• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What can I expect to pay?

jasonmcc

Loc.
Nola -> Utah
What might a good quote (ballpark) for the work below parts and labor be?

Current: 1976 Bronco, 3” Body lift, Stock suspension, stock tanks, 3.50 gearing, 302 with ceramic headers, aftermarket exhaust, Edelbrock manifold, Holley carb, RV Cam, 3 on the tree

1. 347ci Stroker or 351W (with sniper EFI and controlling timing)
2. 4R70W Tranny
3. 4.56 gears
4. IDIDIT Tilt Column
5. EFI Tank (M1A1 or Sherman from WH)
6. 2.5” Duff Tuff Suspension with Bilsteins
7. 1” body lift WH deluxe kit
8. T-Rex radius arms
9. DT long travel traction bar
10. Hellwig Sway Bar Front and Back (quick disconnect)?
11. Vintage Air A/C and Heater

Google sheet breakdown...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R21M--ADXLeQ70EzLT2nQrJp4KE1JqUCOjlwWjdtoKQ/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
I'm sure you'll get a lot of "it depends" responses....but no less than $15K for all of that. Biggest cost in that list, of course, will be the engine and that could fluctuate quite a bit depending on what you go with.

I say whatever you do, don't farm this out to someone who is not intimately familiar with early Broncos. Cheapest is not always better.

OP
OP
jasonmcc

jasonmcc

Loc.
Nola -> Utah
I'm sure you'll get a lot of "it depends" responses....but no less than $15K for all of that. Biggest cost in that list, of course, will be the engine and that could fluctuate quite a bit depending on what you go with.

I say whatever you do, don't farm this out to someone who is not intimately familiar with early Broncos. Cheapest is not always better.

Good tip! Yeah, the quote comes from someone who works on vintage broncos.

SavageBurro

rough guestimate:
$16000 for the parts you have listed;
$1500 add'l for misc parts to make those parts work;
$5500 labor

Total: $23000

I'm not in any sort of bronco building or automotive service and I very seldom pay others to do anything I think I can do with enough cold ones and youtube research. I just felt like taking an uneducated stab at a guess.

IF you go in with a plan - try to stick to that plan. Mid-project changes will kill you in labor costs!

Good luck with the project - sounds like its going to be sweet.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Definitely compare quotes if you have options.. good luck

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With all due respect, the wish list has a dream Bronco kind of vibe. I looked at your garage and saw how gorgeous your Bronc is now - very spiffy and it looks quite capable (beautiful scenery, btw)! I would sneak up on that list, doing bit by bit by bit, one item at a time. That way, you always have a ride, other than short upgrade interludes, and it doesn't break the bank. Speaking from my own experience, I also know that I have changed my mind way more than once as my project has evolved. Good luck and keep us posted! Howard in beautiful west Michigan

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I wouldnt change a thing!!!!!!! Drive the crap out of it and when something breaks, replace it with your upgrade you want

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Waiting on another quote but got one for 25k (ish)

25K-ish is what I see there too. FWIW. I based that on our relatively low shop rate of $85/hour. Some are higher.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't go stroker. Those are only for folks who really really know, and really want to spend time and money to do it right. You'll save so much sticking with a 351, and end up with the same power more or less.

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
And expect it to go over the estimated cost like everything else....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There is a lot of room. I would say the $25k would be for a basic functional driver. Now show quality, but solid. Rattle can the frame where stuff is welded, just the basics.

Parts are expensive, and you have a lot of them. Labor is expensive, especially good labor. And you will have lots of that.

Go 351W, if you want more you can always stroke it. 347 is already maxed out

BigB

Nothing on that list appears to need any special tools to install nor information that you could not get from this site.

Other than the traction bar needing welding, basically everything else is order it and bolt it in.

Unless you have more money than time...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I wouldnt change a thing!!!!!!! Drive the crap out of it and when something breaks, replace it with your upgrade you want

that's my philosophy when wheeling.. wheel it, breaks, upgrade...

got to enjoy it when you can

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru

goog advice ^ My bronco currently sits unbuilt, because i had the bigger, better, more attitude. the tax on that attitude has been high. driving is the main goal. slow your roll. btw, my bronco was same color as yours, but not quite as good shape (floor pans, rockers, and bottom door posts had rust). I did have a fresh motor with p/s steering and rebuilt trans. there was no reason not to keep driving. it was not my fault though, i blame it on the bad influence of this site LOL.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
25K-ish is what I see there too. FWIW. I based that on our relatively low shop rate of $85/hour. Some are higher.

My 72 Halfcab project is near identical to that chassis description. I've got around 18k in the chassis in parts. This is with new, zero hour rebuild on the engine and transmission. New everything.
I charge myself $0 for labor so that would be an addition if it were for sale.

X2 on the 25k estimate

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
My 72 Halfcab project is near identical to that chassis description. I've got around 18k in the chassis in parts. This is with new, zero hour rebuild on the engine and transmission. New everything.
I charge myself $0 for labor so that would be an addition if it were for sale.

X2 on the 25k estimate

Just wish I had that kind of budget :)

Truck paid off this year, then it's RV, and tow that EB I hope

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Another way to think of it, parts = labor. Doesn't always work out this way, but average everything and for $100 in parts you buy, another $100 goes toward labor.