• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W block dipstick

omureebe

So I've rebuilt my 69 351W that I'll put into my 67 at some point in the future, but the dipstick tube was lost along the way. It's one of those that fit in the block, not oil pan and not timing chain cover. At this point, I've bought three aftermarket tubes that are all too big, and all measure differently on my calipers, so I started searching Craigslist and Ebay…

I know some of you have dropped 351Ws into your Broncos, but have any of you found a replacement dipstick for an early block? Would the dipstick tube from the roller 351Ws from early 90s fit?

With my pan and timing cover on, I'd rather stick to using what the factory asked for - tube in the block...

Thanks!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Something funny is going on here. '69 361W does not have a hole in the block for a dipstick.
For car applications with a front sump pan, it goes through the timing cover.
For rear sump applications it was attached to the pan (much like original Bronco dipsticks). This holds true up to the mid 80's.
So I am not sure what you have going on with a dipstick in the block on a '69, but that isn't right.

OP
OP
omureebe

omureebe

Well.... the motor was from my 69 Cougar that I had for 30 years, and I thought I had verified the stamping on the block. But in any case, here's a pic!

Attachments

• IMG_2049.jpg
    IMG_2049.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 128

77RHINO

I cut down my '96 dipstick and tube about 4", and scribed the fill marks from the old tip over to the new tip.

triracer67

Contributor
I have a 1969 351w in mine, and it’s got a spot for timing cover, and oil pan. I did see spot in block.

Dlish

I got mine from dealer, early 90s truck dipstick I think. Ill look through the file and see if I can find anything

LilMixedUp

Loc.
Bonaire
plug it; with a bolt or pipe plug. Get an aftermarket pan and dipstick (wild horses and JBG both have them and summit carries several types) .... just a thought

bseager

My 351 is out of a van. Has a hole in the block for a rear sump like yours. I ended up using a dipstick from a 90s full size Bronco.
830b6c2b621088817b1e7029b4ae988a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I ran into a 5.0 (supposedly out of a Mustang) that had that hole too omureebe.
Never did try to find out what it was because the dipstick was included with that block. Fit nice and snug, but not so tight you could not easily push it in all the way by hand.

Good luck. Some of the suggested years sound promising, but during most years Ford still had dipsticks in the pans and front covers. Mostly the pans from what I saw.
But maybe there was some consistent application we can find out here.

Paul

The Far Side

Contributor
The 351w that I just pulled from my build shows to from a 69 car. Dipstick in block.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
After a search there at least seems to be others who say they have '69 351w blocks with dip stick holes. I can't explain how. All the '69 351W in cars and trucks had front sump pans and a dip stick in the timing cover. Were the marine blocks set up with a dip stick hole?

BanditBronco

I am almost positive that the oil pan I ordered from Wild Horses for my 351 was the kit that came with a dip stick. It worked perfect. It looks like they sell a screw in dip stick by itself, have you tried that one?

OP
OP
omureebe

omureebe

Well, I've tried to use block style dipstick tubes but they don't fit - 90s van, factory 302, Lokar, etc.. Looks like the entry angle is very steep so entry isn't happening. Tried heating the tube and bending it. nope. So... I'll plug it and get a new pan with the dipstick. Time to move into completion phase! Thanks for all the inputs. I'll update once it's on the stand and broken in (and hopefully not broken!)
Omar

OP
OP
omureebe

omureebe

So reviving this as I'm still not sure what to do. the dipstick hole is in the block and 0.35" measured by micrometer. All the dipsticks from 351Ws and 302s are 0.375"-0.4". Trust me.. I now own five of them. Further, if you look at the location in detail, you'll see the pad isn't flat - the line that runs through the middle is where the pad turns up. Additionally, the oil pan gasket blocks off part of it internally. Other weird thing is usually the pad is opposite - meaning the long part of the crescent is towards the block, not away from the block. Due to angle, I really can't thread this top down, but could bottom up. My thought is to use a dowel and RTV black it in place but.... looking for additional recommendations.
Thanks
Omar

Attachments

• IMG_4697.jpg
    IMG_4697.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4698.jpg
    IMG_4698.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4699.jpg
    IMG_4699.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 34

The Far Side

Contributor
I have a 69 351W from a Fairlane in mine which has the dipstick in the block as well. Will measure the lengths of guid and dipstick tomorrow when I go to the barn.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you sure those are threads? Look like ribs to me, to hold the casing in tighter. I did not think that the block dipsticks were thread-in types, but since you have five of them now, you'd know that better than I.
Then again, a .025" interference is pretty tight!

As for the gasket, that's a non-issue as you either just cut the gasket material out around the hole, or perhaps there's an exact-fit gasket for this type of application?

Otherwise, plugging it would seem to be in order, since most of the oil pans I know of for trucks have a thread-in dipstick hole in the side of the pan. Original Bronco pans on the passenger side, most others on the driver's side.
A more important question though, would be do the pans fit your rail properly? Looks like you've had one mounted already, so does that seem to be in order regarding the fitment of the pan?

Paul

OP
OP
omureebe

omureebe

Are you sure those are threads? Look like ribs to me, to hold the casing in tighter. I did not think that the block dipsticks were thread-in types, but since you have five of them now, you'd know that better than I.
Then again, a .025" interference is pretty tight!

As for the gasket, that's a non-issue as you either just cut the gasket material out around the hole, or perhaps there's an exact-fit gasket for this type of application?

Otherwise, plugging it would seem to be in order, since most of the oil pans I know of for trucks have a thread-in dipstick hole in the side of the pan. Original Bronco pans on the passenger side, most others on the driver's side.
A more important question though, would be do the pans fit your rail properly? Looks like you've had one mounted already, so does that seem to be in order regarding the fitment of the pan?

Paul

Oh it's a press-in and not thread in. But all the dip sticks are a little to large in diameter and the angle entering the block too steep. Seeing the gasket block off some of the hole make me thinkk I should use some type of dowel. I ordered some 3/8" freeze plugs, tapered silicone cone, and hard wood dowels. I'll try the freeze plug first (maybe I can work it in there), but not sure if the wood dowel or tapered silicone cone would be choice #2...

Thanks all and keep the recommendations coming for better ideas.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
That's a weird size hole. You could drill it to 3/8" or 0.375". There are plenty of 3/8" plugs in steel or bronze. I know through further research, that Ford only put 351Ws in Mustangs and Cougars in '69. All these had front sump pans with the dip sticks in the timing covers. All the 351/5.8s I know of had 3/8" diameter dip stick tubes. The hole drilled in your block seems to be for something else. But what? Do those who have '90s drilled blocks know if the placement and hole diameter is the same as omureebe's block?

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
That's a weird size hole. You could drill it to 3/8" or 0.375". There are plenty of 3/8" plugs in steel or bronze. I know through further research, that Ford only put 351Ws in Mustangs and Cougars in '69. All these had front sump pans with the dip sticks in the timing covers. All the 351/5.8s I know of had 3/8" diameter dip stick tubes. The hole drilled in your block seems to be for something else. But what? Do those who have '90s drilled blocks know if the placement and hole diameter is the same as omureebe's block?

And 69 galaxie's had 351w as well but same pan dipstick layout as the mustang/cougars,,,,

I'm working on a 89 bronco either today or fri ..i'll have the dipstick tube out i'll let you know,,the location is the same in front of drivers side rear most freeze plug..

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The '69 Galaxies did have the 2 barrel 351. I did a lot of searches in the '80s for 351 4 bbl donors. So I guess the 2 bbl 351s were just overlooked. I did own a '69 full size Ford but it was a Custom, the Police and taxi low buck package. Mine had the 428 PI engine that easily outperformed the 429s in Galaxies.
I can't help but be curious why a '69 351 block casting had hole had too small for a dip stick. What was it for? The later 351 blocks at least until the mid '90s had no hole in the side.