• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

project tetanus build thread.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
now we will see if tomorrow I can get the axle shafts cleaned up and get the knuckles hubs and disk brake conversion on this axle. my frame is supposed to be back this week. then I need to get it over to the powder coater before it rusts again lol. then more sandblasting and cleaning old parts. I have asked Santa Claus for a wild horses 2.5 inch lift kit for christmas. if I am really good maybe I can have a rolling chassis by new years. fingers crossed

You got this... :)

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
actually Nick, I intend to go with gamma globulin. more on that to come.;D;D

in the mean time I have got a little bit done since my last post.

I finished the rear axle. all new brakes, new seals, new bearings.

I also finished the ring and pinion and differential swap on the dana 44.

I got my Dad out of the nursing home for a few hours. he came over to check over my work and help with the final adjustments. this is the first time I have ever done a ring and pinion swap myself so it was definitely a learning experience. I bet I pulled that pinion gear out a hundred times before I was finally satisfied. My Dad could have done it in half the time of course, but there is really only one way to learn things like that so I struggled and messed up my first set of pinion bearings by not having enough pre load shims but I got it done.

My little 100 dollar harbor freight press definitely proved its worth again. and it is nice that I have all of my Dad's tools here as well. that monster 3/4 inch torque wrench and huge pipe wrench makes torquing that pinion nut, no big deal. I also bought myself a couple more new tools, a bearing and seal driving set, an inch drive torque wrench with dial and a new digital caliper my old one was not giving me accurate readings. I already had a good magnetic based dial indicator and everything else I needed. and even with the purchase of the new tools I am well ahead of what it would have cost to have someone else do it.

Love that last picture with your dad! What a great opportunity.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
Love that last picture with your dad! What a great opportunity.

yeah, most everything I know about working on cars I learned from him. he was a mechanic before he retired. he could fix anything. It is what we have always done together. we work on cars, or we talk about them. he has helped me with pretty much all of my projects. even now that he is in the nursing home and has very little endurance, he can still stand and walk just not very far before he gets too short of breath. I talk over all my projects with him and if I have problems he gives me advice. once in a while if he is feeling up to it he comes over and gives me a hand. He enjoys it, it makes him feel useful which is really important to someone living in a nursing home. otherwise, you're just marking time till you die. and he is really the only "car guy" I know close by. We have been talking about drivetrain options tonight. lots of ideas, just haven't decided what way I want to go yet. first things first. I've got to get this chassis back together.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
a little more progress. I bought a nice disc brake upgrade from horsepower LLC on ebay. I must say they have great customer service and an excellent product. last night I put the brake kit on and finished up the front axle. I am amazing some days. I don't know anyone who is as consistent as I am. if there is a way to screw something up I will find it EVERY time. if you look at that first picture you will probably notice that i put the rotor on the wrong side. guess when I figured that out? yep after I had completely finished the job and was cleaning up my tools and stuff, I found this small little piece of paper that said the rotors are directional and they need to go on "this way" I looked at my work hoping I had managed to get lucky and put them on right, I mean 50 50 chance right? nope. so I had to pull it all off and do it again. I can say however that aside from packing the wheelbearings I can swap rotors calipers and pads in under an hour lol.

Attachments

• 20181015_044459406_iOS.jpg
    20181015_044459406_iOS.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 201
  • 20181016_055651236_iOS.jpg
    20181016_055651236_iOS.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 186
  • 20181016_055703597_iOS.jpg
    20181016_055703597_iOS.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
sand blasted my bell housing and clutch arm painted the bell housing and powder coated the clutch arm..
rZ8SUnc.jpg

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
I am so excited to do some real work on the bronco, but right now things are at a point where I can't do to much. so every little thing I do I have to take pictures and document. why? I don't know, because I am too anxious to get to the good stuff I guess. I just heard my frame is done at the powder coater so I picked that up today. it looks great. unfortunately we just had a water main break in my yard so the money I was going to use for the lift kit and steering components will have to be put to getting that fixed. anyway I will keep plugging away. On Halloween I will be going to get my shot of tetanus gamma globulin, the next big component I ordered. then things will kind of slow down I am afraid until this spring when I get some more play money. I am hoping to have the rolling chassis done and be able build the engine.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
It turns out my frame was worse than I thought. After it was sand blasted and repaired and Powder coated at performance powdercoating in des Moines.

x0KZfno.jpg

8xbjNBx.jpg

pt9cXIb.jpg

rqomZWD.jpg

Last edited:

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bronco building takes many a curious turn and gives a few hard knocks in the process. Based on your herd of ponies, the jeep, and the barn you keep them in, you'll have a head-turner when you're done!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Well, I have been deceiving myself and everyone else. It turns out my frame was worse than I thought. After it was sand blasted I looked it over. And it was a mess. The rear frame section was rusted badly. The rear shock mounts had been busted loose and welded back on, but the top of the frame was open and it was structurally unsound. All the body mounts were badly rusted, the front shock mounts were paper thin. I had to do some soul searching. I decided I had 3 options. 1. Probably the smart, move I could part out this bronco and try to find a better one.

Looks good man, just take your time, do it right the first time..

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
If the original frame you had is the vin for this build and it is titled, I would cut that out of the frame and put it somewhere safe. Looking good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I am amazing some days. I don't know anyone who is as consistent as I am. if there is a way to screw something up I will find it EVERY time. .

like i told you from the beginning, we are brothers...most recent example, the family helped me wrestle the hard top on, over the family cage, aligned it with doors, installed several bolts etc...some time later went to look at how the liftgate brackets install (it's never been installed) and I see two large holes in hardtop...I had forgotten to install the rear posts %)

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
like i told you from the beginning, we are brothers...most recent example, the family helped me wrestle the hard top on, over the family cage, aligned it with doors, installed several bolts etc...some time later went to look at how the liftgate brackets install (it's never been installed) and I see two large holes in hardtop...I had forgotten to install the rear posts %)

I am glad I am not the only one lol. oh well. the important thing is we got the job done.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
well I had some vacation days accrued so I decided to head out and pick up my big dose of tetanus gamma globulin. the difference between the tetanus shot which basically helps your immune system form antibodies against tetanus, and tetanus immune globulin is that the gamma globulin is an injection of preformed antibodies. so I hooked up my trailer. (man I love this truck it made this trip a breeze)

nU8If4K.jpg

and went on a 1150 mile road trip to meet my new best buddy Delco Nick

w1zpC3A.jpg

I got to check out his shop and inventory, it was a fun visit.

7fODf8G.jpg

then we loaded up the trailer

urKMpDF.jpg

GDNUjLt.jpg

and I headed home. this was a nice trip. I needed to get away and spend some alone time on the road. My wife who knows me so well was very gracious and let me have this time to just cruise out and pick up a new bronco body. she is the best.

so my project tetanus, is transitioning, (no Bruce Jenner jokes alright) into the mail order bronco project. but this will be a huge boost in getting my Bronco back on the road. granted not much of the original Bronco will remain however lol.

Last edited:

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
You have got to be beside yourself. That is an awesome start for your project. Good luck with it and look forward to more pics. Ken

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
we made it home safe and sound. nice road trip. now the next project fix the transmission leak on the jeep so I can get ready to put put the suspension and axles on the frame.

QGi1CIJ.jpg

n95j3tE.jpg

i08qq7P.jpg

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
so far they are getting along ok. but I will probably have to keep a close eye on them for a bit.

but honestly, I know there seems to be a big rivalry with jeeps here, and I am as much a ford guy as it gets, but there doesn't seem to be any animosity against broncos on the jeep pages. personally, I like them both. I like the little wrangler. it is like the mustang of the off road world. cheap, easy to work on, you can find them everywhere and the parts are easy to come by, and there is a huge aftermarket support. the Bronco is more like a 55-57 thunderbird. A bit classier, more rare, more expensive, and the parts are more expensive. but both cool in there own right. JMO