• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

F8 LUBR Build Thread

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
In late 2017 I noticed a new color option on the Demon/Hellcat called F8 Green(PFQ paint code) and I knew this was our color:

4176f343c4b08a4253558a00ee23f27a.jpg

Unfortunately the new F8 Hellcat wasn't released yet so I hadn't seen it in person but I picked up this raw steel Bronco cutout from CB member sk1nw4lk3r and we decided to use it to test out the paint:

yWlqDyX.jpg

Picked up a Limco PFQ sample and had it sprayed. There is a lot of gold flake in it so it can appear very light or very dark depending on the light source:

Ww83xwi.jpg

Shannon found his classic paint book and they had the original F8 paint sample from the late 60s early 70s Plymouths/Dodges. It is a very close match but F8 has more gold flake in it:

AXK849L.jpg

After a couple of weeks with our mini Bronco, we decided there was too much gold flake in it. Shannon recommended we use Sherwin Williams and he can swap out the gold for a silver flake. Flipped the Bronco over and he was right!

wAEQBk2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Cut the piece we needed off the new fender and welded it in:

NQOAxJa.jpg

DXTMLVV.jpg

TGkn5MP.jpg

Countless hours getting the gaps and lines right

S7vvgoU.jpg

3yjTS7H.jpg

JC8BDWe.jpg

I decided I did not want gas caps sticking out like they do originally so I started researching flush-mouted gas caps:

uKfva2f.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Pulled the front clip back off and Claussen Z-Chrome is ready to go on. Z-Chrome is a non-shrinking, rust preventing polyester primer

ujPUm9p.jpg

s10l5Ci.jpg

aOiCRUS.jpg

6mGdKP2.jpg

ulu4mgf.jpg

h0kOwe4.jpg

XWIwgvx.jpg

We then moved the Bronco over to his buddies fab shop(Steve at Lone Wolf Speed & Customs) where the Bronco will get some major upgrades and customization. He is going to start on the undercarriage which will get a full tear down including removing both axles and all suspension components. After degreaser/power-washing, he will apply Spectrum Treatment by Second Skin to the tub as well as painting the frame, radius arms and axles. We will also be applying Second Skin inside the doors for that solid closing sound from a more modern vehicle:

kxumwLI.jpg

Dropped off a ton of parts, passenger seat, console and Wildhorses seat box so that could be welded in:

ZBieLME.jpg

Ordered these flush mounted pop-out gas caps. You push in and give it a quarter twist and the cap pops out. Then you unscrew the cap and insert the nozzle:

bBQ0FIi.jpg

xywDSDl.jpg

He came up with a great idea to mount the housing behind the fender so the caps are even more flush with the body. We will weld up the stock screw holes:

XQeqFBZ.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
We decided to replace the 44 year old wiring harness. Ordered an American Autowire 510317 harness that replaces everything from the headlights to the taillights with a new fuse box and it adds under dash lighting:

V1SbJXL.jpg

Also ordered a new firewall insulation pad from Toms Broncos:

Tb63Spo.jpg

New VIN plate from Marti Reports to OEM specs:

JDdLJME.jpg

Picked up a 14" High Flow Spectre air cleaner:

TXJwC04.jpg

14" Forever Sharp wooden steering wheel with polished horn button:

N1nqHKC.jpg

Denali SoundBomb 12V dual tone horn:

denali_soundbomb_compact_air_horn_black_750x750.jpg

Picked up some 6.5" Hertz Mille Pro Coaxial speakers that will be installed in custom made fiberglass kick panels:

Hertz_Mille_Pro_MPX165_prosp.png

Ordered a molded vinyl flooring kit in black. Since we will not be running a hard top I wanted more of a weatherproof interior that we can simply wash out and wipe clean:

2TDhreo.jpg

Really nice, thick material and its fits very well. Not looking forward to the install but hopefully it goes in during the summer:

hUjx5Mc.jpg

The front NWMP 12 gallon steel tank has a serial plate with 1991 on it and it looks like that's the last time it came out:

6eooBLQ.jpg

Stock 12 gallon rear tank:

9wmLg2P.jpg

Took both tanks to get pressure tested and hot tanked. Both were solid so we will be sticking with 2 tanks and 24 gallons. Put a couple fresh coats of paint on both and picked up new sending units and mounting hardware:

Qm3MGbi.jpg

Also replaced all of the fuel rated rubber lines from the engine to the tanks to the necks so everything is new:

zx5k5TT.jpg

Last edited:

wsager

Looking forward to seeing the vinyl install. Might be nice for me too. Like bedliner, but you can put some insulation under there.

Build is looking good!

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Thanks Gary! This has been the roughest month and a half of the build. I've been hands on in every aspect of the restoration so far but Steve likes to work alone and its killing me! His work is top notch quality though!

Finalized the dash layout. We ran into clearance issues with double DIN stereo and the cowl as well as keeping the defroster functioning but got it figured out:

sfD95xd.jpg

Decided to do vertical stacks for the ignition, lights, wipers on the left and heater controls on the right. I hid a cigarette lighter under the bottom lip of the dash as well as the fuel tank selector switch. New fuse box will be mounted in the glove compartment:

VAkrkHW.jpg

BC Broncos dash with the OEM dash. Overall a great product but it needed several tweaks to fit and mount properly:

8OSC23v.jpg

Started tearing down the undercarriage so it can scrubbed, degreased and power washed. Then the Second Skin Spectrum coating can go on (https://www.secondskinaudio.com/sound-deadening/spectrum-liquid). It helps eliminate road noise, vibrations, and heat:

eCQ5Jb8.jpg

9" rear end and suspension removed. This will get sanded and refinished:

jhMXvPi.jpg

The tub was in excellent shape but what else do you expect in Arizona!?

TkueRnp.jpg

XfDusno.jpg

flXuFqa.jpg

We did find another small but horrible patch repair. This was on the drivers side inner rocker panel. Completely cut out and replaced from start to finish(left to right):

EenPXI1.jpg

Also found the VIN stamped on top of the passenger side frame rail. Numbers matching!!

dy8ec6D.jpg

Dropped the gas tanks off to fit the modified gas necks on. Got the new fresh air intake in:

Zy2QJv5.jpg

He built a mounting frame for the center console and used nutserts in the tub. Don't worry, the tite seal window flashing "sound deadener" is coming out:

eQ1hTYB.jpg

Got the old wiring harness out and besides 4 or 5 added wires, this thing is in amazing shape for being 44 years old:

vjKcam0.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Bolted the gas tanks in to mock up the new flush mount fuel caps. We were able to modify one filler neck but had to build a brand new one for the other tank:

pMtyqgy.jpg

Welded the new cap onto the new neck:

Y7l84zf.jpg

Start to finish on the body:

AUnIfSu.jpg

All done and this is bitchin!

ET0YC5T.jpg

Before cleaning 40+ years of paint, dirt and grime off the 9" rear end:

M3QnFf5.jpg

After:

1w4bruJ.jpg

Looking better than new!

H1IrOdu.jpg

We put 5 coats of Spectrum on the tub, wheel wells, inner fenders, inside the doors and partially up the firewall. 2 coats on the floor braces and other heavier steel and then painted the frame:

vExlvdR.jpg

Painted the driveshafts:

Oefjc5l.jpg

Back together looking so good!

seprpbl-jpg.1513752

More parts back from powdercoating(www.LUBR4x4.com). Did the interior door handles in satin black, the hood latch and hood strut brackets in gloss black and all the tailgate pieces in satin silver. Ryan does an amazing job!

l1L9W16.jpg

Last edited:

bsquared

Contributor
Wicked good build you got going on there! That is turning out to be one killer LUBR! Cheers, B2

yakelys69

Looking great! Do you know how much of the Spectrum Second Skin spray on vibration dampner it took for the undercarriage? Also courious what the advantage of raptor lining over 2nd skin for the engine compartment is.

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Looking great! Do you know how much of the Spectrum Second Skin spray on vibration dampner it took for the undercarriage? Also courious what the advantage of raptor lining over 2nd skin for the engine compartment is.
He did 5 coats on the wheel wells, undercarriage, inner fenders and partially up the firewall. 2 coats on the floor braces and other heavy pieces. Still had some left for the outer fenders and insides of the doors. Bought a 5 gallon jug

Both are durable water proof coatings but Second Skin is a vibration dampener and heat barrier with a rougher finish. Raptor Liner is a UV resistant coating with a cleaner finished look. I have a new firewall insulation kit as well as the Second Skin half way up the firewall.

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
The Bronco went back to Shannon to finish up the body work. We took out the radiator, shroud, master cylinder and booster since we're going to Raptor Liner the engine bay. My fenderwell was dented where the stock power steering goes which I guess is a common "mod" but we will be fixing that and installing hydroboost brakes:

efhewXA.jpg

Spectrum Second Skin coating on the outer fender walls. No more tinny sound:

xiPaPtQ.jpg

Started scraping the old bedliner off the interior fenderwells as those will get POR15/Raptor Liner to match the cage/bumpers.

sH117SJ.jpg

VxEELjV.jpg

Got the insides of the doors all cleaned up:

P5HankZ.jpg

5 coats of Spectrum sprayed in. Its amazing how solid the doors sound now:

AAACH95.jpg

Fresh air vents in the hood cut out and fiberglassed in:

KV4eknm.jpg

Sanded down the engine bay, cowl, hood, and tailgate with 80 grit. Fixed the dent in the drivers side fenderwell and its ready for Raptor Liner:

Li7W0aW.jpg

xWPXTWY.jpg

Raptor time!

7pcQNhE.jpg

fwA8oXH.jpg

yyHOxp8.jpg

trDcomF.jpg

Love the look of this stuff!

RwJdJFn.jpg

irExPm5.jpg

d80nQqm.jpg

Prepping the tailgate and grill for paint:

05slCPv.jpg

Dash and doors getting primered. I noticed 3 holes in the doors that needed to be welded up. He wasn't too happy about that but glad I caught it before paint!

5PaE4t1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
I just got this video!! He is painting!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoXIKgunrVK/

He did the windshield frame, steering column, insides of the doors and the dashboard:

KWb9xm9.jpg

rXdmEaO.jpg

Check out that flake! Glad we went with Sherwin Williams:

d8hMpOm.jpg

OSnrDf7.jpg

So much detail in this paint!

5aucdno-jpg.1519444

2 coats of clearcoat on the dash, wet sanded and buffed. Now it really shines:

ygN2O2u.jpg

Took this home and literally tucked it into the guest bed since we won't need it until harness install:

QcPW8Lo.jpg

I picked up the windshield frame as we decided to have a local glass shop install a flush mounted windshield:

3IcVCWh.jpg

Custom laminated flush mounted glass:

eQq6vTg.jpg

Last edited:

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
Paint looks awesome! Always a good feeling like youre getting closer to driving it! pics in post 39 are not showing up for me