• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Crate Engine and Transmission?

fuentesfranko

I am thinking of scrapping the tired 170ci 6 Cyl engine in my '66 Bronco and going with a V8.
From what I understand, it's highly recommended to get also a new transmission

I am looking at this ATK 302 Engine and C4 Transmission Kit from Jeggs
https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK-Engines/059/HP99FPAK/10002/-1

I want to make life easier for me and I am wondering if this Engine and Transmission package looks good to you guys, if it's a good fit and upgrade to my '66 Bronco and if it's a good way to spend almost $6,000 :-X. I'd rather buy something with warranty than going to a yard to get components.
Looking for a daily driver, not concerned about having 350hp, just something reliable.

I'd appreciate any input on this.

28wm7ux.jpg

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
THE problem is that the motor perches are different as well, some cutting and welding going on there...as well as it is a 2whl drive
transmission

Orig93gt

That trans is probably more than half of that package price. I would look into an nv3550 package and add the crate motor to that. Or at least get a 4x4 automatic. In order to adapt that auto trans to a transfer case you would need to tear it down and change the output shaft, probably nullifying any warranty.

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
You can source the engine directly from ATK for less. I assume you have a three on the tree, so that C4 won't drop right in. You'll need the intermediate housing adaptor. I did the same swap, bought the engine from ATK and Craigslisted the C4 and necessary accoutrements. You'll need things like throttle linkage, drop down lever, shifter/linkage, neutral/reverse switch, etc. You'll also have to move the motor mounts on the frame, forward if i remember correctly. It isn't a simple swap, but if I can do it in my garage, anyone can.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Ready to rebuild a brand new transmission? because that is what you will have to do in order to get the right output shaft installed.

In short, that is a bad package deal for a Bronco.

The distributor for the engine is also not a great choice. Rubs the hood without a body lift. and Very limiting on what air filter will fit.
Not to mention the mountain of little parts that are not there.

Go buy a 4WD/AWD 5.0 Explorer and get the engine and trans out of that. With the I6 gearing the OD will work nice (unless you are putting tall tires on)

OP
OP
F

fuentesfranko

Ready to rebuild a brand new transmission? because that is what you will have to do in order to get the right output shaft installed.

In short, that is a bad package deal for a Bronco.

The distributor for the engine is also not a great choice. Rubs the hood without a body lift. and Very limiting on what air filter will fit.
Not to mention the mountain of little parts that are not there.

Go buy a 4WD/AWD 5.0 Explorer and get the engine and trans out of that. With the I6 gearing the OD will work nice (unless you are putting tall tires on)

Thanks for the suggestion. Any specific year of Explorer you recommend?

Orig93gt

The heads on the 96 and 97 will work with typical bronco headers. The 98 - 01 will require a set from bc Broncos.

Vincen

Unless somethinghas changed with the BC Broncos headers, they WILL NOT fit a 98-01 Explorer 5.0. The Bronco Hut headers on the other hand, are designed to fit the GT40P heads.

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
If I had it to do over, I would try the Explorer swap and it is probably easier to find one of those than it is to find first gen Bronco parts. Especially in your area. If you were closer to VA that might be a different story.

OP
OP
F

fuentesfranko

If I had it to do over, I would try the Explorer swap and it is probably easier to find one of those than it is to find first gen Bronco parts. Especially in your area. If you were closer to VA that might be a different story.

I think I'm gonna look into an Explorer swap. I've found a few explorers around here but they're mostly 200,000 miles and up! :-[