• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering Column/box

Rocko1012

Had manual steering on bronco. Swapping to power steering. Mounted powersteering box. Can I re=use my current 3 on tree column. What intermediate shaft do I need? Going to floor shift, column needs rebuilding.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
yes you can reuse your column, i'd cut it down and put a slip shaft in it for safety.
you can piece together your own from any of the manufactures like flaming river, borgeson or just order one up from one of the vendors.
you will just cut your shaft down a few inches below the column body and grind it into a 3/4" double D shaft to accomadate the upper joint and the rest is bolt on.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Yes you can use your original column. Pretty easy rebuild and you can do some easy mods since you won't be using the shifting components in the column. I really recommend the Wildhorses Steering shaft. It is a very nice piece and easy to install. And it looks stellar. I have a post on here somewhere for cleaning up the steering column. Ken

OP
OP
R

Rocko1012

shaft

did you replace the inner shaft of steering column? I was considering putting new bearings, and just changing out the bottom steering coupler to box. it appears the bottom portion of my 77 is collapsible.

BigB

did you replace the inner shaft of steering column? I was considering putting new bearings, and just changing out the bottom steering coupler to box. it appears the bottom portion of my 77 is collapsible.

If you were asking me, then no I did not replace the steering shaft. Can't say I've seen many people need or want to do that.

If you click on my screen name you can look at all the "Threads started by" and there a couple of different ones surrounding my column work.

OP
OP
R

Rocko1012

77 column, replaced upper bearing and changed out lower to complete unit that I welded in place. What stops the steering shaft from coming back up through tub. Has a C clamp and snap ring on top. nothing on bottom.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Not sure about a 77 but my 72 has a clamp that attaches to the steering shaft just below the lower bearing. Keeps the shaft from going back up the column. If you look closely on the pics of bronkenn column mounted in the saddle you can see that black clamp. The bolt is on the bottom of the shaft so it is kinda hard to see.