• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1977 Bronco Ranger - Build

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got this in a couple weeks ago. Very nice guy from Arkansas sold it to me. Very solid truck. As you can see it has been repainted Yellow. After getting the Marti report I discovered this Bronco originally was a Dark Jade Metallic with the Ranger Package and lots of Options. Very Cool!

Not sure if I will go back to original color??? I'm thinking Wimbledon White Ranger.

Arrived with NO Top and Tires/wheels were swapped out for rollers to get it here. Made the deal a little sweeter. All in all pretty solid.

Drives very nice and starts up easy too. I'll get the VIN verification done this coming week and get it Titled and Registered. Gonna drive this one for awhile while others are in the works.

Attachments

• 77 Bronco Ranger - Driver's Side.jpg
    77 Bronco Ranger - Driver's Side.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 320
  • u15glo25804_dlxrpt.pdf
    219.5 KB · Views: 54

trailerjack

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Central Texas
Nice, I am a sucker for Jade, in fact both of the Bronco's I am building will be Jade Ranger "looking". Does it still have the jade interior?

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice looking rig! I like the black and yellow, My old high school colors.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
broncobsession - Pretty much! My wife thinks I'm saving them all. The Gobi 69 is next to let go soon.

trailerjack - Aftermarket seats up front and a covered Jade Rear seat.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The exhaust that was on this Bronco had a 4-6 sections per side of the Dual exhaust. Not pretty at all. Manifolds and exhaust are now completely gone.

I removed the old Muffler/Exhaust Brackets and cleaned up the wiring harness that runs underneath and to the rear lights. Lots of patch work there too. Now it actually works.

I then installed the complete 2-into-1 exhaust I took off my other 77 (that will have a Coyote motor). The BC Headers are now installed with 2 1/2" Pipe and a Gibson Muffler. Too much exhaust for the current 302, but it will be well suited for the planned 347. Why do it twice?

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Corbeau seats that came with this Bronco do not fit me well. So, I'll take these out and replace them with a pair of Black 69 Mustang seats that have been sitting on my shop shelf for ages. I knew I would use them at some point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The rear tail Light Harness on the Bronco were all Buggered up. I replaced the wire harness from the Fuel Tank back with new, left-over TXL wire from previous build. Weatherpack connectors were also used. When I re-do the whole chassis harness in the future, this section will already be done.

All the lights, Turn Signals and Brake lights work now too. Nice to have a small project work out.

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Ray congrats on the new rig, when are you going to host a car show? ;D

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Seems like I have one in my shop currently.

The 69 is almost ready to go. Others are in various stages.

I'll drive the Yellow one for awhile. It runs so well I may not do much of anything to the engine. I have only installed some BC Headers and exhaust.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I installed a new set of 17" tires and wheels on this truck yesterday. I took a ride this evening and it may be the nicest driving, unrestored Broncos I have had.

It helps that this 77 has Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes and a great shifting C4. I am really contemplating NOT rebuilding or touching the motor. (Ok, I did install the BC headers and 2-into-1 Exhaust) Maybe just cleaning up the motor a little and get it back to looking completely stock again. The factory 2-barrel has great throttle response.

The paint, well, that's a whole other issue. I think it was rolled on?????? Initially I thought it was yellow LineX or some type of bed liner. Yes, the paint is that bad. 30 Footer at best!

The plan is a Wimbledon White Ranger.... Painted correctly!

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So, this is what I found Under the Coil Cups on the Front Suspension. About 1" Block with longer 7/16" Bolts to hold them in place in addition to the Rancho Springs. This is a new one for me. I have taken apart 12-15 Broncos in the past. Never seen this before. Not the brightest idea for a front lift.

Side picture was taken prior to disassembly.

I replaced the front set-up with Red 2 1/2" WH Coils, Bilstein Shocks and an Adjustable Trac Bar. The Rear Springs will be next.

Attachments

• 77 Bronco Ranger - Front Block.jpg
    77 Bronco Ranger - Front Block.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 77 Bronco Ranger - Driver's Side.jpg
    77 Bronco Ranger - Driver's Side.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Picture of the Progress on the Front Suspension. (coil is not compressed)

The WH 2 1/2" Coils and the Bilstein shock combo rides MUCH better than the Rancho before. I prefer the Progressive Rate Coils than the Linear.

No, I did not reinstall the Lift Blocks that were underneath the Coil Cups before.

Attachments

• 77 Bronco Ranger - Front Suspension.jpg
    77 Bronco Ranger - Front Suspension.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 107
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks.

The Radius Arm Bushings are new and the Factory Front Sway Bar Bushings are new as well. Not having to deal with those made the Front Suspension install so much easier.

Next is a new windshield. It had a few rock chips and a large crack.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I finally got Both the Front and Rear bumpers off this truck. Each bumper had a post or insert into the frame welded in and then the Bumper itself welded to the insert. After many cut-off wheels and endless time grinding, it all looks original like nothing was there at all. This was a major PITA.

A new windshield was installed. Now I can actually see straight and not have to lean to the side to see past the large crack/chip.

I also had the Roll Cage with DOM tubing built and installed. I have Speaker Pods installed in the top corners. These fit under an Original Hard Top or Soft Top quite easily and blend right in. The wiring for the speakers is inside the cross-bar and then down the driver's side post and exits right before the bottom pad. The bottom pads are very large with matching plates underneath. (These are bolted Together with the body sandwiched between) I could also add an additional bar later that would be welded to connect the Plates to the frame.

The rear Bars on the Cage are angled for the Bows on a Soft Top to clear. The front bars tie into the windshield for support and no flex with a Soft Top installed.

I also have 7/16" Fine Thread inserts welded in for the Front and Rear 3-Point Shoulder Belts.

Cage is painted Black for now to match current paint. It will also be changed to match final color of truck. I'm thinking Wimbledon white for now.

Attachments

• 77 Ranger - Cage Mockup.jpg
    77 Ranger - Cage Mockup.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 77 Ranger - Cage 2.jpg
    77 Ranger - Cage 2.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have really been enjoying driving this Bronco recently. I am also considering NOT rebuilding the motor still or doing anything to it??? Runs great with excellent throttle response. Newly refurbished original Valve Covers and Air Cleaner have been installed with New Plugs and Plug Wires. I added Factory Chrome Bumpers Front and Rear. The one on the rear is an Original 66 Bumper. I wish they had made more of these. I like them A LOT better.

I've also been going after the normal rattles and noises. New bushings in the Rear Tire Carrier mount with the correct washers certainly helped. The windows and door handles are next to address.

Because these trucks do not have a tilt steering wheel, the PO installed a much smaller diameter steering wheel. It serves the purpose of getting out easier, but wow is the steering super quick with the factory 77 Steering Box. Too quick!... Add this to the list.

I kinda feel like I have been dressing up a Pig because the paint job is marginal at best. I'm calling it my Mock-Up stage and will be happier once new paint is done.

Last edited: