it will be a few weeks due to work conflicts.

Are you doing gas doors?

OP
OP
jimmyk

jimmyk

Contributor
Pass door is finished and hung, but not adjusted for fitment yet. Grill is done. Next will be driver door and tailgate so we can start fitment for paint. Hopefully this month it will be in Hot Ginger.....

Attachments

• Pass Door Hung.jpg
    Pass Door Hung.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Finished Grill.jpg
    Finished Grill.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
jimmyk

jimmyk

Contributor
It will be a 77 door, just the capless filler once you flip it open. One of the things that takes up more time and delays the paint, but I will be glad that I did it.

OP
OP
jimmyk

jimmyk

Contributor
Thanks! Its a lengthy process for sure with a lot of learning curves for me.