• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking for history on my 72’ Sport/Explorer

Svslow

Loc.
Colorado Springs

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd get a Marti report. That will give you a solid starting point because it will tell you what dealership first sold it, etc.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Svslow, welcome to classicbroncos! Congrats on the new rig too. Very nice indeed.

A '72 Explorer is kind of a cool find. Not much of what would make it an Explorer though it looks like. No bright body side molding, but it could be ordered without it I think. Just like not getting the Ranger stripes with a Ranger package.
Looks to be a parchment vinyl interior instead of the Tan cloth/vinyl combination it would normally have been.
The door panels and dash pad are gone too, but those are often in pretty bad shape after a few years, so your new-ish ones are a very nice upgrade. Maybe they redid the interior recently? Looks to be in almost new condition inside and outside.
What kind of floor covering? And is there an Explorer badge on the glovebox door? Original would have been a full coverage parchment textured mat, but most of them have been all torn up as well.

My buddy's first Bronco was a '72 Explorer Sport in a very similar red color. Yours is brighter, and possibly more "red" if you get what I'm saying. I believe his was what Ford called Candyapple (or is that Rangoon?) that year.
Here's a pic:
IMG_0038 (Large).jpg

In the pics it looks to be a pretty fully done Bronco you got there. The descriptions make it sound like it's in need of a few things, but sure doesn't look like it from here.
Have fun with it.

Paul

Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome, Welcome... Agree on that Marti report. Wealth of info

bchesley

From what I understand the Explorer is an interior package and the Sport is the exterior trim package. The 72 explorer has some unique features just for that year. 73 and on the interior matched the exterior color. You could order any color sport exterior packaged truck and then add the explorer interior package. I have a Candy Apple Red 72 that has the ginger colored interior. You can still get the NOS cloth center for the seats if you ever cared to go back to stock. Here are a few pictures of the stock explorer interior.

Attachments

• IMG_9470.jpg
    IMG_9470.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_9378.jpg
    IMG_9378.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
S

Svslow

Loc.
Colorado Springs
Thank you for the responses! I’ve done a lot to this truck since I bought it in Late August. We’ve put an a/c kit in it, the Toms bronco rear springs and tan carpet, windshield gasket, tires, duff exhaust kit and drive shafts. I daily drive it. The engine had less than 500 miles on it with paper work from the machine shop. There wasn’t a spec of dirt on the entire engine. I’ve put about 7,000 miles on it. It has a nice flat tappet comp cam with larger valves 289 heads. It’s a little heavy on the wallet since I have to run premium. This truck used to be Durango tan which looks like an awesome color. I can see on the inside where the sport trim holes were welded closed. I hope to get the trim back soon if I can find a reasonably priced set.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Somebody said "Durango Tan" Explorer?;)

IMG_0060 (Large).jpg IMG_0031 (Large).jpg

Same truck, pics taken one year apart.

Paul

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Does anyone know what the exterior color options where available for the 72 Explorer Sport? I thought I read somewhere that you could order it in 3 different colors. Tan (Golden Rod) Red and Blue, but I would like to know the color names/codes of the red and blue.

yfz450sew

G color code is chrome yellow, which would have been your original paint color. I also have a 1972 Explorer Sport model that was once chrome yellow also. Not very many made in that color.

OP
OP
S

Svslow

Loc.
Colorado Springs
G color code is chrome yellow, which would have been your original paint color. I also have a 1972 Explorer Sport model that was once chrome yellow also. Not very many made in that color.

I’ve been doing some more research today. Other websites suggest only two color options for an explorer sport in 72. Blue and copper metallic. Any ideas maybe ours has just a badge on it?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I’ve been doing some more research today. Other websites suggest only two color options for an explorer sport in 72. Blue and copper metallic. Any ideas maybe ours has just a badge on it?

Post a pic of the warranty tag from the glovebox. That will tell color (unless special order) and trim.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Whatever those other pages are obviously have lots of internet-power because this question keeps coming up, and we keep debunking it.
While some original paperwork made the suggestion of only two options, and other people have said the same thing, we've found over the years that there were Explorers out there with multiple colors not on that list.
Blue and Copper, Durango Tan, at least one of the Red colors (if not two), the aforementioned Chrome Yellow, and probably more.
Right here in this thread are at least three colors not on your list. All original Explorers.

In post #7 bchesley made an interesting comment about being able to order any normal color and then add the Explorer package just like any normal option. Makes sense, especially when given the facts of all the other colors.
Several threads here on classic pretty much confirm at least some of what has been mentioned in this thread.

Perhaps Ford originally intended to offer it as a special thing in only two colors, but as often happens customer demand, or perhaps cooler minds prevailing, changed their minds early on.
Either way, the rumors of only two colors being available have been greatly exaggerated.

Any sites that insists otherwise are wrong.
I know that's a bold statement (and bolder than I usually feel comfortable making) but at the very least we have documented several colors other than the expected two, from original owners, second-owners who bought when the trucks were young, and Marti Reports.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Bold but perfect....

Any sites that insists otherwise are wrong.
I know that's a bold statement (and bolder than I usually feel comfortable making) but at the very least we have documented several colors other than the expected two, from original owners, second-owners who bought when the trucks were young, and Marti Reports.