• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

project tetanus build thread.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
some more pics of my new body.
8mhkmOs.jpg

nxPcfK3.jpg

TTmJwNn.jpg

04Ywgv3.jpg

87rt2q1.jpg

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
obviously there is some early flash rusting going on around the spot welds. etc. I am not ready to start working on the body really yet. I plan to build up the frame and drivetrain first then work on the body, but I obviously have to do something about this or I will have problems before I am ready so I started working on it today. I started sanding down the spot welds with 80 grit sand paper on a 3 inch sanding disk. then sprayed the floor with epoxy primer/sealer.

wRtU0f0.jpg

XNecMU7.jpg

hUgrviw.jpg

tomorrow I will be starting on the engine compartment. I will pull the hood and fenders off and begin working on it. then I will lift it and work on the undercarriage. once I get it all in primer I will store it until I am ready to begin the body phase.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
I have accomplished a bit since my last post. slow but steady I guess. I did not take any good pictures of the engine compartment or underside, but I did finish grinding down all the welds, wire wheeled all the seams and scuffed it all with a scotch brite. under neath I sprayed all the seams with eastwood rust encapsulator. then I primered the whole thing with epoxy primer. I still have to go back and put all the seam sealer on, but that will have to wait until I am ready to jump back on the body work in a while. I also would like to lizard skin it and bedliner it. In the mean time it is under wraps and waiting till I am ready to tackle it again.

kW0ApGr.jpg

then we have been dealing with a lot of really terrible stuff at home so I didn't spend much time working on the bronco for a while.

I did spend a couple nights detailing some small parts and powder coating them. I really love my little eastwood powder coater, and since I bought the dust deputy for my media blaster it has gotten a lot easier to prepare parts for coating.

so I first took care of the pedal assembly.

phdhJrm.jpg

after powder coating, all new bushings, and greasing them with wheel bearing grease, new pads etc.

JUccJSg.jpg

then I did the accelerator pedal.
5CnN8Ns.jpg

1JP4Suq.jpg

new pad, and spring. I also powder coated the proportioning valve bracket.

FDMmMHt.jpg

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
then this week I took a few days off to take care of some other family stuff and so I had most of the last two days off.

so I started putting my rolling chassis together. this will be nice to free up some space in my garage lol. wild horses premium 1.5 inch lift kit.

yCiRdjC.jpg

svOfGhQ.jpg

and yes, at this point I realized that the emergency brake cables are dedicated driver and passenger side, and of course I got it wrong so I will get to pull that back apart and fix it later smh :mad:

JLatq5G.jpg

W7iCf3V.jpg

Fw7yba4.jpg

MIW1HzW.jpg

sDezPJW.jpg

I bought an adjustable track bar from tom's bronco parts and I still need to read up on how to adjust that properly I imagine that will have to wait until I have the vehicle assembled and have all the weight on it before I try to dial it in to close. but I am pleased with how it looks so far.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
You should be able to change those e-brake cables without tearing it all down. I changed mine with just removing the drum and accessing it with some tools to pry the spring back and unhook the cable and then carefully compressing the retaining tabs to pull it out. Ken

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
You should be able to change those e-brake cables without tearing it all down. I changed mine with just removing the drum and accessing it with some tools to pry the spring back and unhook the cable and then carefully compressing the retaining tabs to pull it out. Ken

thanks, I will give that a try next time I get some time to work on it. I think I should be able to get it done.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
I swapped the e brake cables today. no real difficulty there. I also ordered all new brake lines from wild horses. the stainless hard lines and the flex lines. I also just received my new MOAB power brake set up. I wanted the chrome booster and the polished master cylinder, but that was not listed on the website, but a couple of emails later and a quick phone call and it was on it's way. and it looks AWESOME. I won't be installing the power booster or master cylinder any time soon of course, but I wanted to get the bracket for the brake lines and to read the instructions that came with it so that I can run my hard lines correctly.

QIqCz2K.jpg

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
thanks guys. yeah I love my garage. this is the third house I have owned since I got my first real paying job. in my first house after I had lived there I built a decent 24x 32 foot wood frame garage with attic which was great when I had just the mustang to work on, later when I moved to Utah I built a 40 x 42 foot miracle truss steel building. did all the work except the concrete myself with some friends and family to help and just started wiring it and everything when some circumstances changed and I had to find a new job. I moved to Iowa and after the first year I decided to build a new shop and this time I had it built for me by a professional company. much faster lol. I did all the interior work on it, but the building itself was put up by concept builders. it is a 40 x 60 foot building. I call it the bionic doghouse because Its's where the dogs live, and because I keep rebuilding it better than before. if I ever move again I am going to need a 60 x 80 I think lol.

Things are kind of on hold right now waiting on parts to finish running the brake lines. I am starting to plan other parts in the mean time. I think I am going to run vinyl 3/8 fuel line instead of that braided hose I used on my 67. I need to redo it. It has a tendency to have a lot of fuel vapor smell from those lines. I think I will replace them with some ptfe lined hose, but for the bronco I am investigating the idea of making some stock looking vinyl lines with quick disconnects. I will either do that or decide to run the same ptfe lines. I am going to be using a fitech electronic fuel injection system and a toms bronco parts fitech fuel tank, so some of the lines will have to be AN lines. I am still thinking about that part. Also trying to figure out all the other things I need to decide. I am making lists and keeping track of things on my computer. and I have one of Stacey Davids deluxe project planning books to keep track of part numbers and things. However, unlike mustangs, I have never worked with a Bronco before, so I have a lot to learn. And while this site is a God send, sometimes finding exactly the information I need, to learn how to do something is a challenge. I tried to take a lot of pictures when I took the old Bronco apart, however that thing was so highly modified from original that many of them are useless. oh while, time to take another bite of the elephant

DpCoPFA.jpg

Attachments

• elephant.jpg
    elephant.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
I have been having a heck of a time with parts again. nothing seems to fit right the first time. I have been on the phone with wild horses a couple times, and I still need to send back another set of brake lines. but I think I finally have my brake lines sorted out. I also got my new fuel tank from toms bronco parts. I plan to use a fitech fuel injection system and I have read they really don't work well with other systems so I decided to go all fitech. but I broke the stupid nipple off the fuel pump when I was tightening the hose clamp somehow. man I was not torquing it hard at all. but I guess I am going to have to hope they will warantee it. anyway I kbs coated the tank for protection and installed it. I have the fuel lines ready to go, but I want to get the engine and transmission in before I run the fuel lines. I want to figure out how I am going to run the exhaust before I run the fuel lines. so I guess the next step is to get the engine and transmission sorted. I am going to have to wait until march after tax season but then I have some plans for the drivetrain which will be fun. anyway I have a few more pictures to post today.
NHk5ozD.jpg

1GC8wy3.jpg

oIg65Om.jpg

bQyn8fe.jpg

XZQcjYn.jpg

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
I am just still slowly spinning my wheels. waiting on some parts to finish rebuilding the transfer case.
JmufmXD.jpg

I got all the parts from wild horses but I am waiting on a piece from Novak and a new gear from another supplier. anyway I have it all torn down so I might as well post up a few pictures.

I am going to be switching to a 5 speed so I removed the transfer case and left the adapter and duff floor shifter in place. hopefully someone will need one someday, or it may just be added to the junk I take to the scrap yard.

kID7Axs.jpg

then you get to clean off years worth of grease, and dirt. I didn't want it to get all over so I used the little wading pool I sit out for my dogs when its hot out. I will have to get them a new one this summer or my wife may be upset lol.

EDTvm8L.jpg

eIexMsq.jpg

ZNbHUzf.jpg

I took some pictures as I tore it down but nothing everyone hasn't seen before. I used the video from matts garage, and the site from billavista as well as a couple other resources. taking stuff apart is easy.

mz0SCL8.jpg

then more cleaning,
KdoKFMF.jpg

then I painted it with eastwood rust encapsulator and a top coat of vht engine paint gloss black
Wr8zZeJ.jpg

I discovered when doing the inspection that the front output gear was not in the best condition so I ordered a new one from Oconee offroad http://www.oconeeoffroad.com/

DeON8aX.jpg

ww9ghLQ.jpg

once I get all my parts I will get to try to put it all back together.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
one thing I will point out though first of all my Bronco is a 71 this is a j shifter transfer case so no idea where it came from originally. but when I tore it apart there was interlock rod in between the shift rails Matt from Matts garage video says his transfer case did not have one. I guess some do, some don't. here is a picture from my shop manual that shows where it goes.

QnvQxY4.jpg

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
I got the rest of my parts in last night and spent several hours putting the t-case back together. man I struggled to get those stupid thrust washers to stay stuck to the side of the case long enough to squeeze that intermediate shaft in. I thought keeping the needle bearings from falling out would be the hard part . but I did finally get it. I replaced the front out put gear with a new one due to excessive wear. I put a novak front bearing cover on it and got it set up with the proper shims this is a nice piece.

eJZ2nI3.jpg

then getting that stupid intermediate gear in. I used a zip tie around the gear to give me something to hold onto, and I ended up starting the shaft into the case just enough to give the rear thrust bearing something to ride on, and I used a 7/8 socket for the front and that finally allowed me to get it all together without one of those stupid washers falling down into the case.

qvxebcy.jpg

then the wild horses extreme assembled rear output shaft and there billet cover, that looks nice too I think. it is just sitting on there for now. I will wait until I get the adapter for the new transmission before I button that up for good.

but I think it is a nice improvement and will look good between the frame,

LwNuXIR.jpg

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Very nicely done! Envious of your mechanical ability, taste, and, likely, wallet! Gonna be a thing of beauty! Howard in beautiful west Michigan

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
Very nicely done! Envious of your mechanical ability, taste, and, likely, wallet! Gonna be a thing of beauty! Howard in beautiful west Michigan

I have seen some of the things you have done. I think you have definitely got me beat on at least two of the three. I can certainly out spend most anyone lol. that is why I have to take the wife on vacation next week lol I have a conference. she gets to have vacation. I spend time planning my next big parts purchase ;D;D