• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BC Broncos Family Cage Soft Top

Tman

Loc.
Washington Twp., MI
I installed a family roll cage from Extreme Custom Fabrication and I realize that my old Kayline top no longer fits due to the rear hoop not clearing the rear or the roll cage. It appears the only option I have for a top is the BC Broncos top. There are only a few pics of the top on their website and I was wondering if anyone has it and can post a few pics and reviews of it.. Unfortunately, i have door inserts so even if I did purchase it, it does not have doors available. Is there another option out there?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Love that BC top, Hope to have it one day when I have a street rig.. good luck

OP
OP
Tman

Tman

Loc.
Washington Twp., MI
Yeah Roundhouse, I had the same thought, I was thinking about rigging up some flat stock or something like what they have on children's trampolines that ring around the top of the net and and bolt together creating the top hoop. Some thin flexible steel. I'm not going to buy a top that leaks. Also I don't have Factory doors so it just sounds like it would be a nightmare to go with the BC Bronco top. I had a Kayline top is at least 25 years old and I never had leak issues. So I guess I'm just going to have to see what happens. I would definitely be more interested in the BC Broncos top if they had soft doors that fit inside door inserts. I guess I'll just stick with running with no top and driving it in the spring summer and fall, sometimes....it is Michigan. I do have a bikini top from K line that still fits. I wish someone would make a soft top for a family cage and door inserts.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Just figure out how to zip tie a pool noodle on the roll bar hoop where the soft top hoop would be

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
After I built my cages I was thinking of making a top with the supports built into the cage. In the end people already bitch about the price of the bc top. To build the prototype and have em made I figured would cost about 3k each back then to make it worth the effort. I just remember the issues chuck went thru to find decent vendors to build the top.

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
, sometimes....it is Michigan. I do have a bikini top from K line that still fits. I wish someone would make a soft top for a family cage and door inserts.

For the record, Broncobob family cage fit under best top and kayline soft tops. And best top offer soft doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Tman

Tman

Loc.
Washington Twp., MI
my Kayline is over 25 yrs old and i had my rear hoop of the cage welded more straight than the near 45° angle some family cages have in the back due to the fact i installed a new corbeau bench seat in the back and it needed to be mounted a little further back than the stock bench seat. my rear hoop is just a little too short to fold all the way back into position. Ive thought about clamping something to the rear cage hoop to support the top, but I wanted to see if anyones already solved this issue. And unless you live in an arid state or in the desert, why would you want a canvas top that gets saturated and then leaks?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Could you take out the rear hoop for the top and put in release pins so you can pull the pins and put the hoop down and then put the pins back in? that's what I did with my top hoops. That way I can take them off their mounts so when running with the top off there's nothing clanking around.

If that's not do able weld some sleeves on the side of your roll par top and slide the rear top hoop into those. You can pin the hoop so it sits in the right place. You could even spring load it to add tension.

OP
OP
Tman

Tman

Loc.
Washington Twp., MI
I tried to pull the pins and reinstall the rear hoop into place but it hits the outter radius of the cage on each side. The cage is beautifully powder coated so to add mounts onto it, i will have to go w/ clamps of some kind. I also thought about elevating the rails that the top snaps down on with, shimming it up to then clear the cage. The rear window will not reach the snaps on the tailgate now, but that will at least allow me to get the top close to. I could always then relocate snaps higher on the tailgate if I wanted to be able to snap down the back window. But that would leave me with a row of holes in the tailgate or 2 rows of snaps on it

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Yeah Roundhouse, I had the same thought, I was thinking about rigging up some flat stock or something like what they have on children's trampolines that ring around the top of the net and and bolt together creating the top hoop. Some thin flexible steel. I'm not going to buy a top that leaks. Also I don't have Factory doors so it just sounds like it would be a nightmare to go with the BC Bronco top. I had a Kayline top is at least 25 years old and I never had leak issues. So I guess I'm just going to have to see what happens. I would definitely be more interested in the BC Broncos top if they had soft doors that fit inside door inserts. I guess I'll just stick with running with no top and driving it in the spring summer and fall, sometimes....it is Michigan. I do have a bikini top from K line that still fits. I wish someone would make a soft top for a family cage and door inserts.
FYI, just so you all know, We designed the BCB top to fit over any cage that would fit under a stock top and our top will accommodate any doors that will fit a stock hard top including the stock doors. The BCB top uses the stock door rubber so any door seals to the stock hard top will seal to our top.
The idea of making a top to fit a cage is a good one the we also had but rejected it because of the added cost.