• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

69 steering column upper bearing retainer

BigB

Hi guys

Not sure how this is all meant to go together. Thought I would remember duh! Plus think I’m missing some parts.

The cream wedge I pulled from the lower bearing as not using that as changed to later style when I shortened my column.

I also took that curved washer from lower and assume it goes where I have it?

In my photos I don’t have the washer installed under turn signal cam.

08bb0de5f377d17f1cec954b0429e42e.jpg
6d578e0526e62e686c15da0cbfb6f2f0.jpg
99c3aadb540a70c5165b5b3e27aaeb73.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

BigB

Looking at the photo of the washer I'm now thinking that I have it upside down?

I'm unsure of how to set the correct height of the steering shaft so the horn works properly. I know the later years have the snap rings to hold the bearing which gives you the correct height.

OP
OP
B

BigB

And is this clamp that goes on the steering shaft in engine bay the only thing that prevents steering shaft from pulling out towards driver?

Mine was pushed down the shaft and I imagine the only reason the shaft never pulled out was due to the one piece shaft being connected to the steering box.
ee92f5c55afdf485dd808b8b23d3d820.jpg

OP
OP
B

BigB

I also seem to be missing the spring but not sure if this is required if you no longer have the 3 on the tree?

Mine was changed to floor shift.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Upper column, you have the bearing in correctly. The little plastic piece that fits inside the bearing is only used at the bottom of the column. At the upper, this is a metal piece that the spring rides on. You don't used the curved washer at all at the top. Top is bearing, metal spacer, spring, steering wheel.

The clamp at the bottom is what prevents the steering shaft from pulling up the column. The 76/77 column was a different design that didn't use the clamp. If you upgraded to a different style at the bottom, what year? 66-75 use the clamp, 76/77 don't.

This photo is close, but I know there's a Bronco specific one out there somewhere.

Attachments

• 3speedcolum.jpg
    3speedcolum.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
B

BigB

Upper column, you have the bearing in correctly. The little plastic piece that fits inside the bearing is only used at the bottom of the column. At the upper, this is a metal piece that the spring rides on. You don't used the curved washer at all at the top. Top is bearing, metal spacer, spring, steering wheel.

The clamp at the bottom is what prevents the steering shaft from pulling up the column. The 76/77 column was a different design that didn't use the clamp. If you upgraded to a different style at the bottom, what year? 66-75 use the clamp, 76/77 don't.

This photo is close, but I know there's a Bronco specific one out there somewhere.

Thanks for info!

Would be great to see an actual photo of the metal spacer. Does it also wedge into the bearing to hold/center the shaft, like the plastic one?

I have searched but only come across the same exploded diagram you posted.

The lower bearing I have used is this one.

https://www.bluetopsteering.com/apps/webstore/products/show/7669789

In those photo's it doesn't show anything on the shaft preventing it from sliding up, though it's going to be a tight fit to get the shaft into bearing.

I am using a WH collapsible lower steering shaft to join to a 4x4x2 box so need some way to keep the shaft in place.

OP
OP
B

BigB

From my research it seems this is now used for the top and bottom of the steering shaft to align it inside the bearing, as I can't find anyone selling the top one in metal.

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Bearing_sleeve_6673yr/Bronco_Stock_Column_Parts

What say you guru's???

Still need to know a measurement to set the amount of shaft coming out the top of the column. As that bearing sleeve locks into the bearing but if not in correct position the horn and signals cam won't operate.

Thanks!

OP
OP
B

BigB

So I did some more looking through parts and found the little bag which contained all the parts I need ;D

I have the metal bearing sleeve.

Is it supposed to be "split"? My lower Nylon sleeve also has a split but was unsure if this was just due to old age?

I can see that the Nylon replacements would do the same job as the metal sleeve.

I plan on getting an aftermarket steering wheel. Would the height I need to set the shaft for the stock wheel be the same once you add an aftermarket adapter?

broncochevy

Loc.
Orcutt, CA
I think there may not be a "set length" or at not one I can provide you cause mine is apart now. I believe there is a preload on the shaft with wheel installed. My shaft had a slight wear mark where the clamp you posted was on it if that helps.

OP
OP
B

BigB

I think there may not be a "set length" or at not one I can provide you cause mine is apart now. I believe there is a preload on the shaft with wheel installed. My shaft had a slight wear mark where the clamp you posted was on it if that helps.

I think you are right, at least that's how it seems to me.

I just got my new steering wheel and adapter installed. It has a column cover that can move up and down to any position you need. With that out of the way I can see whats going on better.

Though I'm not sure just how far the horn contacts should be compressed, I guess the further they are compressed the more tension they will put on the copper disc so it could lead to wear grooves.

I actually had the shaft pulled up quite a bit and installed the adapter and wheel first. Then moved the bearing retainer up and down to get it positioned correctly.

It still needs to go down maybe a 1/4" and then the clamp on the shaft in engine bay needs to be tightened as someone holds the wheel in correct position.

OP
OP
B

BigB

Here you can see the horn contacts just before they start touching
497bb1a39cab4389b0ea2874e3d03bd6.jpg

OP
OP
B

BigB

Here is the GT Performance Hub adapter. It’s well made billet ally. You can see the column cover, which has 2 set screws to position it.
5bb9ab1dfcf655d6d679ff7912c0676f.jpg

OP
OP
B

BigB

I used a Grant wheel and the horn and horn adapter is from GT Performance. The horn holds on with pressure via an o ring.

Can’t say enough on the quality of the GT Performance adapters.
263b5cc5cbbf9ab4023570dbe4c039a0.jpg
9afb45692c0cbbe6ece0b26abbdbddae.jpg
9db6962881bdefffe1c609eb3c6e5a84.jpg
b814bb1b9e48481596c788eef9fe65ba.jpg

Makes the rest of my interior look like crap

broncochevy

Loc.
Orcutt, CA
looks good to me, or should I say at least you can use it. My dash is rusted out on the bottom and so on so look on the bright side.

OP
OP
B

BigB

Keep all your OEM steering wheel parts. You will probably go back.

I always keep parts that I have removed.

Why do you think I will go back?

This is the first aftermarket wheel I've used in my bronco but have used others on past muscle cars. I can't stand the skinny grip on OEM wheels.