• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1969 complete frame-off rebuild - started 5-12-2017

OP
OP
Uncut1970

Uncut1970

Removed the 351w and have decided to go back with a built 302

Last edited:

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
Removed the 351w and have decided to go back with a built 302- for clearance mainly.

The 351 doesn't leave enough room to stuff a bigger radiator, new performer intake and carb, Vintage A/C kit, new headers, etc.. without cutting the hood.

Now adding a new wiring harness; which was unanticipated until we really got in there yesterday.

Figured if we're going to do it, might as well do it right.

Buy once, cry once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice keep up the good work. Cant wait to see what it looks like.

OP
OP
Uncut1970

Uncut1970

Sneak peak. Painter got in there three weeks ago and found a lot more rust than originally thought... he cut it out, then took sheet metal and shaped, welded, sanded, primed and painted it all at one time. Zero bondo in this puppy

Should have several more pictures next week. Supposed to leave the paint shop this Saturday - hopefully

14fb3cfcae45189d4408c3e889d75787.jpg

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
Sneak peak. Painter got in there three weeks ago and found a lot more rust than originally thought... he cut it out, then took sheet metal and shaped, welded, sanded, primed and painted it all at one time. Zero bondo in this puppy

Should have several more pictures next week. Supposed to leave the paint shop this Saturday - hopefully

14fb3cfcae45189d4408c3e889d75787.jpg
Sweet looking good

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

bdawson

Looks great, I just relocated to Greenville! Who are you having do your work? I am looking for a good front end/alignment shop that is familiar with Broncos and an exhaust place, have a leak that needs taken care of. Any recommendations would be great!

OP
OP
Uncut1970

Uncut1970

Well it's been nearly four months since I provided an update, and it's been even longer since I've actually seen it in person... I just visited the shop, and this is where we are...

Delay #1) The paint job was nearly complete in late August when Comcast Cable installed new communication lines into the paint shop. They penetrated the block exterior walls in several spots to run new cables into the building... they then filled their holes with spray foam with complete disregard to what was inside. They covered a brand new paint job with foam. Needless to say, it had to be completely sanded and redone- the top, which had already received 9 hours of labor and bodywork to make right, was hit worse.
b1434ecabd7e6fdecad4db7186924ffe.jpg

Paint to be complete by end of next week.

Delay #2) the shop went from 3 part-time guys to 1 part time guy... the main guy owns the shop as a hobby anyways, so when his labor left, everything slowed down. He is currently completely rebuilding a 302 to put back in. Says he will have engine complete and married to the trans by Christmas.

So by the end of the month, the Body, Engine, and Trans should be complete.

Now I could use some help figuring out things that should be done while the engine is out and body is not connected to the frame...

I'd also love man hour estimates for the installation of the other parts I have already ordered.

New radiator, new fan, new Vintage Air Deluxe kit, power brake (front disk) kit, Centech wiring harness, new body bushing, new steering linkage and control arm, new rear sway bar, new gas tank, etc...

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Got a pic of the frame? Will you be doing any of the work yourself?

I would take care of the frame first and foremost, it will never be easier than now to access all the nooks and crannies

chuckyb

Contributor
I would take care of the frame first and foremost, it will never be easier than now to access all the nooks and crannies

I agree. The body mounts especially. Most of the parts installations mentioned should be a few hours each given you are working from a clean slate. If you have to take off the old parts then triple the estimate. The AC somewhat longer based upon my experience with an aftermarket Mustang setup.

OP
OP
Uncut1970

Uncut1970

How many hours can I anticipate for each of the following so I can get an estimate from my mechanic.

the vintage AC install, the Cyntech wiring harness, front power disk conversion, and adding power steering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Uncut1970

Uncut1970

Time to bring this thread back to life!

Not a whole lot has happened since I last posted. 2017 blessed my wife and I with our first child. Also, went from two incomes down to one - and I left my steady corporate income to go out on my own... needless to say, the Bronco disappeared off the priority list.

That all changes this year. My goal is to drive it to the Super Celebration in April.

Current status:
Paint and body work is complete. There is zero bondo, all trouble areas have been replaced with sheet metal, welded, sanded, primed and painted. It looks amazing.

Engine is being rebuild, from bottom to top. Original 302 block, but that is the only thing left original. It has been with the current mechanic for rebuild since May - I have been patient because I didnt have the time or money to push him.

My new plan is to go pick up the body/frame from the paint shop and all my parts from the mechanics shop this Friday, and take them to a new shop closer to my house. I am going to leave the engine with the original guy to finish the engine because he has already been paid - i think I owe him another $600.

The new shop is going to start on reassembly and installing the new wiring harness. Im excited to get this thing completed!

OP
OP
Uncut1970

Uncut1970

Made lots of progress lately.

Installed the following over last couple weeks...

TBP adjustable steering linkage
WH deluxe disk brake conversion
Hellwig rear sway bar
TBP complete bushing kit
Warn hubs
New body mounts and bushings

It's finally coming along!

aea0fc2c64491108429c2cfa6909a538.jpg

95fd80ce46468a715d1f810fcf5c7a88.jpg
c70958b171257a0541b678babb41720f.jpg
38a39acaad5be6b32fcc480748c8ce7f.jpg

JAFHR

Loc.
Bend Oregon
I just bought a 69 uncut sport bronco. I am subscribed and watching. Gonna do the same down the road. Nice job

OP
OP
Uncut1970

Uncut1970

I just bought a 69 uncut sport bronco. I am subscribed and watching. Gonna do the same down the road. Nice job

Good Luck my friend! I'll admit, one year ago when I purchased the truck, I wholeheartedly believed I would be driving it today.... not so much. And it's not for a lack of trying, money or time.

The "big" things are "easy" and provide a relative amount of instant gratification... it's the small things here in the home stretch that are burning through the cash.

This is my first restoration job, and depending on the outcome, possibly my last. I am positive I could have saved thousands of dollars sourcing used parts from the classifieds section here, Craigslist, and swapmeets.... but I'm a young, dumb, and inpatient millennial I guess- having ordered 95%+ from Toms, WildHorses, Bronco Graveyard, James Duff, Summit, and Jegs.

Prior to embarking on this current journey, I was very close to pulling the trigger on a partially restored daily driver another member was flipping. The seller admitted it needed about $7,500 to be great, and he was asking $17,500... I thought to myself, I could build one from the ground up for cheaper- boy was I wrong.

I've kept a running list of part purchases, which I took the time to add up last night. My original budget was $25,000 including the cost of original Bronco.
I have exceeded said budget by nearly double. I'm not proud; I'm embarrassed quite frankly. My naïveté is on full display and the respect gained for the guys that turn these 50 year old squares of rust into something drivable within budget and time restrains is immeasurable.

All that said, I think we are rounding second base and almost in the homestretch. The fella helping me thinks I'll be driving in June; but I'm not holding my breath.

OP
OP
Uncut1970

Uncut1970

Running list of new parts... some appear repeated, those aren't typos; that's called being unorganized mixed with a tinge of ADD...

Camshaft Kit, Double Roller Timing Chain, Lifters, Valve Seals, Spings, Hardware
New rockers
Intake Manafold Gasket
Carb studs
Edelbrock Performer Carb 650cfm
302 complete gasket kit
Water Pump
MSD 6AL Ignition Controller
MSD Coil
MSW Coil Bracket
Alternator Wiring Kits
100 amp chrome altenator, one wire
Optima RedTop
Hi-torque Starter
Cam Lube
Radiator - Aluminum (returned)
Radiator Fan - electric (returned)
Radiator Controller (returned)
Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold
Kick Panel Speaker Box
Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Flame Thrower ignitian wires
LED Headlight Kit
Optima Battery Holder
Body Mount Bushings and hardware kit
Radiator hose kit for Vintage AC
Stainless Headers Kit - pair
14 piece bushing kit
Timing Chain Cover
Timing Pointer
33x10.5xR15 BFG A/T x 5
5x5.5 Crager Wheels x 5
Power Brake Kit
Vintage Original Side Mirror Set
Vintage Air - A/C Kit with heater too
Liftgate Seal
Driverside Quarter Window Seal
Passenger side Quarter Window Seal
Windshield Seal
Side Mirror Gasket x2
Chisle Stick for Window seal install
Weatherstip Kit - 13 piece
Headliner Replacement
Centech Wiring Harness - with ignition
Clutch Fork Boot
Clutch roller pilot bearing
Clutch return spring
Clutch adjustment rod - current one welded/broke
Turn Signal Buckets, lens, gasket, & bulb
Passenger rocker panel replacement
3 on tree shifter knob
Transmission seal and gasket kit
Manual shift column bushing kit
Front bump stops
Dana 30 knuckle rebuild kit - both sides
Head light chrome bezel - pair
Side Marker Driver
Side Marker Passenger
Rear Side Marker - Driver
Rear Side Marker - Passenger
Tail light lens - Driver
Tail light lens - Passenger
New floorpans
Rocker panels
Adjustable y-link steering kit
Drop pitman arm
adjustable drag link
Drag link mount
"3.5"" lift "
Gas tank, sending unit, hoses, clamps
Dash pad
Rear interior panels
New door panels
Bikini top with hardware
Tuffy interior locking console
Arm rests
Fender flare set
Door strap set
Original hub caps x5
Front half fender clips
Fuel Filler Neck Support Bracket, Main Tank, 70-76 Ford Bronco
Rear/Main Tank Fuel Filler Neck, 1966-76 Ford Bronco
Fuel Cap- Long Reach, Main & Auxiliary, Fits 70-72 Ford Trucks
Door Hinge Backing Plate (each)
Brake/Fuel Line Frame Mount Clip Stainless Steel, Set of 6
Rubber Dimmer Switch Foot Pad
302 Air Cleaner Sticker Emblem, New
CAUTION FAN Sticker for Fan Shroud
Radiator Fan Shroud - V-8, Steel, Powder-Coated
Glove Box Liner w/Fuse Hole - Heavy Duty Plastic
Steering Column to Firewall Boot, 66-77 Ford Bronco, New
Bell Crank Bushing & Felt Kit, New
Adjusting Hood Bumpers (per pair)
Glove Box Door Bumpers
Ford Bronco Speedo driven gear 16 teeth
Ford Bronco Speedometer Cable
Dielectric Grease, 3.0 oz., Each
HEI Power Pigtail, GM HEI Distributors, 12 in. Lead, 12-Gauge Wire, Each
Thermal Insulation, LizardSkin Original Ceramic Insulation, White, 1 gallon, Spray-on, Each
Thermal Insulation, LizardSkin Original Ceramic Insulation, Black 1 gallon, Spray-on, Each
Clutch Kit, 1.063 in. - 10-spline, Organic Disc, Pressure Plate, Ford, Mercury, Kit
Distributor, HEI, Magnetic Pickup, Mechanical, Vacuum Advance, Blue Cap, Ford, 221-302, Each
Spindle Nut Conversion Kit, Standard or Premium, Manual, Chevy, GMC, Ford, Kit
Hub Screws and Snap Ring, Locking Hub Replacement Parts, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, GMC, International, Jeep, Kit
Locking Hubs, Manual, Premium, Aluminum, Chrome, Black Dial, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, International, Jeep, Pair
Fan, Mechanical, Extra-Duty, 6 Blades, Steel Hub, Black, Clockwise Rotation, 17.00 in. Diameter, Ford, Each
Fan Spacer, Aluminum, 0.50 Thick, .625, Pilots, 5/16-24 in. Bolts, Kit
Coolant Reservoir, Ford, Each
68-76 Tub Main Hardware Assemble Kit
Brake Light Switch
Centech to Stock Ignition Switch Adapter
Complete Ignition Switch Kit
Dimmer Switch
Door & Ignition Lock Set
Wilwood Combination/Proportioning Valve 260-11179
E-Brake Cable Floor Mounting Plate 66-77
E-Brake Equalizer
E-Brake Equalizer Lever 66-77
E-Brake Equalizer Lever Hardware Kit
E-Brake Spring 66-77
Engine Wiring Harness Clips
Front Disc Brake Kit - SUPER DELX
Steering Wheel Mark 7 Woody 3 Spoke/Slots 14 Inch
Parking Brake Release Handle
66-77 BRONCO BRAKE/CLUTCH PEDAL PAD W/ BRONCO SCRIPT
66-77 BRONCO ACCELERATOR PEDAL
1966-1977 BRONCO LOWER DOOR GLASS BUMPERS (PAIR)
1965-1968 WINDOW ROLLER AND CLIPS (2)
D20 Gaskets Only, Dana-20
Radiator, Standard 4core, V-8
Radiator Mounts, 4core, (set of 4)
V8 Radiator Hose Kit
Radiator Petcock Drain Valve
Ford Bronco Plastic Nylon Main Fuel Line
Ford Bronco Fuel Fitler Kit
Fuel Pump Block-Off Plate
Ford Bronco Cancel Cam, Steering Wheel
Ford Bronco Shift Rod Retaining Clip
Ford Bronco Shift Rod Bushing With Sleeve
Ford Bronco Lower Steering Column Retainer Seal
Ford Bronco Column, Sleeve Bushing
Motor Plate 8 Cyl., Manual 66-77
Ford Bronco Emergency brake pedal cover
Ford Bronco Column, Shift Lever Knob
Hose Kit for New Delphi Power Box
Ford Bronco Solvent Pump
Ford Bronco OEM Solvent Squirter Nozzle
Ford Bronco Washer Solvent Hose Kit
Ford Bronco Wiper Pivot Arm Retaining Clip
Door Lock Knobs - Chrome, 68-77, PAIR
Door Rod Bushing Clip, OE Metal Style, 68-77 Ford Bronco
OE Window Handle Kit for 68-77 Ford Bronco
Door Glass Bumper, each —
Tail Light Lens Gaskets, pair —
Door Cups - Parchment, 68-77 Ford Bronco (pair)
Steering Column Bezel - Black w/Bronco Script
18 Piece Door Felt Kit w/Glass Tracks & Adhesive (2 Doors)
Column Shift Handle Grommet - Manual or Automatic
Tailgate Side Bumpers (per pair)
Tire Carrier Corner Support Backing Plate - Upper
Tire Carrier Pivot Bushing - Requires 4

Last edited:

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
nice work

abc121fc37c02a5b0ecc3c18c2df2d19.jpg

at the end of your driveway is a V70 .... is it a m66 V70R ? ( to me the ultimate sleeper )

OP
OP
Uncut1970

Uncut1970

nice work

abc121fc37c02a5b0ecc3c18c2df2d19.jpg

at the end of your driveway is a V70 .... is it a m66 V70R ? ( to me the ultimate sleeper )

This was taken at the guys house I bought it from... who was the second owner. He had several very cool classics but no interest in the bronco; maybe because he knew what all it needed