• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The Solution to the WEAKEST Link in Your Dana 20

mitch@wildhorses

Sponsor/Vendor
Loc.
Lodi, CA
Has anyone ever broken an Output Shaft on the trail? It's just one of those feelings that really doesn't feel too good. Over the years, we had destroyed plenty of output shafts up until the point that we got tired of replacing them.

Thus was born the Extreme Dana 20 Output System. It's a heavy-duty upgrade for your Dana 20 Transfer Case that saves you from the stress of having an on-trail breakage.

If BEEFY Bronco parts are something that tickle your fancy, check out this video to see how to beef up your drivetrain!

[youtube]O4q-dH4CXg0&t=2s[/youtube]

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Last time I looked at this I was slightly confused that the assembled unit was going to be three quarters of an inch longer than the unit that you assemble yourself. And 3/4 of an inch could make quite a difference and I didn't really understand why they were different. Maybe Mitchell chime in here and explain that this is something I definitely want to do because I realize it's probably one of the last weak links in my system.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Its 3/4" longer because there's no way to make it the stock length...its a totally redesigned MUCH heavier duty output shaft.

Great video Mitch

Next step up in strength is go to a NP205..

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Its 3/4" longer because there's no way to make it the stock length...its a totally redesigned MUCH heavier duty output shaft.

The one that comes as a bare shaft is 3/4 inch longer.

The one that comes as an assembly is 1.3 inch longer.

What we are puzzled by is why there is a difference between those.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
I run the #8272 that is 3/4" longer. What I found out is with my 2-1/2" suspension lift, the rear driveshaft gets stretched a little. That 3/4" longer output shaft put me back to a stock length driveshaft.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I run the #8272 that is 3/4" longer. What I found out is with my 2-1/2" suspension lift, the rear driveshaft gets stretched a little. That 3/4" longer output shaft put me back to a stock length driveshaft.

I remember considering that reality....but I got an expensive Tom Woods Rock crawler drive shaft. I am afraid I may need to shorten it....groans, kicks rocks...lol

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I remember considering that reality....but I got an expensive Tom Woods Rock crawler drive shaft. I am afraid I may need to shorten it....groans, kicks rocks...lol

You should be able to find a local shop that can shorten what you have pretty inexpensively. Shorter is cheap, your parts and a few minutes labor. Flinging out that expensive shaft and everything it will destroy on its way, crazy expensive.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware

You should be able to find a local shop that can shorten what you have pretty inexpensively. Shorter is cheap, your parts and a few minutes labor. Flinging out that expensive shaft and everything it will destroy on its way, crazy expensive.

Yup, I went about the hard way.

I finished my build and had a vibration at about 35 mph. Found the slip joint worn on the stock rear driveshaft and replaced it with the 34.5" WH/Tom Woods shaft that fit great with the 2-1/2" suspension lift.

Then I blew a set of ring gear bolts off the 9" rear and got caught up in the "while I'm in here I might as well....."

So then it started, Yukon center section, Yukon gears, ARB, 31 spline axles and the WH #8272 output shaft. I go to install my 34.5" rear driveshaft and it did not have enough travel during compression. OK, back to the 33.5" (stock length) WH/ tom Woods shaft and now what to do with the 34.5" shaft. Shorten it? Sell it?

Since the front shaft was still stock and maybe original I did what Yeller said and had shortened locally, so now I have good front shaft also.;D
I also think the Dayton pinion support and yoke on the new third member make that assembly a little longer also.

OP
OP
mitch@wildhorses

mitch@wildhorses

Sponsor/Vendor
Loc.
Lodi, CA
The one that comes as a bare shaft is 3/4 inch longer.

The one that comes as an assembly is 1.3 inch longer.

What we are puzzled by is why there is a difference between those.

Sorry for taking so long to reply to this guys.

So both the non-assembled shaft (#8272) and the shaft in the assembled system(#8280) are longer that stock because they needed to be in order to add a beefier diameter.

The reason the shaft in the #8280 is longer than the shaft in the #8272 is because the housings are different.

The assembled kit uses a brand new setup (housing and all) whereas the non-assembled unit reuses your old housing. With the non-assembled kit, you are taking everything out of your old housing and replacing it with the stuff that comes in the #8272 kit. This is why we recommend the assembled kit if you are looking for an easier project. Hope that answered the questions!