• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

F8 LUBR Build Thread

SDBMtber

Jefe - looks great!

Are you happy with the decision to go raptor in the engine bay? I'm about ready to raptor the underside & wheel wells of my tub and plan to do the inside of the tub as well. Down to final decision time as to whether I do the engine bay in raptor or body color. I go back & forth every other week pretty much!

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Jefe - looks great!

Are you happy with the decision to go raptor in the engine bay? I'm about ready to raptor the underside & wheel wells of my tub and plan to do the inside of the tub as well. Down to final decision time as to whether I do the engine bay in raptor or body color. I go back & forth every other week pretty much!

I would linex the underside, bed and engine bay. I did my interior, I wish I would have done my underside (it's raptor) and engine bay, at least the firewall.

SDBMtber

Thanks Duffy. I’m starting to lean towards doing the engine bay as well. What differences do you see between raptor and linex? I already bought the raptor, Tintting and some micro balloons for the heat blocking, so I’m going down the raptor path anyway. But just curious what you think the advantages are of one vs the other.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Duffy. I’m starting to lean towards doing the engine bay as well. What differences do you see between raptor and linex? I already bought the raptor, Tintting and some micro balloons for the heat blocking, so I’m going down the raptor path anyway. But just curious what you think the advantages are of one vs the other.

Raptor is a chemical cure application. Linex is a heat cure, hard as hell and has a lifetime warranty. If you have the time and money, linex or any other heat cured poly would be better.

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Jefe - looks great!

I've only seen the Bronco 3 times since we coated the engine bay but I think it looks great and is easy to clean. Raptor Liner is purely for durability and looks. I would do Second Skin or any other sound deadening heat barrier spray on coating for the undercarriage.

Im really glad we didn't do paint matched Raptor in the engine bay. Would have been cool on an offroad rig but not a street rig like mine.

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Paint match will lighten several shades, due to the base being white. Really bad on reds.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've only seen the Bronco 3 times since we coated the engine bay but I think it looks great and is easy to clean. Raptor Liner is purely for durability and looks. I would do Second Skin or any other sound deadening heat barrier spray on coating for the undercarriage.

Im really glad we didn't do paint matched Raptor in the engine bay. Would have been cool on an offroad rig but not a street rig like mine.

I don't like color matched, just purely because of what if. What if it fades, what if I decide on another color in 10 years, what if.

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
I don't like color matched, just purely because of what if. What if it fades, what if I decide on another color in 10 years, what if.

color is like marriage... big commitment and your stuck with it once you say yes and if you find yourself unhappy it'll cost you to get out of it!

SDBMtber

No, I'm with you guys - I'm not a fan of the bedliner when it's color matched to the body color look. But, I'm not matching the raptor to body color, I just want something other than black. Tinting the raptor gray - doing the underside & interior of the tub in that color. Now doing the engine bay like that is the plan. May try and paint roll cage or bumpers the same gray, but that's about it. Body is a different color.

Thanks for the input!

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Wet sanded with 1,500 grit then 2,000 and 3,000 and finally polished:

Sx2eRMY.jpg

wxUq0Sy.jpg

b8mE1Hz.jpg

ACukFyi.jpg

1OTnPOj.jpg

2u8RMRL.jpg

Relyx3Z.jpg

3pGtwoz.jpg

Out in the sun for the first time and on its way back to the fab shop! Its amazing how different the green can look depending on the angle. We will be tearing apart the front end to replace bushings and paint the radius arms, restore the Dana 44 and Dana 20, rewire the whole Bronco and installing the dash/stereo.

DAz6nKD.jpg

QY3HChN.jpg

MUAV8Ql.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Dropped off a ton of parts and got to see it again. I can't stand not being involved with every step but Steve is handling things Im not comfortable doing. Gas caps are painted:

HS1GaKq.jpg

This is how they pop out after a slight twist:

vDIl5UC.jpg

FtoShhh.jpg

Mmn7K2e.jpg

Energy Suspension Black 7° C Bushings and Wildhorses Degree'd Radius Arm Bushings going on soon:

ICf6eWS.jpg

As well as the American Autowire Harness

aB9hWXo.jpg

Got the dash back out of the guest bed:

G9neFpZ.jpg

Taking the doors and tailgate home to put the internals back in:

zAGv5BF.jpg

9NrBzAK.jpg

New parts came in. Alternator, distributor, solid state ignition, coil, and saginaw power steering pump:

UtPxH3a.jpg

Last edited:

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those gas caps are awesome!!! Okay the whole dang thing is awesome!